Harper County

KSGenWeb

Welcome to Harper County KSGenWeb

HOME

INDEX

CONTACTS

RECORDS

TOWNS

CONTRIBUTE

LOOKUPS

LINKS


History of Crystal Springs

The following history was taken from "The Harper County Story" by Gwendoline & Paul Sanders Copyright 1968, Library of Congress call number 68-54660, The Mennonite Press, Newton, KS

Crystal Springs

From the "Kansas Cyclopedia 1912"

Crystal Springs, a little village in Lake Township, Harper County, is a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad about half was between Harper and Attica. It has a post office, an express office, telephone connections, and in 1910 reported a population of 38.

The Crisfield post office was established January 16, 1885, with Mrs. Naomi L. Bukins as postmaster.

Present Day Crystal Springs (1963)

The present population is 25. Crystal Springs is in the Attica unified school district. The post office is located in the residence of the postmaster, Mrs. Miller.

The present-day business establishments are: one grocery store, a slaughter and meat processing plant with a locker service, enjoys an especially fine reputation, a service station and bulk oil plant, a machine shop and a grain elevator.

The legal description of Crystal Springs is northeast one-fourth, section 13, township 32, south, range 8 west.

When the Amish Mennonite settlers arrived in Harper County, Crystal Springs consisted of a depot, a post office, a blacksmith shop, stockyards and two grain elevators; in addition there were four dwelling houses. Probable date 1890.

Click Here for the Town Plat Maps Page

Click Here for Pictures of this Town

 


Search all of Blue Skyways
Including KS GenWeb Project

    Blue Skyways  Harper County KS GenWeb KSGenWeb


Maintained by Harper County Genealogical Society as part of the KSGenWeb Project on Blue Skyways.
Material on this page is the property of the Society and all rights are reserved.
Should you find a link that does not work properly  please notify the
webmaster.