De Soto (Silent City) Cemetery, est. 1871
34500 W 87th St
DeSoto, Lexington Twp, Johnson, KS
Latitude, Longitude: Map
38° 58' 16" N, 94° 59' 18" W
From Kansas City, MO, take I35 South to I435 West (exit 222B) to K10. Take K10 West exit 1B. Take the Lexington Ave exit and turn left. Turn left on Wildcat Dr then turn right on Penner Ave. Turn left on W 87th St. Cemetery is on the south side of the street.
About this Cemetery:
De Soto Cemetery is affectionately known as Silent City Cemetery. The origin of this name is not known, and the name is not official, but you will often find the old obituaries list it as Silent City. Though the cemetery was officially established in 1871, the oldest burial is dated 1856, for Mabel Abbott, age 6 mo. De Soto Cemetery also holds the remains of those buried in old Lexington Cemetery, who were disinterred in 1942 for the construction of the Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant.
The De Soto Cemetery District Association was established in 1871, with the purchase of 4 acres from homesteader, Zera Nichols. Later, James L. Morgan purchased adjoining land for use as a family cemetery. Eventually, he donated this land, known as the Morgan addition, to the De Soto cemetery. Additions 1 - 3 were purchased from the L. R. Penner family, whose descendents still live in the area. Other additions plus the 19 surrounding acres were purchased since 1977 from Harold Berntsen for future cemetery expansion. In 1932, a cemetery district was formed onto the Lexington Township plan, whereby it has since been maintained by taxation.
De Soto Cemetery District Association
33435 W 84th St
De Soto, KS 66018
Transcription by Kathy Ross, Linda Lewis, 12 Mar 2007
This is a complete transcription by reading and photographing the gravestones. Entries without monuments were supplied from the Sexton's index.
Sexton's Cemetery Map donated by the De Soto Cemetery District Association.