- Changed to Gretna: Established January 28, 1888. Platted town. Changed toGretna April 29, 1907 by railroad. SW corner NW1/4 26-3-17. Postmasters: Sidney L. HOWARD, January 28, 1888; Melvin S. HOWARD, May 17, 1899; Link H. KELSEN, December 3, 1912; Hubert A. SMITH, April 5, 1917; Mary T. RYAN, June 21, 1918; Giles L. CRAMPTON, March 19, 1923; Charles A. SMEDLEY, August 4, 1926; Mrs. Alvena S. KINNEY, January 5, 1937; Mrs. Lucile WILLIAMS, December 9, 1937; Mrs. Cecil V. SMITH, March 28, 1942; Betty Jo WOODARD, March 10, 1945; Discontinued March 19, 1945. At one time had bank, general store, hardware store, school house, etal, and elevator. The elevator is all there is standing today.
This information originally appeared in PHILLIPSBURG - PHILLIPS COUNTY CENTENNIAL 1872 - 1972. Published by the Phillipsburg Centennial Committee which was edited and compiled by Cecil KINGERY.
Phillipsburg Centennial Committee Members:
Luetta MALEY, Joy KENDALL, Cecil KINGERY, JoAnn LUMPKIN, Kay BURNS, Libby MASON, McDill "Huck" BOYD, Judy PARTINGTON, Dan HEINZE, Larry BOEVE.
Return to Early Towns of Phillips County
Return to Phillips County
- Home Page for Kansas State Library