A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1955

The Eureka First Methodist Church received a give of a Norton Tower System. Chimes were to be played automatically at six o'clock every evening. The system also included the possibility of playing organ chimes on the organ itself over the tower. A complete public address system for the church, with speakers in the sanctuary, overflow room, basement and nursery. There were also six hearing-aids to be used by those who were hard-of-hearing. The gift was presented in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Aaron A. Nixon by their three children.

S.T. Freeman purchased the interest of H.O. McManis in the Freeman-McManis B.F. Goodrich store in Eureka. The store's name was changed to Freeman's. A.C. Houston Lumber Co. purchased the Eureka Lumber & Supply and Ready-Mix Concrete plant, formerly owned by Don Hand and H.V. Rockhill. The new Eureka Federal building, one of the finest savings and loan buildings in this part of the country, was dedicated on February 26. Friendliness, a "wide-open look" and customer convenience were featured in the new structure.

Carl C. Chase moved his law offices from the Crebo building to 203 North Main in the rooms formerly occupied by the Eureka Federal Savings & Loan Assoc. A new county Fair Association was formed and plans were underway for work on the fairgrounds in preparation for the Greenwood County Fair in the summer. The race track was being worked down and two or three barns were to be built.

Eureka was to have a Community Birthday Calendarm sponsored by the Kiwanis Club and the Eastern Star. The city commission discussed the ordinance making it unlawful to sell merchandise, goods, wares or groceries on Sunday. Deciding that the liberal enforcement of the ordinance could be virtually impossible and possibly would result in discrimination and certain unfair practices, the city repealed the ordinance.

The Jaycees opened a new gun club on-half mile northeast of Eureka airport on the Jack Wallace property. The Halliburton Oil Well Cementing Co. transferred its offices from Madison to Eureka. Ralph Romig, manager, was to move here with his family. M.E. Souders resigned as chief of the Eureka Fire Department, after serving in that capacity for 38 years. Souders started with the department in 1900.

The Eureka Federal Savings & Loan purchased a two-story building in El Dorado. It was anticipated that the El Dorado office would have to be expanded at some future date. Dr. S.O. Mitchell, chiropractor, was to open new offices at 110 East Second. The Farmers Elevator at Climax was purchased by the operators of the J.E. Sowder Seed & Elevator Co. of Eureka.

A dedication ceremony for old Fort Montgomery was celebrated by placing a marker on the site of the old fort on the Straight building at First and Oak streets. The city commission eliminated all restrictions on the amount of water used for any purpose after 11.1 inches of rain fell in two weeks. Thos. C. Forbes and Harold G. Forbes of Forbes & Forbes announced the association of George Forbes with their firm in the practice of law.

Fire destroyed the garage, two trucks and a car at the Roy McCoy residence, 119 South Elm. Probably the greatest loss, measured in sentiment by the townspeople as well as by the owner, was the veteran 1921 Model T Ford truck which was in daily use and had been for the past 35 years. The truck had traveled over 350,000 miles. Mr. McCoy paid about $700 for it new and it had earned its cost many, many times over in faithful service throughout the years. The parking meter penalty was raised to a 25 cent minimum.

1956

M.J. Aley, veteran Eureka Theatre operator, sold the Princess Theatre and Eureka Drive-In to Commonwealth Theatres, Inc. of Kansas City. Virgil C. Hollenbeck, M.D., physician and surgeon, moved to Eureka and was to be associated as partner with Dr. Robert L. Osborn in his offices at 111 West Third. The "Rock-n T," Eureka's teen town, sponsored by the Junior Chamber of Commerce, held its first dance in Jan. The dance cost 20 cents per person and lasted from 7:30 until 10:00 p.m. The snack bar was managed by Louis Perrier.

The affairs of the Neal State Bank had been liquidated and the current business assumed by the Home National Bank of Eureka. The National Farm Loan Association moved to its new office quarters at First and Oak streets. The new building was of block construction with brick veneer and a front of Carthage limestone.

At the meeting of the Greenwood County Fair Assoc. board of directors, it was voted to include harness horse races at the fair this year if enough horses could be obtained to complete a full racing program. Interest in harness horse racing was increasing rapidly and had been absent from the Kansas-Oklahoma scene since World War II. The Eureka city commission sent a letter to all local civic groups informing them that plans were being made to pump water to Eureka Lake. Water impounded by the Fall River Dam would be returned to the lake at a smaller investment than the initial proposal.

M.P. Belcher sold the Belcher Shoe Store, 108 North Main, to Royal A. Elder and Cora Mae Nettler of Yates Center. The new store was to be known as the E-J Shoe Store. Thomas L. Menninger was hired as superintendent of the Eureka schools, replacing Dr. Carl s. Knox. Recent rains improved the chloride content in Fall River to such an extent that it was now possible for the city of Eureka to take all of its water from the river. As long as water flowed over the dam, there was no reason to conserve the use of water and it was recommended that residents of the city give their lawns, trees and shrubs a good soaking while they were able. The level of water in the lake was still critically low.

The observation tower of the Ground Observers Corps was officially opened at 8:00 a.m. on April 30. Dr. W.G. Crebo held open house in his new building. The new structure was frame, made of cedar. A blanket invitation was extended to all residents of Greenwood County and surrounding area to attend the dedication service and open house at the new Greenwood County Hospital on June 6.

Sentiment and old memories gave way to progress when the roof and walls of the old courthouse were pulled down by heavy machinery. Dr. Crum, optometrist, moved to his new office building, 306 W. Third, one block west of the postoffice. The city commissioner approved a contract with the highway commission on the relocation of US-54. The highway was to be changed in time to run east along River street and angle toward the seven-mile Tonovay corner.

Eldon Donaldson announced the sale of the Donaldson Laundry to the New Process Laundry & Dry Cleaning of Emporia. The dedication of the National Guard Armory in Eureka was held November 12. Following a parade, the dedication ceremony was held outside the Armory. Two new horse barns were constructed at the north end of the fairgrounds to house race horses while the barns south of the grandstand were being repaired. Sides were being built on the two new stock exhibit buildings in preparation of the Greenwood County Fair for 1956.

Title Page
1957 - 1959


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project