Saint Columbine Catholic Cemetery
207th St and Dille Rd
Latitude, Longitude: Map
38° 45' 25" N, 94° 59' 30"W
From Kansas City, MO, take I35 South to exit 202 Edgerton. Turn right on Sunflower Rd. Turn right on W 207th St. Cemetery is on North (left) side back in the trees, down a small road.
About this Cemetery:
In the 1850s and 1860s, before the railroad was introduced, this area was known as Martin, and the cemetery dates back to this time. Sometime after the original burials, early settlers built a log cabin Catholic Church measuring 14 X 16 on the east side of the present cemetery. The first mass was held in 1857. The original log church burned, and some of the stones from the original church were used to build Assumption Church, Edgerton, in 1893.
The original portion of the cemetery was unplatted, and it is known that there are lost or unmarked graves here. Mr Braun, sexton, stated that originally some of the family plots had fences surrounding them to protect them from animals on the open range. The newer portion of the cemetery is platted and the cemetery remains open today.
Church research indicated the initial land for this cemetery was donated to the Church by Murta Nolan for use as a cemetery. Later, additional land was provided by the McCarthy family, bringing the cemetery's size to 4 acres. This cemetery has been tended to by the same family, in succession, for 100 yrs. The current sexton took over in the 1940s from his father.
Assumption Catholic Church
114 E Nelson St
Edgerton, KS 66021
Transcription by Linda Lewis, 02 Nov 2005
This is a complete transcription by reading and photographing the gravestones. Photos available upon request.