From the collections at the Leavenworth County Historical Society and Museum. Reprinted with permission from The Leavenworth County Historical Society and Museum and the Leavenworth Times. Donated by Debra Graden.

Names and Dates Which Are A Part of The History And Tradition of

Early Fort Leavenworth

Leavenworth Chronicle, Thursday, Sept. 14, 1933

 

1881--In G. O. No. 42 A. G. O. May 7, 1881, General W. T. Sherman, Commanding the United States Army directed that "as soon as the requisite number of troops can be assembled at Fort Leavenworth Kansas, the Commanding General, Department of Missouri, establish a school of application for infantry and cavalry.

1882--G. O. Nn. 8, A. G. O. Jan. 6, 1882, established the school of Application for Cavalry and Infantry.

1883--The first class was graduated and there after until including the year 1897, a class was graduated every second year. The class which started in September of 1897 was relieved in April, 1898, for duty with troops on account of the Spanish-American War.

1886--G. O. Nn. 39, A. G. O. June 22, 1886 changed the name of the school to the United States Infantry and Cavalry school.

1888--G. O. Nn. 17, A. G. O. Feb. 21, 1890, provided for the designation as "Honor Graduates" of the "three officers of the graduating class who shall have most distinguished themselves by general proficiency in the prescribed courses of study."

1890--On October 20, 1890 the school transferred from the headquarters building on the southwest corner of Sumner Place to the main building of the former ordinance arsenal which had been vacated by the headquarters of the Department of Missouri when the latter moved to St. Louis.

1893--G. O. Nn. 57, A. G. O. July 12, 1893, directed that the number of honor graduates designated in any particular class be not less than three nor more than five.

1898-1902--The operation of the school was suspended on account of the Spanish American War.

1902--G. O. Nn. 89, A. G. O. August 1, 1802(sic 1902) published a program of instructions for the reopened school which was designated, the General Service and Staff College. A one year was prescribed. The school continued during 1903 with a one year course.

1904--G. O.Nn. 115, W. D. June 27, 1904, directed the reorganization of the school on a two year basis designating the first year as the Infantry and Cavalry school and the second year at the staff College.

1904--January 11, 1904, the school separated from the post.

1904--The army signal school was established.

1905--In G. O. Nn. 140, W. D. Aug. 19, 1905, the basic school was designated the U. S. Infantry and Cavalry school.

1907--In G. O. Nn. 211, W. d. Oct. 15, 1907, the basic school was designated at the Army school of the Line.

1908--A merger of the officers' Schools at Fort Leavenworth, comprising the Army School of the Line, the Staff College and the Army Signal School was designated at the army service schools.

1910--The Army Field Engineer School was established.

1916--The Army Field Engineer School was discontinued as part of the Army Service Schools.

1917-1919--The operation of the schools was suspended on account of the World War.

1917--In July, 1917, the post of Fort Leavenworth and the General Service Schools were merged into a single command.

1919--Under the provisions of G. O. Nn. 112, W. D. Sept. 25, 1919, the Schools were reopened after the World War and designated the General Service Schools. These schools included the School of the Line and the General Staff School.

1919--The Army Signal School was discontinued as part of the General Service Schools in 1922. The command and General Staff Correspondent School was established.

1922--The Army School of the Line and General Staff School was discontinued and the Command and General Staff School was established in their stead. Part of the work covered in the General Staff School was transferred to the Army War College and part of the Command and General Staff School.

1922--On July 1, 1922, the former Post Headquarters Office of record was consolidated with that of the headquarters of the General Service Schools, although the two offices had been under the Commandant of the Schools since July 1917.

1924--The special Command and General Staff Course for Officers of the National Guards (sic Guard) and Organized Reserves was established.

1924--The Chaplains' School was transferred to Fort Leavenworth, but was not made part of the General Service Schools.

 

AUGUR--Augur Avenue, in honor of Brigadier General Christopher C. augur, U.S.A. who served in the Mexican war, Indian campaigns and the Civil War.

BUFORD--Buford Avenue, in honor of Major General John Buford, U.S.A. who served in the Indian campaign and in the Civil War.

CUSTER--Custer Avenue, in honor of Major General George A. Custer, U.S.A. Served in the Civil War. Killed in action with the Sioux Indians at Little Big Horn River, Montana, June 25, 1876.

DONIPHAN--Doniphan Avenue, in honor of Colonel Stephen W. Doniphan, U. S. Vol., who commanded the 1st Missouri volunteers as part of General S. W. Kearney's Command during the Mexican War and who led Doniphans' expidition[sic] in Mexico.

GIBBON--Gibbon Avenue, in honor of Major General John Gibbon, U.S.A. Served in the Indian campaigns and in the Civil War.

GRANT--Grant Avenue, in honor of Ulysses S. Grant, Commander-in-chief of the United States Army during the Civil War.

KEARNEY--Kearney Avenue, in honor of Major General Stephen W. Kearney, U.S.A., who served in the war of 1812 and in the Mexican War. He led the army of the west from Fort Leavenworth to Santa Fe, New Mexico during the Mexican War.

McCLELLAN--McClellan Avenue, in honor of Major General George B. McClellan, U.S.A., who served in the Mexican War and in the Civil War.

McDOWELL--McDowell Avenue, in honor of Major General Irvin McDowell, U.S.A., who served in the Mexican War and Civil War.

McPHERSON--McPherson Avenue, in honor of Major General James B. McPherson, U.S.A., who served in the Civil War.

MEADE--Meade Avenue, in honor of Major General George G. Meade, U.S.A., who served in the Mexican War and in the Civil War.

MERRITT--Merritt Place, in honor of Major General Wesley Merritt, U.S.A., who served in the Civil War, Indian Campaigns and in the Spanish American War.

POPE--Pope Avenue, in honor of Major General John Pope, U.S.A., who served in the Mexican and Civil Wars and who as Commander of the Department of Missouri in 1881, greatly assisted in establishing the Cavalry and Infantry School.

REYNOLDS--Reynolds Avenue, in honor of Colonel John F. Reynolds who served in the war with Mexico, Indian Campaigns and the Civil War.

SCOTT Avenue, in honor of Major General Winfield Scott, U.S.A., who served in the War of 1812 and who commanded the United States Army in the Mexican War.

SEDGWICK--Sedgwick Avenue, in honor of Major General John Sedgwick who served in the Mexican War, Indian campaigns and the Civil War.

SHERMAN--Sherman Avenue, in honor of Major General William T. Sherman, U.S.A., who served in the Mexican War and the Civil War and who in 1881 as commanding General of the Army directed the establishment of the Cavalry and Infantry School.

SHERIDAN--Sheridan Drive, in honor of Major General Philip H. Sheridan, U.S.A., who served in the Indian Campaigns and in the Civil War.

SUMNER--Sumner Place, in honor of Major General Edwin V. Sumner, U.S.A., who served in the Mexican War, Indian campaigns and the Civil War.

THOMAS--Thomas Avenue, in honor of Major General George H. Thomas, U.S.A.

UPTON--Upton Avenue, in honor of Major General Emory Upton, U.S.A., who served in the Civil War and who, through his writings, contributed much to military education.

WINT--Wint Avenue, in honor of Brigadier General Theodore J. Wint, U.S.A., who served in the Civil War.

 

Building Names

BROUGHTON--Broughton Memorial, Kearney Avenue, named by Hancock Lodge No. 316 A. F. and A. M. in honor of Colonel Daniel H. Broughton, 10th Cavalry, who during the period 1904-1908 served successfully as senior Instructor in the Department of Law and Military Art, and as assistant Commandant at the general service schools. He died at Fort Huachuca, Arizona in 1914.

BOYD--Boyd Hall, No. 226 Kearney Avenue, in honor of Capt. Chas. T. Boyd, 10th Cavalry, class 1916 Army Staff College, killed in action June 21, 1916, at Carrozol, Mexico.

CRAIG--Craig Hall, No. 221, Kearney Avenue, in honor of Lieutenant Colonel John M. Craig, U.S.A., Class of 1904, Infantry and Cavalry School. Killed in action July 21, 1918 in France.

DAVIS--Davis Hall, No. 196 Kearney Avenue, in honor of Colonel Wm. D. Davis, U.S.A., class of 1916, Army School of the Line. Killed in action November 1st, 1918 in France.

DICKINSON HALL--No. 55, McClellan Avenue, in honor of first Lt. Walter Dickinson, 17th Infantry, class of 1885, Infantry and Cavalry School. Died July 2, 1898 of wounds received in action at ElCaney, Santiago, Cuba.

GRANT--Grant Hall, Merritt Place in honor of Ulysses S. Grant, Commander of the United States Army during the Civil War.

GREGG--Gregg Hall, No. 214 Pope Avenue, in honor of Capt. John C. Gregg 4th Infantry, class of 1897, Infantry and Cavalry School. Killed in action March 31, 1899, near Mariquine, Luzon Philippine Islands.

JAMES--James Hall, No. 215, Pope Avenue, in honor of First Lt. John F. James, 8th Infantry, class of 1904, Infantry and Cavalry school. Killed in action August 9, 1906, Philippine Islands.

MANN--Mann Hall, No. 217 Pope Avenue, in honor of First Lt. James D. Mann. 7th Cavalry, class of 1885, Infantry and Cavalry School. Died January 15, 1891, of wounds received in action with hostile Indians near Clay Creek, South Dakota.

MICHIE--Michie Hall, No. 219 Pope Avenue, in honor of First Lt. Dennis M. Michie, 17th Infantry, class of 1898, Infantry and Cavalry School.

MITCHELL--Mitchell Hall, No. 220, Doniphan Avenue, in honor of Capt. David D. Mitchell, 15th Infantry, class of 1883, Infantry and Cavalry School. Killed in action Sept. 17, 1900 at Mavitac, near Sinaloan, Luzon, Philippine Islands.

MCGRATH--McGrath Hall, No. 216 Pope Avenue, in honor of Capt. Hugh J. McGrath, 4th Cavalry, class of 1887 Infantry and Cavalry School. Died Nov. 7, 1899 of wounds received in action at ElCaney, Santiago, Cuba.

OTIS--Otis Hall, Kearney Avenue, in honor of Major General Elwell S. Otis, U.S.A., who served with distinction in the Civil War and in the Spanish American War. He was the first Commandant of the Cavalry and Infantry School.

POPE--Pope Hall, Corner Scott and McPherson Avenue, in honor of Lt. Col. James W. Pope, Disciplinary Barracks from 1888 to 1906 and who built Pope Hall with prison labor.

PIKE--Pike Hall, No. 232 Doniphan Avenue, in honor of Lt. Col. Emory J. Pike, U.S.A., class of 1915, Army Staff College, killed in action Sept. 16, 1918 in France.

ROOT--Root Hall, Corner McClelland and Kearney Avenues, in honor of Elihu Root, Secretary of War during the period 1899-1904, who gave much intiative[sic] and support to the reorganization of the General Service Schools after the Spanish-American War.

SCHENCK--Schenck Hall, No. 231 Doniphan Avenue, in honor of First Lt. William T. Schenck, 25th Infantry, class of 1899, Infantry and Cavalry School. Killed in action January 29, 1900, near Subig, Luzon, Philippine Islands.

SHERMAN--Sherman Hall, Merritt Place, in honor of Major General Wm T. Sherman, U.S.A. who served in the Mexican and Civil Wars. As commanding General of the Army in 1881, he directed the establishment of the Cavalry and Infantry School.

SHERIDAN--Sheridan Hall, Merritt Place, in honor of Major General Philip H. Sheridan, U.S.A., who served with distinction in the Civil War. As commander of the Division of the Missouri, in 1881 he gave considerable assistance to the establishment of the Cavalry and Infantry School.

SIGERFOOS--Sigerfoos Hall, No. 230 Doniphan Avenue, in honor of Brigadier General Edward Sigerfoos, U.S.A., class of 1895, Infantry and Cavalry School. Died Oct. 7, 1918 of wounds received in action in France.

SMITH--H. A. Smith Hall, No. 229 Doniphan Avenue, in honor of Col. Hamilton A. Smith, U.S.A., class of 1912, Army Staff College. Killed in action July 22, 1918 in France.

SMITH--W. H. Smith Hall, No. 228 Doniphan Avenue, in honor of First Lt. Wm. H. Smith, 10th Cavalry class of 1897, Infantry and Cavalry School, killed in action July 1, 1898, at San Juan, Santiago, Cuba.

STOFFENBURG--Stoffenburg Hall No. 102 Meade Avenue, in honor of Capt. John M. Stoffenburg, 6th Cavalry, class of 1897, Infantry and Cavalry School. Killed in action April 23, 1899 at Quinqua, Luzon, Philippine Islands.

WAGNER--Wagner Hall, Merritt Place, in honor of Colonel Arthur L. Wagner, U.S.A., who as instructor at the General Service Schools and as an author of Military texts, laid the foundation during the period 1891-1894 for a marked increase in instruction efficiency in the Army.

Return to index