Some of the businesses in the year 1895 were:
Raffety & Nesmith, Merchants
Kruse and Buehring Implements and Real Estate
S.R. Lawson, Implements
Sylvan State Bank; Berger Bros; Merchants
Rein Wohler, Druggist
W.H. McAdams, Barber
Wm. Osterfund, Meat Market
John Gallagher, Harness
Schermerhorn & Co. Merchants
Latto & Robinson, Implements, Wheat & Coal
Kansas Lumber Co.
Bowen - Brumbaugh, Livery
Knapp & Norris Hardware
J.P. Grim, Millinery, Sewing Machines and Organs
Ira C. Buzick, Lawyer
I. Lamphier, Hotel
Charles Sigley, Shoes
E.P. Goff, Jewelry
In 1897 a fire on the west side of main street wiped out several of the
businesses. From the "Alert" comes the following: "The buildings burned and
total losses sustained were as follows: Seirer's blacksmith shop, $500.;
Barber Shop, $75; Raffety & Nesmith's store, $20,000; Goff's stock, $150;
Gallagher's Harness Shop, $1,200; Knapp & Co's Store, $3,600; Bank $700."
In 1905, Bert Blythe moved to town. He has tried to remember the businesses
that were located in town that year. The following lists and descriptions
are in no way intended to be complete.
Located on the west side of main street near the tracks was the P.V.
Elevator which later was Shellabarger's, the Lawson Grain Co., Norris Grain
Co., and is now owned by the Farmer's Elevator. An elevator farther west
was the Robinson Grain Co. Beside it was Latto and Robinson's Lumberyard,
which also handled coal.
Mrs. VanWie owned the hotel which later was run by Dad Boyle, Christinie
Reinert, R.W. Wohler, Fred Meyer, Sam Oller, Gene Naegele, and Bonnie
Next to the hotel was a Barber shop during the years it was run by Pudge
Hurlbut, Mr. Montgomery, and Bill Johnson. Osterfunds Meat Market was next.
it was later run by Herbert Blythe and then it became a cafe run by Ben and
Edith Wright. Later Milt Shaffer had a harness shop here. The building
burned in 1932 or 1933.
Raffety's large new store built after the fire of '97 was next. The Raffety
store had a grocery store on the south, Dry Goods store in the middle and a
Mens' Wear store on the north. During the year of 1905, a tragic fire
occurred in the store. Susie S. Mahoney and Honobe J. Mahoney were in the
store when fireworks accidentally caught on fire. Running for the entrance
they lost their way and became trapped in the windows. Honobe Mahoney, age
eleven, died on June 28, 1905 and Susie age nine died on June 29, 1905. At
this time a city ordinance was made prohibiting the sale of fireworks in the
In 1936, the Raffety store was sold to Roderick who became partners with
Stuive. Tiny Minear was undertaker for them. They also sold John Deere
implements, hardware and furniture. Johnny Koch was the last business in
the building. It was torn down in the spring of 1976.
The Yellow Front was a pool hall with a barber chair. At one time it was
run by Fox, a gambler and Ziegler, a bartender. The building is currently
owned by the city and is slated to be torn down. Next was Jess Knapp's
Hardware. It was later Saenger hardware and then Harwi hardware. Stuive
had a hardware store and then George Corbett had a pool hall in the
building. After that it was Hopfer Grocery. The Legion obtained the
building for their hall.
In 1905, Calene and Berger owned the next store. It was then owned by Joe
Krysl and following that Thaemert's. The last building on the block was the
Sylvan State Bank building which replaced the wooden building that had
burned in 1897. This building was used for the post office. John and
Myrtle Lang had a Ladies' Wear here. Benchmark Antiques owned by Lon and
Phyllis Buzick are currently in the building.
Crossing the street and moving on to the north in the year 1905 was found
Reinhold Wohler's Drugstore, later run by Blaine Pinney, then Stoy Ware. In
later years it was used as a Doctor's office for Dr. Dlabal. Dan Metz
currently owns the building and operates a part time Lawyer's office.
Behrhorst Brothers Hardware was the next store. In 1925, S.M. Lawson and
Co. bought the store and have operated it ever since. The Butcher Shop was
the third of the three stone buildings. It was run by Fred Meyer, Ray Peck,
Raymond Skaggs, Robert Cross, Henry Kiers and the Joy Krysl. Before 1905
the Heller Cafe and Hotel was located on this site. It burned down.
Next to the butcher shop was W.W. Dehler's One Price Groceries and Dry
Goods. Later it was a Pool Hall and Recreation. It was torn down. The
next building was Hans Peterson's Furniture and Undertaking. It was later
run by Kirk Gladden. At one time Shorty Addington had a Pool Hall and Cold
Drinks. It was also torn down.
North was Fred Thaemert's Music Store. Minnie Johnson had a millinery store
and later Mr. and Mrs. Bosch operated a dime store in the building. It was
eventually torn down.
Part 2, Business and Industry in Sylvan Grove
Part 3, Business and Industry in Sylvan Grove
Part 4, Business and Industry in Sylvan Grove
Return to:[Lincoln County Kansas Genealogy][Lincoln County Kansas Queries]
DO YOU HAVE
QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, CONTRIBUTIONS FOR US?
Bill and Diana Sowers, Lincoln County Coordinators
Tracee Hamilton, Lincoln County Coordinator
Home Page for Kansas
|Search all of Blue Skyways|
Copyright 1997, 1998 by Bill and Diana Sowers