A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1882
1882

There was a severe epidemic of smallpox in Gould City (Severy) - the city was under strict quarantine surveillance, business was at a standstill and schools were closed. Many deaths were reported. The disease was first discovered at the Pacific House Hotel.

The United Brethren Church at virgin was dedicated in January and the Methodist Church in that city was dedicated on February 5. The Lutheran church of eureka was dedicated on September 17. McBrown Methodist Church near Fall River was dedicated in October.

Eureka Lodge No. 85, Ancient Order of United Workmen, was instituted on January 14. The Severy Odd Fellow Lodge was organized in June by the Eureka lodge. The Knights of Pythias was organized here in Sept.

A new schoolhouse was being built in Severy of stone brought from near Beaumont in the Flint Hills. A Sunday School was organized at Farmington schoolhouse about four miles south of town. Two new postoffices were established - one five miles east of Twin Falls, named Boaz, and one 12 miles east of Eureka named for Moses Neal.

Mr. Evans had sold to O.E. Ladd a plow, subsoiler, corn planter and a coverer combined in one machine called a "lister." A good many farmers were anxious to see how it did its work.

Michael Sweard of Salt Springs township, who lived one mile northwest of Fall River, was supposed to be the oldest white settler in Kansas and came here in the fall of 1838. He made his claim at the Fall River address in 1857.

The air was unduly seasoned with chinch bugs in May. The pests didn't seem to be doing much damage but there were enough of them on hand to clean out all the crops in Greenwood County in a week if they got down to business.

The St. Louis, Fort Scott and Wichita railroad reached Emporia on June 9. At about 5:30 in the afternoon the track layers reached Main street on Ninth. The construction engine sounded its whistle and the crowd of spectators present rent the air with cheers. Donations were contributed for a treat for the 200 workmen, and as the last rail was spiked, a barrel of cider was tapped and its contents freely distributed, while at the same time numerous boxes of cigars were opened and passed around. At ten o'clock that night the regular passenger train drew up at the end of the track in Eureka for the first time and started for Fort Scott at six in the morning. The depot for the road was nearly completed. It was located on the east side of Main street on Ninth. The first mail on the new railroad left on August 23. In December the track was completed to Reeceville, 10 miles west of Eureka, and trains started to that point. Poles for the telegraph line on the railroad were planted in July and the first messages sent.

The new Floral Hall at the fairgrounds was ready for occupancy.

An Ordinance was published authorizing the levying of a tax of seven and one-half mills; five mills for general revenue fund and two and one-half mills to meet the interest on bonds issued for the new railroad.

Title Page
1883 - 1884


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project