A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1919

Two U.S. Army airplanes visited Eureka, enroute from Scott Field, Ill. to Colorado. A gasser was brought in, estimated at 8 million cu. ft. per day, 12 miles southwest of Eureka on the Riley farm. The big Lassen Hotel in Wichita was opened January 1. A meeting was held in February for persons interested in establishing a co-op elevator. Russ Osborne had purchased an interest in Miller's Booterie. A gusher was brought in on Stanhope-Gregg with a start of 1,000 barrels per day. Pay sand was found at 1960 feet and oil poured over the top of the derrick. It was accompanied by a strong flow of gas and within a few minutes the rig caught fire and everything combustible within reach was destroyed. The well burned for several days. It later flowed 150 bbls. in 56 minutes. The Christy well was another oil-circle sensation, together with Teter.

Net results of a trip after whiskey runners in March was 55 gallons of whiskey, a big Reo car and one prisoner. The Pioneer Trust Co., a successor to the Eureka Mortgage Co., began business in march with D.C. Johnson as president. Electric rates were reduced - residential from 15 cents per KWH to 12 cents and business from 12 to 10 cents. The proposal to levy a tax of .2 mill to provide for a municipal band carried by an overwhelming majority. The Standard Oil station opened at Main and Fourth.

A rousing welcome was planned for the returning soldiers. Long tables were erected at Main-Third street intersection for the banquet. The crowd was so large, an overflow picnic was served at the park. Flint Hills pastures were renting from $13 to $20 per head. Eureka was visited by an Army tank in April in the interest of Victory loans. A hard-surfaced road to Reece was scheduled. The academy grounds and builds, a historic land mark, went under the hammer to the highest bidder on June 10. Purchasers were H.A. Lovett, D.S. McMeill, L.S. Hoover and Lon Smethers. The price was $3250. The building was razed in July and August. The ground, tenant house and barns were sold to Rev. Gardner and E.W. Jackson, the heating plant to C.N. Shambaugh and the stone was to be used in paving. The bell was placed in the belfry of the Congregational Church.

Dr. Manning sold his business to Dr. L.A. Jeffrey. eureka entertained 10,000 people on July 4. Eureka's new filtration plant was placed in operation in May. E.L. Barrier of the State Board of Administration had started a new style at the state house, working in his shirt sleeves and wearing galluses. Jackson & Forbes was a new law firm in eureka.

A passenger-carrying aeroplane had actually arrived. Seated in a luxurious cabin lighted by electricity, one could travel at a two-mile-a-minute rate over mountain and sea. The largest of the liners carried 30 passengers.

1920

Beginning with the January 1 issue, the Herald subscription was increased to $2 per year. The Hamilton Grit was now published by O.E. Trask, formerly of Madison. Oil companies were planning to spend millions in Greenwood County that would surpass anything in the state. A forest of oil rigs was appearing. The town was rapidly filling up with oil men and their families. The big rush was on, a small army of men was at work laying pipe, the roads were lined with trucks hauling in equipment. The Chamber of Commerce was host to many oil operators at a dinner and dance.

The Pioneer Bank opened for business in March with M.W. Allen as manager. The overall epidemic had struck Eureka in April. The most violent cases were from the high school - girls even felt the call to arms and decked out in gingham aprons. Downtown, the disease struck some business houses but in mild form. The clerks in the Barger grocery store set the pace by wearing bib overalls. W.R. Dennis was in the roll of chief diasticutis of the overall club. A cyclone struck Eureka on May 2, leaving destruction in its wake. Damage was estimated at $200,000.

Geo. E. Callen of Pittsburg joined the Herald force in June as business manager. J.F. Darby resigned as court stenographer and was to practice law. Stock was being subscribed for a country club at $200 per share. A site, 60 acres, was purchased northwest of town. Eureka city had a population of 2,600 and the county, 14,715. The auto population was 2,010 with 103 trucks.

The Madison Elevator burned in October. Dr. R.W. Moore moved to Eureka on December 1. Warren Harding was elected president of the United States. Dr. E.W. Fitch was the new veterinarian in Eureka. The American Legion minstrel "Hoop La" was featured in December.

Production from the wells in Greenwood County was rated at 4,500 barrels per day. Test wells were to be drilled near Severy.

Title Page
1921 - 1922


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project