A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1891

The Howard branch of the A T & SF had two northbound trains daily and two southbound. The Missouri-Pacific had three eastbound trains and four westbound. The Eureka Herald was $1.50 per year through January 1, 1893 - through two elections. The Topeka Weekly Capital and the Herald were sent, postage paid for $1.75 for one year (a Republican paper with unswerving loyalty to the grand old party.)

the Virgil Church of United Brethren in Christ was dedicated on Sunday, October 1.

1892

The phonograph at Kendricks was proving attractive. It would take a great many dollars to go east and hear the famous "Marine Band," "The 1st Regiment Band of New Jersey," or Mr. Gaskin, the finest tenor singer in the world, and yet, by stepping into Kendricks and investing a nickel, one could hear any of the above.

The Santa Fe was offering excursion rates from all stations in Kansas to all points in Oklahoma for those who desired to see "The Promised Land" before the official notice of the opening to settlement of the Cherokee Strip and the Cheyenne and Arapaho country.

In February, a small party of citizens met to consider the depressed conditions of general affairs and to see if ways and means could be discovered to better economic conditions. In a second meeting, the Greenwood County Improvement Club was organized with Edwin Tucker as president. The object of the club was to stimulate and develop industrial pursuits of Greenwood County. Searches for information for possible industries in this area were conducted.

J.E. Evans of the electric light plant was working on a storage batter by which he expected to be able to light private residences nearly as cheaply as the cost of coal oil lighting. Severy was building a new depot. The Greenwood County Improvement Club designated May 21 as Market Day with auctioneer's service, yardage hay and water free. It was a sale of stock or anything else to help promote a regular day for the sale. It was a success. Cattlemen of the county held a meeting to take a decided step toward enforcement of laws regarding the shipping of foreign cattle. As thousands of cattle were arriving, it was felt they should be taxed, in justice to resident cattlemen.

The fire bell had a crack. Hitting it sounded like hitting and old shovel with a club. The fire boys, "The Maroons," had returned from Springfield, Mo., where they won second place in all the races. They were given a royal reception at the depot headed by the city dads, the band and several hundred admirers. Later, in Abilene they won first in the running race, the couplers contest and the ladder-climbing contest. Lunches at Charley Jacks were five cents and upwards, any kind you wanted. A new band was formed at Climax with H.M. Morris as instructor. Charles Leedy was selling straw matting for 25 and 32 cents per yard and ladies' gaiters for 50 cents per pair.

A huge circus visited Eureka in August, complete with six bands, 24 horses, elephants, camels, water buffalo, zebras, lions, tigers, leopards - and "long skirt" dancers. The attendance in the afternoon was 3000. The Virgil Review was moved to Madison. It takes nearly five years to tan an elephant's skin but a kid's skin can be tanned successfully in less than a minute.

The Herald editor, Z. Harlan, purchased the Greenwood County Republican from W.E. doud in September, 1892, and consolidated the two papers. The electric light plant was sold in October to a company incorporated under the name of the Eureka Power & Light Co. The new Methodist Church building at Thrall was dedicated November 13. The first issue of the Kansas Advocate was published in Fall River in November. Lowry Gilmore was the editor. The county asylum had 12 inmates. A disastrous fire occurred in Fall River in December resulting in a $10,000 damage.

Title Page
1893 - 1895


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project