A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1927

New management (Louise Bacon) opened the Waffle Shop on West Third street to the rear of the First National Bank. The first gravel work on the county roads was to begin March 18 on the Eureka-Climax road where more than a mile of highway was to receive hard surfacing. Carpenters and painters were busy giving the final touches in the conversion of the old West Side stone school building into an up-to-date hospital. The new hospital to be know as "The Community Hospital" was privately owned by Miss Lucy Spohler Coll, who acted as head nurse.

One of the worst fires in Eureka's history burned in the Krebo block with an estimated damage of $100,000. El Dorado fire department helped save the town from the fire which started in the basement of the Red Owl Drug Store. Eighteen businesses and offices were damaged or destroyed. The building was being immediately rebuilt. The population of Greenwood County had increased to 20,613. Eureka's population jumped to 4,063, an increase of 481.

Madison's paving had started with alleys surfaced with concrete and some on Madison Avenue. R.G. Jackson was the first Eurekan to secure a pilot's license. A new law firm, Harris & Son, opened in Eureka. Eureka's prosperity was reflected in the growth of the telephone plant. Only one other city, Hot Springs, had more telephones per capita than Eureka. The Eureka town-lot oil play was rapidly gaining momentum. Rigs were up on the Colvin and Clogston leases in the heart of town.

Contrary to the general belief that taxes would go higher and higher with each year's levy, the situation in Eureka was exactly the opposite. The city tax levy had been on the decrease for two years. The city levy in 1925 was 21.4 mills and the 1927 levy was 18.8 mills. The Greenwood County Fair and increased traffic gave local officers a chance to see how the new "No U Turn" ruling was working. The signs were at the city's busiest tow corners, Second and Third on Main, and would probably be extended to First and Fourth streets. The marker at Second and Main was demolished by a motorist who failed to obey the order.

The August 4, 1927 issue of the Eureka Herald was printed on a new Duplex High Speed Web Perfecting Press, taking the place of the old Cranston drum cylinder which had served for many years. With the installation of the new press, the Herald appeared as an 8-column paper, the new machine being much larger than the old one. The purchase of the press represented an investment of thousands of dollars and proved the faith in the business and citizenship of the community which the Herald has served for 59 years.

The Herald was sponsoring a model "Home Beautiful" to be situated on the southeast corner of Second and Myrtle streets. Local merchants were contributing merchandise to make the building a success. The Cartwright building at Sixth and Main opened with a dance. The Simons Sales Co. was to occupy the first floor and the second floor had office suites and a large hall ideal for dances and lodge work.

The small bungalow being built on the East Side school grounds for the newly created kindergarten department was rapidly nearing completion. One of the newest enterprises opened in Eureka was a furniture and drapery shop on West Third, managed by Mrs. Harold Cone. The county inaugurated a sanitation program with a full-time health officer and county nurse to be employed.

1928

Air mail service was available from Eureka by train connection with the night flight of the Chicago-Kansas City-Dallas line. The rate was 10 cents for each half-ounce to any part of the United States. An airport landing sign was installed on the roof of the two-story part of the Leader building. The word "Eureka" was painted in white with letters 10 feet high and with the word "airport" slightly smaller below. An arrow 18 feet long pointed east toward the Eureka landing field. The buildings housing the Kasson & Sons Laundry and Dry Cleaners plant on North Main were sold to Betsher Bros. as Mr. Kasson was moving his business to another town. Greenwood's population was 20,034, a loss of 579. The franchise to sell the Skelly product, Skelgas, was given to the Eureka Machine Works. The local agent was J.F. Boyersmith. The Baldwin Piano Shop opened under the management of H.H. Ford and James Brown, located in the west part of the electric light building.

The Red Owl Annex bought the former stock of the Office Appliance and was to moved to the rear of the Red Owl Drug Store. The Greenwood County fair closed with a day of automobile races on the dirt trace, a new and thrilling event for county race fans. The Keller Motor Co., local Buick agency, changed its name to the Christ Motor Co. Safeway opened a store in Eureka. the National Tire store organization opened a store in Eureka with the Burks-Errickson Motor Co.

The cornerstone laying ceremony for the new Christian Church was held. The auditorium was to be completed first at a cost of $50,000 with a capacity of 800. A large basement would extend from under the center structure. The Sunday service included the celebration of the 66th anniversary of the local organization. Floyd Kite, proprietor of the Greenwood Barber Shop, installed a Sport Shop with a complete line of hunters' supplies and firearms and a full line of sporting goods.

Talking movies came to Eureka in the form of a Synchrophone program at the Princess Theatre. Movie goes saw and heard a six-act big-time vaudeville program on the screen, in addition to the regular bill. Chinchilla rabbits, known for their thick luxurious fur and their edibility, were being commercially raised in Eureka by V.B. Dodson at the rear of his residence on North Elm street.

Title Page
1929 - 1930


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project