From the collections at the Leavenworth County Historical Society and Museum. Reprinted with permission from The Leavenworth County Historical Society and Museum and the Leavenworth Times. Donated by Debra Graden.
Fort Leavenworth News, August 20, 1904
caption under photo of first hospital, ft leav.
The above is an excellent illustration of the first permanent hospital of this post. It is of southern architecture, as were many of the first buildings. In 1881-2 a new post hospital was constructed. the building now being used as an annex to the hospital of 1900, and the old structure turned into a hotel for the use of student officers. Later it became known as Hancock Hall, where many of the student officers made their homes.
The building stood upon the site now occupied by the officers' mess building, with the frontage towards the north, the ground upon which stands Otis Hall forming the hospital lawn..
Sept. 3, 1904
caption under photo of
The appearance of Sumner place in 1856, then known as the main parade, was quite a different looking place from what it is at this time. The above is from a photograph taken in those days and its appearance to the old timers will be quite a natural one. The flag staff, which is now at the north-west corner of the parade was then in the south-west corner and directly opposite post headquarters. The present building serving as post headquarters was finished in 1881, its construction being commenced in 1880 by Lieutenant, now Colonel, Chas. B. Hall. It took the place of a single story stone and brick structure and among the oldest building of the post. It was built in an L shape. A fence surrounded the parade and all of the Cavalry stables were south of the walk that leads from the Grant Statue across the parade to post headquarters.