A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1953

Open house was held for the new Sacred Heart school in Eureka, which was opened in the fall for the school year. The first eight grades were offered in the new parish school the first school in the parish. The faculty consisted of sister Petrona and Sister Patrick of the Sister Adorers of the Precious Blood, a religious order of the church interested in school and hospital work.

H.A. Worrell and G.A. LeVieux announced their dissolution of the partnership in the Worrell-LeVieux Plumbing and Appliance, and both men were to operate separate businesses. Worrell remained at the location at 116 North Main in his new business to be known as Worrell Plumbing, Heating & Appliances. LeVieux purchased the Gamble stone in Eureka from Jeff Gilson at 212 North Main. He was to reopen after remodeling and redecorating.

Mrs. May Stackhouse purchased the interest of Mrs. G.A. LeVieux in the News Stand and became sole owner of the business. Bob Mariani had leased the new Sinclair Service Station at 601 North Main and operated the business as Mariani's Super Service. L.T. McCue was appointed the new manager of the Kansas Power & Light Co. at Eureka.

The city commissioners annexed an area containing 17 1/2 acres on East River, known as Eastbrook Addition. the new tract was surveyed and subdivided into approximately 70 building sites. Two streets, Marriott Drive and Mission Road, were to run south from River street to be connected by Madison and Quincy streets.

The new Eureka Drive-In Theatre, owned by Mr. and Mrs. M.J. Aley, held its grand opening on April 20. The 286-car deluxe drive-in theatre was located one-half mile east of the eureka city limits and one-fourth mile south of Highway 54. Orville Criqui was the new principal of Mulberry Junior High, taking the place of Stanley Malcolm, who went to Ft. Leavenworth. A new corporation, the Hand-Rockhill Co. Inc., was formed with Don Hand and H.V. Rockhill the principal parties. The new corporation was to construct residential houses in the new Eastbrook Addition on the east edge of Eureka.

The Mitchell Super Service Station, Oak and River streets, held its formal opening, featuring a full line of high quality Sinclair products. The new Belcher Shoe Store, 208 North Main, held its formal opening.

1954

Forbes & Forbes, eureka attorneys, announced Harvey D. Ashworth, formerly of Topeka, would be associated with them in the practice of law. The new Dowell plant in Eureka was the main installation for southeastern Kansas. Construction of the new plant was by Hand & Rockhill Co., Inc. of Eureka. Offices, maintenance shop, silos and a chemical storage building were built on the two-acre area.

Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Belcher resigned as caretakers at the Eureka Country Club. The new office building of J.T. Catlin, D.O., 810 North Main, was nearing completion. During June and July, the Visiting Van called on 18 new families in Eureka.

The Eureka Mill & Elevator, Inc. had completed a year-long expansion program. Included were a new concrete block fertilizer warehouse, a concrete building housing seed, chemicals, office, seed-testing laboratory and storage for sacks, a 34-foot concrete deck scales, a new elevator, a 32,000 bushel storage unit and a bag-processing plant. The corporation was managed by R.C. Teichgraeber.

Mrs. Doris Sowder was employed by the board of education to act as school nurse for the school year 1954-55. The city of Eureka leased and was operating the air strip two and one-half miles east of Eureka. Don's IGA, Eureka's newest complete self-service store, held its grand opening with over 2,000 persons in attendance.

Eureka received delivery on its new fire truck, which was driven up and down Main street on exhibition. The truck, the most modern combination pumper-truck of the American-LaFrance Co., carried a tank of 200-gallon capacity to be used on small fires where the pumpers were not in demand. A huge crowd was on hand all day at the grand opening of the new Foodtown Super Market, Seventh and School streets.

H.C. Hobbs, vice-president of the Citizens National Bank of Ava, Mo., purchased interest in the Citizens National Bank in Eureka and was elected president and member of the board of directors. Percy H. Shue, president of Utopia College in Eureka, announced that on Jan. 1, the name of the college would be changed to Midwest Institute of Business Administration

Title Page
1955 - 1956


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project