A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1901

Citizens National Bank opened its doors for business on January 2. Eureka schools had no commencement in the spring of 1901. Reason - no one to graduate. It was necessary to skip one commencement in order to catch up with the enlarged course in high school, from a three year to a four year school. The Eureka Club was formed in Jan. with a membership of 60, for social advantages and mutual improving. The first firemen's banquet was held February 26. Theo. Fischer opened a feed store with Max Stuelpner occupying the rear of the building with a plumbing and tin shop.

New hitching posts had been installed west of the courthouse. The Entre Nous Club opened the city library on April 23, located over the Citizen's National Bank. It contained 600 volumes. The street commissioned reported 62 wagon loads of tin cans, rocks, barb wire, barrel hoops, etc. had been hauled to the dump from in front of resident houses and side streets. The Lutheran Church spent $1000 to remodel the building. An entire business block in Madison was destroyed by fire in July. A large hotel building in Fall River burned in August. Eureka and Madison had their first telephone connection in September. The Episcopalians had erected a new church on North Main and bids were being received for the erection of a new $2000 Catholic Church on the present site. Electricity was off four weeks while repairs were being made. A 40 ft. smoke stack had been installed at the waterworks plant. Local ice dealers had put up 1800 tons of ice for the summer season.

1902

The Herald moved to its new quarters (the present location) on Jan 3 in the building formerly occupied by the Law Harness Shop. The new office was neither elaborate or beautiful but was sufficient to the demands. The Severy Commercial Club was organized in January. Soldiers were being recruited for service in the Philippine Islands. The automobile craze had hit Eureka and a salesman was in town talking to prospects. Two automobiles were in Eureka in May - the first to ever visit the town. A number of people were given rides and figures on machines, should they decide to buy. Another company was organized to prospect for minerals in the Flint Hills.

The city turned down a $15,000 bond proposition for school purposes. Dr. D.W. Basham moved from Neal to Wichita in April. The State Bank of Hamilton opened in April. A Commercial Club was organized in June. Hamilton was again scorched when a merchandise store and postoffice were burned for the second time in two years. The cornerstone for the new Catholic Church was laid August 10 and the church was dedicated November 16.

After a previous unsuccessful attempt to find gas, Eureka finally discovered the mineral at 380 feet on August 6 and a 10-year franchise was granted. A second gas well was struck in September. Several thousand people were in Eureka in September for the reunion of the Grand Army of the Republic. A new lumber yard was erected at Fifth and Main, to be later known as the Rock Island Lbr. Co. Piedmont had a new publication, Piedmont World, edited by G.W. Burrows. A rural route, known as the Coal Springs route, was established at Severy.

Electricity was now turned on at 5:30 a.m. and burned until sunup, for the convenience of early risers. Water wells had been completed near the pumping station and city water patrons were assured of an abundance of water. A prospecting company from Kansas City was soon to bore for oil in the Flint Hills (they started drilling in March, 1903).

Title Page
1903 - 1905


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project