Tomahawk Cemetery, est. 1870
133rd & Metcalf Ave
Latitude, Longitude: Map
38° 53' 13" N, 94° 54' 33"W
From Kansas City MO, take I-35 S to 169H/Metcalf Ave. Follow 169H/Metcalf Ave south to 135 St. Turn east on 135th Street and go under the highway to the next intersection ? Old Metcalf Ave. Turn north on Old Metcalf Ave and then turn right at 133rd St. Cemetery is located on the NE corner, atop a fairly steep hill.
About this Cemetery:
This cemetery is located on top of a hill on Old Metcalf Ave and has a beautiful view. Entrance to the cemetery is off of 133rd Street, and an on the front side facing Old Metcalf it is fronted by a high rock retaining wall. During a street widening project in the early 1990s, The City identified 30 obvious graves that would have to be relocated. At this time, many graves were obviously missing headstones and many stones were illegible. The Johnson County Historical Society provided an earlier reading of the cemetery, and the City placed notices in newspapers and tried to find descendents. The City had a service with minister at the cemetery before any graves were moved. Some of the graves identified had headstones that would be moved, and for those missing headstones, new Unknown flat granite markers would be placed. While moving the graves, another 35 unmarked graves were uncovered, moved, and also marked for a total of 65 Unknown markers.
The land where Tomahawk cemetery lies was first owned by the Shawnee tribes in 1853 as part of the settlement for Ohio and Missouri. By the late 1860s, the tribes moved to Oklahoma and this land was opened up to the Pioneers. In 1870, Daniel and Agnes Murdock donated this ½ acre of land to the Public, to establish Tomahawk Cemetery on September 22 1870. In 1991 it was ruled that because the land was unincorporated at the time, it belonged to Johnson Co, however now it was part of the class 1 incorporated city of Overland Park, and thereby belonged to them. At that time the City declared the cemetery closed for new burials.
City of Overland Park
Overland Park, KS 66204
Transcription by Linda Lewis, 29 Jul 2005
This is a complete transcription by reading and photographing the gravestones. The City of Overland Park provided additional information, including a transcription by Connie Foster, Kansas Historical Society, commissioned by the City. Photos available upon request.