KIRWIN, PHILLIPS COUNTY, KS HISTORY

SETTLEMENT OF KIRWIN KANSAS

The first settlement of Phillips County to grow into a town was Kirwin. It was located by William Swanson and John McBride in 1870 and was originally called Benton for a short time. In June 1871, Henry Bean and John Butler were appointed to plat and lay out the town. The Town Company included Felix S. Gandy, William D. Street, Henry P. Gandy, Isaac V. Lee, David U. Halstead, Wilson Wood, and James A. Scarbrough. kirwin.jpg - 40394 Bytes Kirwin Town Square
Photo taken by Sevella Ethel Donn in 1908.

Oldest town in Phillips County. Located in Sections 27 and 28, Twp 4, Range 16. Established 1870. Postmasters: Henry P. GANDY, May 1872; Thomas N. NICKERSON, May 21, 1872; Charles L. DUSTIN, April 17, 1873; Wm. T. BELFORD, February 16, 1874; B.F. SOZIER, January 17, 1881; Wm. T. MAY, April 3, 1883; Charles E. MONELLY, July 26, 1886; Mrs. Mary L. WHITE, September 19, 1889; Alexander BARRON, March 19, 1897; Joseph J. LANDES, February 11, 1914; Gordon K. LOGAN, September 8, 1922; Orville K. McQUEEN, June 18, 1935; Harrison Peter LANDES, March 31, 1941; Mrs. Kathryn M. LANDES, January 31, 1943; Theodore F. STUCKMAN, February 12, 1944.

This information originally appeared in PHILLIPSBURG - PHILLIPS COUNTY CENTENNIAL 1872 - 1972. Published by the Phillipsburg Centennial Committee which was edited and compiled by Cecil KINGERY.

The article "Early Towns of County" pg. 11, was written by Roy McDOWELL from the personal research of Cecil KINGERY and the Phillips County Record.

Phillipsburg Centennial Committee Members:
Luetta MALEY, Joy KENDALL, Cecil KINGERY, JoAnn LUMPKIN, Kay BURNS, Libby MASON, McDill "Huck" BOYD, Judy PARTINGTON, Dan HEINZE, Larry BOEVE.


Modern Day Kirwin

Return to Early Towns of Phillips County

Return to Phillips County

KS GenWeb

Blue Skyways
- Home Page for Kansas State Library