|Harvey County KSGenWeb Surname Index|
|- M -|
All The Way Home
Maguire, M. (1900, Newton City) - Rev. Father M. Maguire, the esteemed pastor of St. Mary's Catholic church, of Newton, Kansas, was born in County Wexford, Ireland, and came to America in 1866, when seven years of age. He was the youngest son of Mathew and Mary (Murphy) Maguire, the former of whom followed agricultural pursuits in his native country and came to the United States with the idea of promoting the welfare of his children. Locating at Lemont, Illinois, he there engaged in business for four years, but in the fall of 1870 removed to Kansas, in the same year locating near Chapman, in Dickinson county, where he took a claim, was one of the pioneers of the section, and cleared and improved a fine farm. Here his life was passed until his death on August 29, 1897, at the age of ninety-three years. The mother resides with her son, our subject, and is one of the most highly esteemed ladies of advanced age, in this city. M. Maguire was the youngest member of the family of six children born to his parents, the only other survivor being his brother Patrick Maguire, who is a resident of Chapman, Kansas, where he owns and manages the work on the old homestead. Our subject attended the parish school in his native country, but after coming to the United States he acquired a good common-school education in the schools of Illinois and Kansas. At the age of seventeen he began to teach school, continuing until he was twenty-one, when he entered the Jesuit college at St. Mary's, Kansas, where he pursued his studies for the five succeeding years. The next year he was employed in severe study and discipline at the Lazarist seminary in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, after this still pursuing a higher course at the Benedictine seminary at St. Meinrad, Indiana, where he continued for three years, going thence to Leavenworth, Kansas, where he was ordained on April 8, 1890, by the Rt. Rev. Lewis M. Fink, O.S.B. For nearly a year Father Maguire was stationed at the Church of the Assumption at Topeka, Kansas, as assistant, and later was sent to Fulton, Kansas, at which place it was through his efforts that the imposing church and parsonage were erected and placed out of debt, in nine and a half years. In 1900 his services to the church were recognized by his appointment to his present charge. Here is established a parochial school, which is under the care of the Sisters of St. Joseph, with two teachers and forty-five pupils. The parish contains one hundred and fifty families and about seven hundred and fifty communicants. It was founded in the fall of 1870, under Father Schwemberg, who,a western missionary, remained here seventeen years, during which time he built the first church and also secured the property very much as it is today. After its founder came Rev. B. Schmeihausen, for four years, then came Rev. M.J. Casey for four years, then Rev. John Maher, also for four years, then Father Wirsma, for two years, and finally Father Maguire. Father Maguire has much of the indomitable spirit that filled the lives of the early teachers of his faith, in this country. His successful work speaks for him. For eleven years he has lived a life of duty, asking no vacation. He is energetic, magnetic, scholarly, and thoroughly understands both the financial aspects and the religious needs of his parishioners. In the city of Newton he is universally esteemed. The congregation is a large and wealthy one and much is required of them by their earnest and faithful priest. Under his careful management this parish will doubtless have a church and parsonage in keeping with the enterprising spirit of the worthy people of Newton. (Biographical History of Central Kansas: 1902, pp. 653-654).
McCart, P. (Burrton) - P. McCart, enlisted in July 1862 in Co. F 129th Illinois Infantry as a private, was in the battles of Resaca, Drake's Creek and in the grand campaign of Sherman in Georgia, served two and one-half years, was wounded at Resaca in right arm which had to be amputated; was taken prisoner at Drake's creek, by Morgan and escaped in twenty-four hours. (Our Old Soldiers, written by A. Perry, G.A.R., published in the Burrton Monitor, Friday February 3, 1882. Page 2).
McKenry, Joseph & Susan. (Burrton Township) - See Franklin, John H.
Morrison, J. H. - (Burrton). J. H. Morrison enlisted as private (was after Sergeant and colour bearer) in July 1862 in in Co. H July 1862 in Co. H. 174th Ohio Infantry. Fought at Decator, Overall Creek, Cedars, Fort Fisher, and Kingston. (Our Old Soldiers, written by A. Perry, G.A.R., published in the Burrton Monitor, Friday February 10, 1882. Page 2). J. H. Morrison enlisted July 18, 1862 in the 4th Battallion Ohio Cavalry. Served eight months, then reenlisted in the 121st Ohio Infantry. Served four months, was stationed for a long time at Fort Lyons, near Washington DC, wearing white gloves and eating mince pies and custards, never heard a hostile shot or smelled powder. That's letting him tell it. (Our Old Soldiers, written by A. Perry, G.A.R., published in the Burrton Monitor, Friday September 22, 1882. Page 2).
Murphy, Mary M. Also known as Ollie Mae Murphy (Ollyanne, Orleanna). See Swift, Mary M.