The History of the Early Settlement of Norton County, Kansas

Page 131

back

next

table of contents

 
as a candidate for state auditor in 1892.  He received a large vote but failed to receive the nomination.  He was appointed United States commissioner in 1890, which office he still holds.  He is an expert accountant and is considered the finest penman in north-west Kansas.  He is one of the leaders of the republican party in north-west Kansas.

griffin.JPG (31783 bytes) George H. Griffin came to Norton county in September 1874 and took charge of a small stock of goods belonging to Hallowell and Vantrump of Belleville.  In a very short time he bought the store and continued the general merchantile (sic) business until 1884 when he sold out to Charles H. Fry.  He built up a large trade; many people coming fifty and one hundred miles to trade with him.  He was the most successful merchant that ever did business in Norton.  He was for several years engaged in the live stock business with Simpson and Lockard at the same time continuing his merchantile (sic) business.  He owned and operated a livery barn in WaKeeny for some years and was at different times interested in several stage lines running into Norton.  In the spring 1885 he and C.W. Sponsler started the Farmers' Exchange Bank, G. H. Griffin president and C. W. Sponsler, cashier.  In 1886 they built the fine brick bank building on the corner which they sold together with their bank to the First National Nov. 1 '89.  Griffin has since that time devoted his time to farming and feeding cattle.  He is one of the largest real estate owners in the county and was for several years the heaviest tax payer in Norton county.  He is a thorough business man and has been successful in nearly every business he has engaged in.  He has never been a candidate for office but takes a lively part in public questions and always votes the republican ticket.

George H. Griffin was married to Isabelle Blanding September 18, 1877; they had three children, two of them still living.  Oliyer G., born July 11.1878; Clara B. April 9, 1880.  Mrs. Griffin died December 12, 1882.

He was again married on February 16, 1888 to Miss Fannie E Tucker.  She was born in Indiana, attended Greensburg High school and adopted the vocation of teacher, which she followed for fifteen years.  She earned nearly $4,000, the most of which she spent educating her younger sisters after the father's death, which occurred when the children were young.  She and her brother Ed Tucker came to Cambridge, Nebraska., and took claims in 1884; she taught the first school in her district after making proof of her homestead.  She took a preemption in Colorado, at the same time securing a position in the United States land office at Akron, Colorado.  After deeding her preemption she returned and taught her last school in the winter of 1877.

Page 131

back

next

table of contents

 


US GenWeb Home Page


KS GenWeb Home Page



Home Page for Kansas



Search  KS GenWeb Project

KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by Tom & Carolyn Ward for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.  Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page. 

web design 2003 by Ardie Grimes,
Norton County, Kansas GenWeb coordinator
Text and photos from this 1894 book are within the public domain