A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1893

A valuable deposit of clay existed on the Mann ranch in South Salem township. Many carloads had been shipped to New York. Santa Fe erected a 40,000 gallon tank at the north end of the depot and paid $160 a year to the city for water. The fire department paraded on Washington's birthday and was reviewed by members of the city council. Eureka merchants "took in" 2700 dozen eggs on one Saturday and paid 12 cents per dozen. Ordinance No. 124 regulated the sale of Hop Tea Tonic and all other liquids containing alcohol.

The Herald changed from a nine-column folio to six-column quarto on June 26 when the 16th year of its existence began. The legislature authorized Janesville township to issue $800 in bonds for the purpose of building or buying a town hall, subject to an election. The special election resulted in a negative vote.

Three Indians, all bucks, and a lot of ponies, passed through Eureka in July. Ordinance No. 130 provided a penalty for any barber who operated his business on Sunday. The Ozark Land & Mineral Company's factory building was completed in August and the machinery all set. A steam heater was installed in the Westside school in August. The Eureka Lumber Company was organized for the purpose of doing business in the Strip. They had two yards - one at Enid and the other at Pond Creek, Okla.

The Strip was open for settlement on September 16. The road was lined with covered wagons, containing men, women and children. They expected about one home seeker for each acre of land. Several men from Eureka made the run and a few made claims.

Greenwood's National Guard membership was 50 enlisted men. In 1893 there were 15 townships in the county and 29 postoffices - Eureka, Madison, Fall River, Severy, Climax, Derry, Fame, Flint Ridge, Hamilton, Hickman, Hill Top, Ivanpah, Lapland, Lena Valley, Neal, Piedmont, Quincy, Reece, Twin Falls, Utopia, Tonovay, Virgil, Willow Valley, Carroll, Lamont, Ruweda, Thrall, Star and Brigham. It cost Kansas $8000 per month to pay the salaries of state house officials and their employees.

1894

A new paper, "The Leader," was originated in Virgil, A.J. Howell, editor. J.A. McCoy was operating a dray and cab service. A burial vault was being erected in Greenwood Cemetery at a cost of $1500. The foundation was to be four feet thick with the floor of cut jointed stone. The walls were to be white limestone and the arched roof was to be covered with tiling.

The Lapland mail carrier had a tough time because of snow. It took him two days to make the trip which he could easily make in one day in good weather. The Missouri Pacific was putting in a side-track west of Eureka about three miles near the Landergin residence. A stockyard and cattle chute would be added. The Citizens Building & Loan Association met to adopt by-laws for the new organization. A 50 cent penalty was charged for members not present at the annual meeting.

New York Weekly Tribune and the Eureka Herald were offered for one year at $1.50. The Star Grocery, T.J. Sauders & Sons, was ready for business, located in the White building.

1895

New sidewalks were being laid in different parts of the city. The Christian Church people decided to erect a new church, to be completed within the next two years, and to occupy the same site as the present church. Water pumps at the pumping station, which had been in bad order for months, were repaired and the city was boasting a water pressure equal to any in the state.

The Missouri-Pacific offered special Fourth of July rates to all points within 200 miles. One lowest standard first class fare for round trip. No ticket sold at a rate less than 50 cents. The Herald never was in better health as it went into its 28th year. Its secret - "The people like a newspaper, one that has news in it; give them a paper of that kind and you can safely trust them to do the rest." One dollar pulled the latch-string for 52 weeks.

Title Page
1896 - 1998


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project