The following history was taken from "The Harper County Story" by Gwendoline & Paul Sanders Copyright 1968, Library of Congress call number 68-54660, The Mennonite Press, Newton, KS
The village of Goss faded away and in 1900 a new town grew in its place with its name changed to "Shook". This new town endeavor was on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. For a number of years this was a thriving trade center with a general store, depot, blacksmith shop and several residences. The first postmaster of Shook was Jesse Montgomery and the office opened July 27, 1900 and closed November 18, 1900 but the order was rescinded and Shook was again in the postal business June 1, 1901 and did not close until July 15, 1925. At this time only a grain elevator remains. The school, one mile west of Shook, now discontinued was called Goss School.
Bill Barber who bought the land on which Goss had stood said, when he started the new town, "We shook the name of Goss so we'll just call the new town "Shook"."
Click Here for the Town Plat Maps Page
Click Here for Pictures of this Town
Search all of Blue Skyways
Including KS GenWeb Project
Harper County KS GenWeb
Maintained by Harper County Genealogical Society as part of the KSGenWeb Project on Blue Skyways.
Material on this page is the property of the Society and all rights are reserved.
Should you find a link that does not work properly please notify the webmaster.