Antioch Pioneer Cemetery, est. 1872
7500 Antioch Road
Merriam, Shawnee Twp, Johnson, KS

Latitude, Longitude:   Map
38 59' 37.21" N, 94 41' 12.28" W
38.993669, -94.686744

Driving Directions:
From Kansas City, MO, take I35 South to the 75th St/Shawnee Mission Medical Center exit. Travel east on 75th St approx. 2 blocks to Antioch Rd. The Medical Center is on the left (north) side of 75th St and the cemetery is next to the Medical Center on the NW corner of 75th St and Antioch Rd. Turn north onto Antioch Rd to enter the cemetery.

About this Cemetery:
In 1850, a group of Pioneers associated with the Quaker Indian Mission, founded the original church and cemetery at this site. Some of the earliest burials were marked only by rocks or wooden stakes, and are no longer known. In 1873, the church reorganized as the Antioch Presbyterian Church, a frame church was built and the cemetery was established. By 1925, the church was closed.

In 1930, The Antioch Cemetery Association, Inc. formed and the association members cleared and repaired the cemetery. The fence and stone pillars were added in 1930, along with the cornerstone.

In 1939, the Presbyterian Synod relinquished all rights to the church and it was razed and the current chapel was build using salvageable materials from the original church, including the sanctuary doors, pews, pulpit, stove, and gas chandelier.

The Association still manages and donates their time to the care of this beautiful cemetery.

Cemetery Ownership:
The Antioch Cemetery Association was formed 1930 to care for the deteriorating cemetery after the church closed. Mr. and Mrs. Elijah Cornell Chase, grandson of the founder of Cornell University, taught agriculture at the Mission, and donated a portion of their farmland to the Antioch Cemetery Association.

Cemetery Contact:
Antioch Cemetery Association
Private. Email request.

Transcription by Linda Lewis, 29 May 2005
This is a complete transcription by reading and photographing the gravestones. Photos available upon request.

Sexton's Cemetery Map donated by Antioch Cemetery Association, 2005.