KansasGenWeb Logousgenweb.gif

Lincoln
Carnegie
Library


History

In 1913, after approving a .4 mill levy and $600 for annual maintenance, Lincoln citizens received a $6,000 grant from the Carnegie Corporation to construct a public library.
Built by Wilson & Gilbert of Hoxie and Plainville, the building featured native limestone and a red tile roof.
Opened on May 6, 1914, the structure has since been remodeled inside and a new red tile roof was recently added. The outside of the building has maintained its original beauty and the library continues to be a resource for Lincoln and the surrounding community.

Librarians

Mary Rathbun, 1903-1914
Mrs. Albert W. Orr, 1914-1917
Nellie Hawkins, 1917-1921
Mrs. L.W. Wait, 1921-1939
Doreen Payne, 1939-1941
Pearl Metz, 1941-1942
Alice Raplee Ryan, 1942-1976
Ailene Bowie, 1976-1978
Ellen Searles, 1978-1982
Sylvia Ortiz, 1982-1984
Patricia Florence, 1984-1988
Connie Budreau, 1988-2001
Nancy Jensen, 2002-
Return to Lincoln County Kansas Genealogy main page.


DO YOU HAVE
QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, CONTRIBUTIONS FOR US?

Bill and Diana Sowers, Lincoln County Coordinators
Tracee Hamilton, Lincoln County Coordinator


Home Page for Kansas Search all of Blue Skyways

Copyright 1997, 1998 by Bill and Diana Sowers