This is the largest of the cities in Pottawatomie county, having a population of about 1800. It is located on the banks of the Kaw, and also on the main line of the Kansas Pacific Railroad; is 103 miles west of Kansas City, and is the end of the first division of the above road. The company have erected large buildings which are used for round houses, machine shops &c., and give employement to large numbers of men. The town was first surveyed and plat filed, June 12, 1866, by Hugh S. Walsh, since which time several additions have been platted and filed. Wamego enjoys an excellent trade, and bids fair to be one of the best cities west of Topeka. Her inhabitants are of that progressive, intelligent class, as to leave no uncertainty as to the future success of the city.
The following is a list of the business houses of Wamego:
Furniture - Dearin & Lake, S. C. Lamb.
Livery Stables - Loucks & Perkins, Geo. E. Dodge.
Jewelers - H. E. Poert, ---Lydecker.
Milliners - Mrs. O. N. Detwiler Mrs. C. A. Peterman.
Hotels - Merritt house, F. M. Tuttle; Ames house, Jno Ames; Avenue house, Thad Jenkins.
Harness and Saddlery - D. C. Carl, Charles Lebow.
Drug Stores - J. M. Boys, M. D. Stone, Parden & Keys, H. F. Thayer.
Meat Markets - Alex. Irwin, W. N. Brink, Buzzard Bros.
Flouring Mills - Henry Voge.
Boots and Shoes - M. Michener.
Opera House - L. R. Leach.
Churches - Presbyterian, Rev. J. W. Crawford, pastor; M. E., Rev. P. T. Rhodes, pastor; Baptist, Rev. C. J. Coulier, pastor; Catholic, Father Whitman, pastor; Second M. E., Rev. White, pastor.
Schools - Enrollment 500; teachers 5; Prof. A. H. Kimmell, principal.
Secret Societies - Anchor Lodge, A. O. U. W. 125; Wamego, F. A. M., 75; Kaw Valley Chapter, 43, R. A. M.; Wamego Lodge, I. O. O. F., 80; Wamego Encampment, I. O. O. F., 36; G. A. R., O. P. Mortom Post 38; K. of L., Harmony Assembly.
Bankers - J. C. Rogers & Co.; Wamego Bank, Trout & Leach, proprietor.
City Officers - Mayor, W. R. Johnson; City Clerk, W. D. Embly; acting Marshal, George Simpson, Treasurer, J. M. Boys; Councilmen, J. Grieves, J. C. Steltzner, A. Welty, G. E. Dodge, Sim Dearin; Board of Health, W. R. Johnson, D. F. Rogers, J. D. Purdey.
Newspapers - Kansas Report, Davis & Son; Kansas Agriculturist, E. A. Weller; Wamego Democrat - Murray & Smick.
Real Estate and Loan Agents - Chilicott & Parry, Davis & Son, J. A. butts, Browne & Embley, Limerick Bros.
Lawyers - D. V. Sprague, L. H. Finney(?), Moninger & Kelley, P. Nagle, J. L. Browne.
Billard Halls - E. J.Blair and Ed. George.
Wagon Repairers - Wm. Daweese, Charles Haug.
Lumber Yards - Iron Clad Store Company, J. C. Rogers & Co.
Barbers - J. L. Ratley, J. R. Alexander and A. Lansinger.
Physicians - A. Morral, M. M. Morgan, A. D. Smith, C. W. Thayer, R. Dobbins, O. A. Purdey.
Justices of the Peace - J. H. Weirman, S. Fec.
Contractors and Builders - Charles Dudlext, C. E. Hathaway, Richards & McDougal, Jack Grieves, J. P. Hook, A. Welty.
Draymen - Geo. Leland, John Deweese, Al. Larson, John Finley.
Blacksmiths - Wm. Boyd, A. Falska, Riley & Bennett.
Wood Yard - John Prunty.
Marble Works - Chadwick & Rawson.
Books and Stationery - Davis & Leach.
Cigar Makers - Tobias Herr.
Merchant Tailer - Julius Leach.
Photographer - J. D. Hammaker.
Coal Dealer - Vinnedge Bros.
Groceries and Provisions - C. N. Baker, Johnson & Cotton, T. D. Mills, M. S. Combs.
Dry Goods, etc. - Prunty & Deweese, Jackson & Pierce.
Hardware &c - Trout & Leach, J. C. Rogers & Co., S. Stover.
General Merchandise - A. S. Longley, Henry Hesse.
Organs, Pianos, &c - Mrs. Amy Mynatt, Wm. Stover.
Restaurants - Hecker Bros., Mrs. Wilson, Mrs. Regnier, Jenkins Bros., W. Springstein.
Olsburg is a Swedish settlement, for the most part. Its population is about 200, and of that sterling worth, which, while not given to castle-building, will always little by little improve their town until it will be one of the necessaries of the north-western portion of Pottawatomie county. It is on the line of the Kansas Central railway, and 108 miles west of Leavenworth. The Lutherans have a good church building with a large congregation. The Methodist and Baptist hold services occasionally at the school house. Prof. J. R. Limbocker has charge of the public schools. The enrollment is 68. The following is a list of the business houses:
Bankers - W. A. Allen & Son.
General Merchandise - O. Fagerberg & Bro.; Carlson Bros.
Drugs - Ole Johnson, E. M. Allen.
Physicians - Dr. J. W. Stevens, Dr. J. S. Spangler.
Furniture - Ole Johnson.
Lumber and Implements - J. E. Holm & Bro.
Livery Stables - Jake Peterson.
Hotel - Dr. J. W. Stewart.
Meat Market - C. B. Carlson.
Harness Maker - Reiberg.
Flouring Mill - O. Fagergerg & Bro.
Grain and Stock Buyers - C. Fagerberg, C. Carlson.
Shoe Store - Schoenback & Mulloy.
Blacksmith Shop - Soder.
Barber Shop - Chas. Kelfer.
has one store - Jacob Van Brunt, proprietor; also postmaster. It is located in Sherman township.
This pleasant little city of 1200 inhabitants is nicely situated on the Kaw river, in the extreme south-eastern portion of the county, and is one of the promising places on the line of the U. P. Railway, 90 miles distant form Kansas City. Its citizens are of that intelligent, go-ahead class who will see to it that that city is second to none in the county, so far as push and energy is concerned. Though it has twice suffered from the ravages of fire, yet has its business men come to the front of each occasion, and endeavored to make it more substantial by the creation of stone and brick builldings instead of the burned ones. By referring to the city Journal, we find that its first council meeting was held in 1871, with A. Higbee as mayor, and John McAnery, clerk. Its present city officers are: mayor, J. J. Welsh; treasurer, P. G. Olson; clerk, Geo. S. Wheatley; marshal, John Quigley, councilmen, A. Urbansky, James Keating, Gus. Bochringer, N. Hanson and A. Nelson. The St. Malrys' Catholic College, with an enrollment of 350 pupils, and The Sister's School, are located here. The public schools, with an enrollment of 100 pupils is under charge of Miss Kate Hutchinson, principal. The Catholic church has a large number of worshippers in this city. The M. E., Congregational and Lutheran churches have larger congregations and are prosperous.
St. Marys enjoys a renumerative trade from the surrounding country. The following is a partial list of the business houses:
General Merchandise - Anderson & Co.; E. J. Flynn & Bro.; Erbacher Bros.; Henery Hegner.
Groceries - Carlston & Griffith; Mohler & Bell; George Mohler.
Dry Goods and Clothing - A. B. Pool, A. Urbansky, Cohen & Soldstandt, Henry Cohn.
Millinery - Mrs. O'Flanaghan.
Banks - First National, J. A. Moss, Cashier; Silas H. Warren.
Drug Stores - W. H. True, James Mohan, Zelpher Bros., Easten & Mohler, Z. A. P. Teneyck, Miller & Gallagher.
Billiard Hall - William Montaw.
Bowling Alley - J. P. Howard.
Lawyers - Hagan & McKay, E. H. Kearney, J. A. Shaw.
Auctioneer - J. J. Welsh.
Transfer and Dray - Harper & Williams, Harper & Petros, J. Erbacher.
Photographers - S. S. Finley & Co.Harness Shop - Demarias & Lareau.
Blacksmith and Wagon Shops - George Ullrick, McCabe & Steinmetz
Barbers - Gus Boehringer.
Agricultural Implements - Seeger & Helm.
Livery Stables - Welch & Sons, John Brady, Costello Bros.
Produce Dealers - Lewis & Chester.
Flouring Mills - P. H. McHale.
Planning Mill - Joseph Schelosky.
Elevators - A. C. Sherman.
Jeweler - Archie Armstrong.
Real Estate - A. J. Beakey, R. R. Bertrand, Thos. Connaughton, S. H. Fairfield.
Meat Markets - Wirt & Co., William L. Brock, U. Larocque
Boot and Shoe Stores - Connaughton's, Gamlosky's
Grain and Stock Buyers - O'Connor & Mohler.
Hardware and Furniture - J. Henrietta, Joseph Shelosky
Lumber - Ungler Bros., Western LUmber Co., Townsend & Hathaway, P. H. McHale.
Grain and Coal - Trumbo & Co.,
Restaurants - Winter's Joseph Decker
Newspaper - Express, L. E. Hoffman, editor; Star, Geo. S. Wheatly, ediitor.
Hotels - Commercial House, C. J. McClelland; Bertrand House, Mrs. Bertrand; Chester House, Frank Chester.
Louisville was recorded as a town site in 1857. It was named after Louis Wilson, one of the early settlers. Louisville was for many years the county seat, and lies three miles north of Wamego, and seventeen miles south of Westmoreland. It lies on both sides of Rock Creek. It is very pleasantly located. The famous Iron Springs, on the south side, have become a popular resort, and wondrous cures have been effected at this popular resort. The population of Louisville is about 600, and the business men are of a solid type, who admit of nothing short of their town and township. The people of the county admire the citizens of this place for their true worth, and honest manliness. The school enrollment is 241, Prof. W. R. Shriner, principal; Mrs. Sue Benton, Miss Amelia Bittmann, and Miss Gussie Arnold, teachers. The M. E. church, Rev. Beattie, pastor; Congregationalist, Rev. Graves, pastor. The Odd Fellows have a magnificient hall, and 75 members. The A. O. U. W. have a good hall and 25 members. The following are the business houses of this place:
General Merchandise - C. W. Bittmann, Travis and Tucker, Major Harrison.
Flouring Mills - Union Mills, A. C. Merritt.
Hardware - C. E. Tucker.
Furniture - Mrs. Hall, D. Shultz.
Newspaper - Republican, Hayes and Anderson.
Blacksmiths - R. J. Hodgson, Chilcott and Balderson.
Wagon Maker - J. F. Dearth.
Physicians - Dr. J. Sabin, Dr. A. H. Brill, Dr. Millard, Dr. Hazzard.
Attorneys - C. E. Johnson.
Hotels - Mechanics House, A. S. Kemper; A. S. Potts.
Tinner and P. M. - James McKowen.
Barber and Confectioner - J. L. Brown.
Skating Rink - John Tucker.
Shoemaker - J. Wheeler.
Harness Maker - J. C. Frey.
Drug Store - Wm. Clark.
Brick Yards Jehu Allen, Lee Daniels.
Grain and Stock - Merritt and Hopkins.
Transfer - Jas. Arnold.
Well Drillers Richey and Wright.
Thoroughbred Stock - J. W. Arnold.
a village of about 100 souls, laid out in 1871, is situated midway between St. Marys and Wamego, on the U. P. Railway. The M. E. and M. P. both have church buildings. The schools here are prosperous, under the management of Prof. Watt. The following are the business houses:
General Merchandise - M. D. Huston.
Flouring Mill - M. thompson.
Grain Buyers: Thompson and Stevens, J. W. Pierson.
Physicians: Dr. Watt, Dr. Batchelor.
Carpenters: Clator and Son, B. G. Everett.
RinkHuston and Sharp.
Belvue House: B. F. Everett.
This lively city was organized as a town in 1877. In January, 1878, A. E. Landon and Co. J. B. Hubbell, with their families, were the only people on the town site. It was declared a city, in 1879 - since which time it has grown rapidly; and the citizens having faith in its permanancy have caused to be erected substantial stone and brick buildings, which now tend to make it look more aged than it really is. Onaga has a thriving, straight forward class of business men who land every endeavor to the success and prosperity of the city.
The churches represented and holding services there are the Methodists, Baptists, Congregationalists and Catholics. It has excellent schools - enrollment 175; with Prof. J. W. Dunn, as principal, and Miss Ella Grover and Miss Carrie O'Menra, assistants. The Odd Fellows, Masons, K. of P.'s; and G. A. R.'s, have large lodges and good attendance. Below will be found a list of the business houses:
Jeweler - C. S. Beeson
Drug Stores - J. A. Kester, Midlam and McClellan.
/Hotel - Batson House, W. T. Batson.
BankOnaga Exchange, Henry Storch.
Barbers - Henry Ballein, Walter Reed.
Restaurants - Frank Hubbell, Mrs. Ballein.
Hardware and Implements - Rogers and Miner, Miller Bros., McLarnan and Ghuse.
is on the line of the U. P. 110 miles west of Kansas City. Its population is about 150. The survey of this town was made in the year 1857, by J. A. J. Champman. This is the oldest town in the county, and was at one time the county seat of Pottawatomie county. The M. E. church have a building, with Rev. A. W. McWright, pastor; the Christian church hold services at the school house - Rev. Mathews, pastor. The puplic (sic) schools are in charge of Prof. McClare, and the attendance is very large. The following is a list of the business houses:
Merchandise: E. B. Purcell, Mr. Dalton, manger; C. T. Chipps, Ellis Griffith.
Physician: Dr. J. D. Karr.
Grain Elevator: E. B. Pursell.
Carpenters and Contractors: W. H. Gee, H. H. Cook.
Real Estate: E. Walker.
Grain Dealers: E. B. Purcell, Frank Holuba.
Meat Market: Smith.
Billiard Hall: Geo. W. Diehl.
Livery Stable: W. Vail.
is an enterprising town of about 100 inhabitants on the line of the K. C. Ry. north-east of Westmoreland. The people are thrifty and honest, and the town enjoys a good trade from the surrounding country. The schools are under the supervision of Miss Carrie Canfield. Those doing business there are:
General Merchandise: C. Stone, A. Ingalsbe, Hasty and Goodman, Chas Gallager.
Stock Dealer: C. E. Morris.
Hotel: Lyman Clark.
Blacksmith: L. E. Jones.
Physician: Dr. O. C. Kessler.,
Livery Stables: ___________
Hardware and Lumber: J. N. Force.
Grain Buyer: Chas. Ingalsbe.
is a berg of about fifty inhabitants, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Vermillion, in Center township. There is here, an excellent graded school; religioous services are held each week at the school house. The following firms do business here:br>
Merchandise Dealers: J. V. Rowles, Enoch Weese.
Flouring Mills: L. C. Prunty.
Physician: Dr. J. W. Farrow.
Blacksmith: E. Knouse.
is situated in the eastern portion of the county, in the township of the same name. It has about seventy-five inhabitants; churches, a good school building, hotel, etc. The firms doing busines here, as near as we can ascertain are:
Merchandise Dealer: . S. Blaylock.
Blacksmiths J. M. Wade, J. R. Hodgson.
Druggists: Murray and Lewis
is a thriving hamlet containing, a school house, Swedish Lutheran and Swedish Methodist churches, a blacksmith shop; and a co-operative store - J. W. Williams, manager. It is located in the west and northern part of the county.
is locatred in Spring Creek township. At this place the Methodists have recently completed an excellent church building, and hold services regularly. The schools are taught by Miss May Gould. The store and posotoffice are presided over by John Nason.
is located in Pottawatomie township. It has an excellent store, Jesse Harvey, proprietor; also postmaster.
This page was last modified 4 June 1997.
- Home Page for Kansas State Library