From the collections at the Leavenworth County Historical Society and Museum. Reprinted with permission from The Leavenworth County Historical Society and Museum and the Leavenworth Times. Donated by Debra Graden.
The postoffice at Fort Leavenworth will be 107 years old this spring. It was established on May 29, 1828, under the name of "Cantonment Leavenworth," or the "La Platte, Clay county, Missouri," the territory across the river and adjoining the military reserve having been known as Clay county at that time.
The first postmaster was Phillip G. Rand, who served until October 16, 1828, when Thomas S. Bryant was appointed. He was succeeded by R. P. Beauchamp, but the date is not available. Alex G. Morgan succeeded Beauchamp, having been appointed July 8, 1831. Joseph V. Hamilton was appointed April 3, 1838; Albert G. Wilson, September 5, 1839, and served to October 19, 1841, as which time the name of the office was changed to Fort Leavenworth, and Hiram Rich was appointed postmaster. Other early appointees were: Andrew G. Ege, March 12, 1862; Edward Fenlon, May 19, 1862; Elizabeth Graham, March 20, 1865; Edward Fenlon, August 8, 1865; Myers B. Haas, May 14, 1866; Michael L. Dunn, August 10, 1866; David L. Payne, March 19, 1867; Michael L. Dunn, July 20, 1867--served to July 31, 1868, when the office was discontinued for about nine months. It was re-established April 16, 1869, and Clara E. Nichols was appointed postmistress.
Of the above mentioned postmasters, R. P. Beauchamp was a government sub-agent to the Upper Missouri River Indian tribes, and was stationed at Fort Leavenworth in that capacity from 1830 to 1834. Joseph V. Hamilton was connected with the Indian service at Fort Leavenworth and in 1840 was appointed Indian Agent at Council Bluffs. Hiram Rich was and early sutler at Fort Leavenworth and lives for years afterward in Salt Creek Valley. Col. Andrew G. Ege was a Missouri and Kansas pioneer. He was the first real boomer of St. Joseph, Mo., and in 1856, settled in Doniphan county, Kansas. He was the owner of 10,000 acres of land and became widely known and prominent. He was a pro-slaveryman, and when Lincoln spoke at Troy in 1859, he made a speech in answer to him. He had been prominent politically in Maryland before coming west. He was a lover of the chase and always had a pack of fine dogs. He died at Highland, Kas., in 1876. Edward Fenlon was a pioneer government contractor, sutler at Fort Leavenworth, and hardware dealer and wholesale grocer in Leavenworth. He located here in 1856. Capt. David L. Payne was a well known frontier soldier, early Kansas legislator and the original Oklahoma boomer. He was known as the "Scout of the Cimarron" and the "Father of Oklahoma."