A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1923

The cornerstone of Eureka's new $60,000 Masonic Temple was laid on January 1. It was hoped to have it ready for occupancy by May 1. With 150 oil wells drilling, Greenwood County was the busiest spot in the Mid-Continent field and Eureka was the busiest spot in Kansas. The installation of Eureka's first radio transmitter made it possible for Eurekans to send a radio message to any part of the United States, Hawaii or Canada. the call letters 9CPV were assigned to the station. It was not licensed for broadcasting but belonged to the American Radio Relay League. Eureka's radio headquarters were to be at the Hartenbower Auto Supply.

A motor stage line service had been established between Eureka and Wichita with service each way twice daily. The motor buses were enclosed cars with a capacity of eight passengers. The line was greatly needed since the Mo. Pac. passenger trains taken off during the war were never put back. The Easter Kansas Power Co. had a force of men engaged in building the high tension line between Hamilton and Madison. Phillips Petroleum Co. built a water line from the Verdigris river for adequate water supply for drilling purposes in its holdings in the Seely, Burkett and Thrall fields.

Carpenters were busy remodeling the building recently occupied by the Hudson-Essex agency on South Main for a new picture show house. The new show house, named The Regent, was to be operated by S.F. Meade and Son. The first show was expected to run on April 1. The Midland Oil & Gas Co. was preparing to build a fine gas and oil service station at Seventh and Main, just west of the Lyndon Hotel. Beginning on April 13, cars had to be parked at the curb and parking in the middle of the street was discontinued. Members of the American Legion worked at washing and marking the streets to comply with the new regulation, which made Main street look more broad and business-like.

The new school building was dedicated in honor of Miss Edith Random. Pupils from the Baptist Church, the library and Walnut street school took their books to the new school to begin classes on Monday, April 30. The population of Greenwood County was 17,068. The new City Drug Store opened November 20 with Dr. Morris and his clerks serving the audience with ice cream, flowers and cigars.

Climax became incorporated as a city at the board meeting of the county commissioners on December 3. In a big drive on bootleggers, Greenwood County officers captured three stills and much bootleg whiskey intended for holiday trade.

1924

The first meeting of the new Chamber of Commerce was held February 20 and the constitution and by-laws were accepted. The membership count was 140. Greenwood County was making an experiment in road building that seemed highly satisfactory. A portion of the material used was river gravel with considerable dirt binder therein and covered with clay. The Eureka postmaster had received word that city delivery mail service had been authorized for Eureka, starting July 1. Eureka had previously been under village delivery. The parcel post delivery service inaugurated March 1 had been a big help.

The Eureka baseball club was the strongest in the Southwestern League, financially. This was largely due to the enthusiastic support of fans in the Greenwood County oil town. Harry Campbell established a bus line from Eureka to Howard and return each day, with stops at Climax and Severy. The county commissioner purchased a new Monarch 1830 tractor and put it into service on light road work and maintenance, working as an assistant to the drag men. County engineer R.L. Marlin also was trying out a new highway maintainer.

Eureka was to have a big supply of gas. A pipeline was completed to the edge of the city and work on the local plant was underway. Greenwood County's assessed valuation in 1924 was $53,629,140 - or about $8 million more than last year. Most of the gain came from increased values due to oil, an increase in valuation of railroad property and utility company increases.

The Eureka Herald opened a contest to get new subscribers. The grand prize was a brand new 1924 model "Special Six" Studebaker touring car, and six other prizes including diamonds, radio, watches, etc. The S & H Bakery opened for business. The Bell Telephone Co. was adding new equipment to handle 200 more private line phones at the Eureka exchange. Eureka celebrated Armistice Day with a patriotic program and the dedication of the new Memorial Hall recently completed behind the courthouse to the west. A new standpipe of 180,000 gallon capacity was purchased by the city to supplement the 90,000 one then supplying the town. It was placed beside the other one on the hill north of town.

Main street flashed out in splendor for Christmas, with colored light bulbs in place of the usual white lights for street lighting. Evergreen trees also were set along the curbing. The Congregationalists of Eureka dedicated their beautiful new church building at the corner of Third and Elm streets on Sunday, December 21. By order of the mayor, a tree was taken from the city park, placed in one corner of the courthouse yard and decorated with colored lights for the Christmas season.

Title Page
1925 - 1926


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project