A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1929

Mrs. Eva B. Magee was appointed superintendent of the Eureka Water Department, taking the place of Mrs. Anna Reich. Wm. E. Allen of Howard purchased the Red Owl Drug Store, to be known henceforth as Allen's Drug Store. M.B. Ford was to devote his time to the Red Owl Annex. The McClure Motor Co. was sold to H.H. Bush, formerly of Independence. Harvey Hartenbower purchased the Motor Inn Garage on Second street from H.F. Brenton.

W.W. Talley, operator of a Swift creamery station of West First, moved his establishment to the rear of the Farmers Union Grocery at Second and Main. J.C. Penny store opened in eureka with L.W. Coon as manager. Theodore Fischer became owner of the Farmers Union, one of the most popular grocery store in Eureka. Reece was swept by a tornado. One person was killed and many injured. Property damage estimated at $25,000.

The new offices of the Western Natural Gas co. announced its opening. Beginning the week of May 30, Eureka movie goes were to have the opportunity of attending genuine talking movies at the Princess. The first talking picture shown and heard was to be "Lucky Boy" with George Jessel. The Chamber of Commerce decided to pay rent on the airplane landing field east of town for 1929. Meantime, steps were taken to buy the 80-acre tract and hanger through individual subscription. Natural gas was turned into Madison mains July 1.

A special edition of the Herald was published for the Greenwood County Fair. The July 22 issue totaled 28 pages. This was the largest edition ever printed in the history of the county and had a circulation of 4300. The Eureka Credit Bureau performed a big community service, collecting information and helping keep credit good. Leading business and professional men of Eureka joined forces through the Lion and Kiwanis clubs, working for civic and social advancement.

The largest county fair grounds in the state were in Eureka, with 80 acres devoted to buildings and displays. Parking space was provided for 1500 automobiles and the stadium had a seating capacity for more than 2,000 people. Eureka maintained one of the largest and best airports in Kansas east of Wichita. A large hanger provided space for three planes located here permanently. Greenwood County's oil fields were producing $1 1/2 million and 20 new locations were reported. 4-H clubs in the county were a direct result of the Farm Bureau organization.

1930

Brenton Auto Supply moved to a new location, directly across the street west from the former site at Third and Main. Guy Downard and Tom Davis were to open a new meat market in the Jenne building, Fifth and Main. The slogan "The Toughest Meat in Town" was again to emblazon a building front. The Charlotte Murray Hospital opened in Eureka. Two nurses from McPherson leased the building formerly occupied by the Modern Hotel, 411 North Main, which was known for years as the Oxford Rooms. The building, erected by Dr. Norman, was intended for a hospital. Equipment was moved in from a hospital in Augusta which recently went out of business.

A blaze discovered in Downard's Meat Market turned into a dangerous fire and threatened to destroy the Hotel Greenwood building. The Souders Radio Shop on West Third was nearing completion. the midget gold craze had struck Eureka. A course was being laid out at the corner of Third and School. Greenwood County's first miniature golf course was to open June 14.

Greenwood Motors Co. purchased the local Buick-Chevrolet agency from Troxell-Christy Motor Co., A.R. Taylor was the new manager. The Jenkins Music Co. opened a store at 308 North Main in the Moore building. Another golfing innovation to be added to Eureka's amusement list was a driving range, on the site formerly occupied by the East Side filling station. The new athletic field was named in honor of Ward. A. McGinnis.

After a year of extensive travel, M.J. Aley returned to Eureka and purchased the Princess and Regent theatres. Many improvements were planned for the Princess. The Regent also was to be a "talkie" theatre. Remodeling work to be done on the Jackson building began by tearing down the front walls of the Princess Theatre and the building to the north, recently occupied by the Bush Motor Co. Considerable excavation work was necessary as Aley planned to bring the floor of the building down to street level. George Hull purchased the Hartsook & Co. Feed Store, 116 West Second, and was to be known as the Geo. E. Hull Feed Store, the store with the checkerboard sign. A large crowd attended the formal opening of the new home of the Citizens National Bank at Main and Third streets.

Title Page
1931 - 1932


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project