A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1878

At a meeting in the courthouse in September, the Kansas City, Burlington & Santa Fe railroad reported they will extend their line to the south line of the state, through Greenwood County, if the county would aid them to the amount of $4000 per mile, a right-of-way through the county and depot grounds in Eureka, and would build the road and have cars running within eight months.

A circus street parade proved an interesting feature. It was one moving mass of gorgeous brilliancy from the superb band chariot to the concluding cage with a quarter of ferocious looking lions and Bengal tigers. The steam piano was an object of special interest.

Prairie fires raged in the county for several days, burning thousands of tons of hay and other property almost beyond estimate.

More residences were needed in Eureka. Every building in town was filled, some of them containing two or three families.

The flow of immigration still continues. Strangers were daily looking for land. As a general rule, those who are coming brought with them some capital and were prepared to pay cash in full for land.

Olney & Morris received a magnificent new soda fountain. It was of marble and highly ornamental.

The Indians were in town on a Saturday and bought or begged several of the fattest dogs in town.

The Methodist society commenced work on their church edifice in June. The church services were being held in the courthouse while the church was being built.

Dr. Wakefield's team came near making things interesting by running away. They broke loose from Judge Olney's fence while the Doc was in the house. He ran out to stop them, caught the lines and braced himself, but their momentous was greater than his resistance and in a jiffy he found himself making an ungraceful effort to imitate the tumbler who performed on Main street two days previous. The team went not-withstanding the strange antics of people on main street to stop them. They were finally halted on Second street.


1879

A cow succeeded in entangling her horns in the standards of a sled at the rear of the Nye store, overturned the sleigh and frightened horses hitched nearby which nearly escaped before their owners could catch them. Of course, the cow was committing a trespass at the time.

Ivanpah was the name of the new postoffice in the west Fall River region.

R.M. Rizer & Co. (general store) advertised its terms were cash or its equivalent.

Good teams were offered $2.50 to $3.00 for work on the railroad, south of Emporia.

A most grotesque picture was presented on the streets of Eureka by the appearance of a family of "'poo' white trash from North Carliny." The family, father, mother, son and daughter, had no team at all and their household effects were packed in a hand cart which they had hauled all the way from their home in the mountains.

Household hint - To remove iron taste from new kettles, boil a handful of hay in them.

The town of Charleston was removed from its present site to a location south and the new town was called Greenwood.

A new town was laid off at the crossing of the Kansas City, Emporia, and Southern and the Missouri, Wichita and Western railroads and was called Severy. (November) A month later it was a thriving little town of 16 houses.

Title Page
1880


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project