A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1908

Eureka had a show - a five-cent moving picture and illustrated song show in the room south of Morris' Drug Store. The business was sold to J.G. Baxter in February. Fire escapes were installed at the high school. Ordinance No. 372 gave the fire chief an annual salary of $25 and the assistant received $20. Each fireman was allowed $1.00 per run if the apparatus was hauled a distance of two blocks from the station.

Eureka had its first Chautaucua in July in the city park. John Cochran joined the ranks of the gasoline-buggy brigade. He bought a 12 hp Victor runabout and was busy all week getting onto the whims of the machine. Claude Ruggles had purchased a Wagner motorcycle to deliver mail but the steed acted so badly he was forced to return to town and again resort to his trusty horses. One of the new cars, an 18 hp Buick, made the trip from Kansas City in 14 hours, or at the rate of 14 1/2 miles per hour. T.J. Souders had purchased three cars and a Holsman motor buggy. C.E. Moore joined the exponents of the steering wheel with a file little Buick runabout. The first steam auto for Eureka, a big White Stanley Steamer, was owned by G.W. Barrows. Will Peters had purchased a new Maxwell and now there were about 15 cars in Eureka.

Kansas held its first primary election in August. The city ordinance whereby all horses on Main street must be securely tied to a solid object was being enforced. An electric piano was installed at the Electric Theatre, owned by Baxter. Leopol Vanhaverbeke had purchased the Eureka Greenhouse from D.B. Fuller.

1909

Chas. C. Ladd and Clarence Bailey were owners of a new grocery store in town. The Greenwood County Improved Stock Breeders Assoc. was organized in March. Dr. L.G. Van Voorhis located in Eureka to practice the profession of veterinary medicine and dentistry. Max Stuelpner was awarded the contract to install a steam heating plant at the courthouse. The cost was $2000. The T.J. Souders garage (the first in Eureka) located on South Main, was opened for business in June. With nearly 20 cars in Eureka and vicinity, the outlook for future business was bright.

The Christian Church at Reece was dedicated July 11. James Young opened a tailor shop in Eureka. The cornerstone for the new Methodist Church in Utopia was laid in August. H.D. Hover had taken his matched driving team to the American Royal. The McCaslin store opened in Oct. A new hitching rack of heavy hedge posts set in concrete was put up north of the courthouse for the benefit of country people.

1910

The handsome new schoolhouse at Hamilton was completed. The Eureka Mortgage Co. was a new institution in Eureka with Capt. Ira P. Nye as president. Edwin Tucker, who came to Eureka in 1857 and was instrumental in founding the city, died in January. The Palace Cafe was destroyed by fire in March. The annual coursing meet was held under the management of Dr. Moonleigt and E.M. Hager. The event was held 2 1/2 miles west of town on the Essick farm. C.A. Leedy, a dry goods and clothing merchant in Eureka for many years, retired in July. Frank H. Brooks purchased his business.

The Farmer's Feed Yard, corner of Oak and Third, was opened in April. W.E. Doud was erecting a new store building on West Second. Daughters of Rebekah, an auxiliary lodge to the Odd Fellows, was organized in June. A new picture show, in a test, had opened at the corner of Fourth and Main.

William Jennings Bryan appeared on the Chautauqua program in August. The Citizens National Bank had installed a new burglar-proof vault. St. Paul's Norwegian Lutheran Church was being erected at the corner of First and Sycamore streets, the first church to be located west of Main. A special election was held December 20 to submit to the voters of Eureka the commission form of government. It carried and was to replace the council form. Under the new system the mayor was to receive $300 per year and the other two commissioners received $250 each. The town's most sacred landmark, the town spring, had been cleaned out and walled up with brick and cement.

Title Page
1911 - 1912


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project