A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1925

A drilling campaign of greater magnitude than anything in Greenwood County since oil was first found within its border, was underway with the north half of the country in the spotlight. eureka was to have an ice cream factory, located at 109 - 111 West First street and was to be a supplement to the present plant known as the Eureka Bottling Works. The new concern would be called the Eureka Ice Cream and Bottling Co. Eureka city was the hub of three federal aid projects for the improvement of dirt roads within the county. H.A. Bonnell constructed a mill and elevator at Climax at a cost of $12,000.

Ed Milliken built a new garage at the corner of Oak and Second streets and C.E. Souders bought the building occupied by the Milliken Garage. At a meeting held by Eureka merchants, it was voted to inaugurate a series of special sales days in eureka, once a month. It was hoped to attract many visitors to town, In addition, an auction sale was to be held as an attraction to farmers. The Methodist people were rejoicing in the completion of their new parsonage at the corner of Sixth and Oak streets.

Greenwood County maintained its lead in crude oil production for all Kansas counties, it produced 848,000 barrels of oil with Cowley second with 621,000 barrels. The banks of Greenwood County were generally recognized as among the strongest in the state with 375 prominent citizens owning stock in 19 banking institutions. Eureka was experiencing a water shortage. The water superintendent announced the city had enough water to last two months.

The members of the Christian Church at Reece had completely rebuilt their church. A fine basement had been built, the auditorium dedicated and beautiful pews provided. J.H. Wiggins of the Wiggins Mortuary had purchased a fine new limousine hearse, on of the latest creations in funeral cars. It was the first one of these new cars brought to this territory. An entirely new system of athletics and physical training had been inaugurated in the Eureka schools. This year, a full time physical training instructor and coach was hired with fine results. The Kiwanis and Lions clubs staged a Booster Day for Eureka athletes to give them the needed financial help. The members of Christ Lutheran Church dedicated their new church on December 13.

1926

A new $10,000 business building, fronting Third street opposite the courthouse would house a new milking station and have a rooming house on the second floor. The milk station was to be known as the Eureka Milk Products Co. and absorbed the Jackson Dairy. It would stand on the site of the White Front Cafe which was gutted by fire. The Souder-Martin Clothing store was to open March 1, to be located in the building formerly occupied by the Star Barber Shop and the City Cafe.

Ralph Lawson, Buick and Chevrolet dealer, was breaking ground for a new garage on West Fourth. More convenient long-distance telephone service was being installed by the Southwestern Bell. The Jenne building on East Fifth was nearing completion. It was to contain a meat market, a Frigidaire agency, a plumbing shop, storage and a two-room apartment. A new law firm, Jackson, Forbes & Smith, was established with offices in eureka and Topeka.

A new civic organization was born to be known as the Eureka Civic League for the purpose of studying utility problems. Beginning May 3, the Herald was to be published semi-weekly, on Mondays and Thursdays. If successful as a semi-weekly, there was a possibility there might be a daily, providing the citizens would support one. Allie Dimick had rented a room in the Jenne building for a Chrysler agency. The city water superintendent was instructed to make immediate investigation into the source of refuse oil and other matter finding its way into Fall River and polluting the stream.

Formal opening of the Eureka Drug store in the Moore building was announced by R.C. Morris, who also owned the City Drug. The city commission was putting teeth in the traffic laws. More police were added and ordered to make arrests and give fines. The speed limit was 12 mph and no cut-outs were allowed. Policemen were stationed at corners to arrest those not stopping at the stop signs. Offenders were presented with a ticket and police judge C.C. Carper did the rest, the fine was $5 for the first offense and $15 for the second arrest. So far, no second arrests had been made.

The first paving was to be laid in Climax. Work was started on the $75,000 mausoleum to be erected in the northwest part of Greenwood Cemetery. A new $15,000 business building was to be erected in the block east of Main street on Fourth, to be the new home of S & H Baking Co. M.J. Aley, owner of the Regent Theatre, had purchased the Princess Theatre from L.A. Wagoner. New modern machinery and remodeling were to be done to the building before reopening. L.C. Baird opened his furniture and undertaking business.

The formal opening of the Arthur Crouch Motor Co., agents for Willys-Knight and Overland, was held at its location in the Hale building on East Third street. The new Wiggins building, erected by J.H. Wiggins at a cost of $25,000, opened. The ground floor was to be occupied by a furniture store. It boasted a 27-foot show window.

Title Page
1927 - 1928


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project