A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1921

John Coleman had opened a furniture store in the Crebo building. The Eureka Steam Bakery won first prize at the Bakers State Convention. The first calf club was organized when nine boys and two girls took 11 calves to compete for the best baby beef at the state fair in Topeka. The organization of a woman's athletic club in Eureka was very popular. Fifty women joined the club while their husbands were taking intensive training at gold to keep in fighting trim.

A new $10,000 annex was being built for the Hotel Lyndon. The new building, larger than the original, would be connected to the old building by a lobby. Drs. Cheney and Cheney installed a new x-ray machine in their dental parlors. Eureka's first airplane came to town on May 20. Ross Jackson bought the plane and came home with an experienced aviator, who was to teach him to fly.

W. Mitchell opened a new bakery in the Hodgson building. The bread was called "Purity Bread." The Eureka Baseball Assoc. completed the construction of a grand stand and players' dugouts at the ball park. The stand would accommodate 300 persons. The Lawson-Noble Motor Co. was the new Dodge agency located at 120 W. First Street.

The contract was let for building the country club house. It was opened with a reception and dance on Thanksgiving Day. Clay C. Carper formed a partnership with O.C. Zwicker. A tourist camping ground was being prepared at the city park around the bandstand by the Legion boys. A new business opened to be known as the Service Transfer Line. Walter Woods and E.C. Higgins were doing general freight and transfer business by means of automobile trucks.

The new Lutheran Church, ten miles northwest of Eureka, was dedicated on November 26. The Thrall well caused a stampede among lease buyers. Oil operators were busy in both Virgil and Climax.

1922

The water supply was exhausted at the city reservoir and water was being pumped from the river directly into the mains. Users of city water were notified to boil all water used for drinking purposes. County officers located a still about nine miles northeast of Eureka. They found a copper still, four full barrels of mash and a five-gallon glass bottle filled with corn whiskey and other paraphernalia, besides the two culprits.

A $50,000 high school was to be built at Reece. A big play by oil operators was expected in Greenwood County as hundreds of wells were proven. The Sallyards, Climax, Virgil, Teter and Thrall pools were to receive the most attention while new tests would be drilled elsewhere in the county. Eureka's first Community Sales Day was held Tuesday, April 11. In connection with the local business men's trade, a public auction was held with livestock, farm implements and other articles sold.

A site was chosen for the new west side grade school. It was to be erected on the east side of Walnut street between Fifth and Sixth streets. The first women to serve on a jury in Eureka were called to sit on a case. Kansas courts had been slow in calling members of the fairer sex for jury duty. A $50,000 corporation, the Driller's Supply, was organized. W.E. Doud razed the one-story frame building adjoining his seed house on West Second and was to erect a new building on the lot.

"High School Banner" the Eureka High School publication, ranked second among schools with an enrollment of 300 or less. Dr. W.T. Grove was erecting a two-story building at the corner of Third and Elm streets. The architectural design would permit a third story and elevator equipment to be added.

Eureka's first radio show was held at the Princess Theatre on June 7. The audience listened to the Kansas City Star's Radio Party. The concert was heard distinctly although the summer static was bad at times. Harold Sears was in charge of the new radio receiver. J.W. Parmerlee had purchased a half interest in the Princess Theatre from L.A. Wagner. Fire gutted the Commercial Hotel, erected 50 years ago (1872) on the corner of Main and First streets. The building was being rebuilt.

A petition for 42 blocks of paving had been approved and it was expected that 60 blocks of pavement would be laid in Eureka during the fall and winter. The city already had 10 miles of paved streets. The church members of the Congregational Church, Third and Elm, voted to build a $25,000 addition west of the present building. E.E. (Pat) Pedroja, formerly of Hamilton, located in Eureka for the practice of law and was associated with Homer V. Gooing. An old curfew ordinance was to be enforced and a curfew whistle was to blow at 9:00 p.m.

Title Page
1923 - 1924


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project