continued in charge until the spring of 1883. E. A. Barber followed with a three months' pastorate.
When Elder Lewis Bauer became pastor once more continuing as such until February 1, 1885.
On February 12, 1885 the membership numbering 94, called George E. Dew to dedicate to the Lord the house and grounds they now occupy.
Elder Dew held a short meeting and shortly after the church secured J. W. B. Smith as pastor, who continued until November 25, 1886, membership 143.
For the following facts we are largely indebted to a biographical sketch by F. M. Rains in the Disciple: J. W. B. Smith was born in Estill county, Kentucky, August 30, 1847. He was left an orphan at a very early age and experienced all the hardships incident to such a misfortune. He entered the United States army when but a mere boy and served till the close of the war. He was wounded during his service. He is an enthusiastic member of the G. A. R., and has delivered many addresses for that order, whose merit has been recognized by requests for their publication almost without exception.
Mr. Smith completed the English course at Hamilton, Kentucky, being accorded the first honors of the class. He took the "classical course" at an institution, which afterwards merged into Burrett college, but did not receive his degree, as a charter had not been obtained. He was happily united in marriage to Miss N. A. Jones, Jan. 6, 1868. They recently passed their 25th anniversary and were presented with a silver tea service by their church. His early life was devoted to teaching in which he was very successful.
Georgetown, Ohio, was his first pastorate, which he resigned after an acceptable service of nearly two years to accept a call to Hamlin, Kansas, where he served two years and was unanimously called for the third but declined, to accept the pastorate at Norton upon the completion of their present house of worship. His labors here were greatly blessed. The membership was increased by 61; a bell was placed in the church and other substantial improvements were made. His audiences were uniformly large, often taxing the capacity of the building. He was forced to resign his work here on account of throat trouble after a service of about a year and a half.
A surgical operation has removed this difficulty and he has held successful pastorates at Garden City, Kansas, Huntsville, Missouri, Litchfield, Illinois, and Pratt, Kansas, where he is located at present.
Mr. Smith is a close student, an accurate thinker and an eloquent speaker. To hear him is to admire him, to know him is to love him. He deservedly stands in the front rank of the Kansas ministry.
During his ministry more than two thousand have been added to the congregations for which he has labored.
S. J. Vance then became pastor and continued in charge until May 1, 1888: Elder George E. Dew came in May, 1888, and continued as pastor for sixteen months. H. J. Decker, S. A. Nesbet, H. A. Mason and J. W. Hedges from November 1, 1890 until May 1, 1892. The membership was then 183. The church called A. Calhoun May 1, 1892, as pastor; he continued as such for fourteen months. At the time of his resignation the church roll was 231, deaths and removals 49, actual membership 182. April 16, 1893 Rev. H. L. Burns became pastor; he has just closed his first year, during which time the membership was increased by 42 additions, deaths and removals 18, actual gain 24. The church has a good property, out of debt and a bright prospect before it
H. L. Burns was born in the city of Mansfield, Ohio, October 30, 1837. He
|KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by Tom & Carolyn Ward for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project. Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.|
web design ©2003 by Ardie Grimes,
Norton County, Kansas GenWeb coordinator
Text and photos from this 1894 book are within the public domain