A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1877

In January 1877, S.G. Mead sold his interest in the Herald to Col. H.C. Rizer and G.F. Dunham.

The people of Greenwood County were called upon to vote, on April 24, as whether the county should subscribe stock in the amount of $4000 per mile for a railroad in the county. The bond election carried by a majority of 149.

Mr. Tucker had made a trip to Emporia, after resorting to a variety of methods of transportation. He rode in his buggy as far as Dry Creek, which he found anything but dry, thence on by boat, by mule back and afoot. He admired the long mule with the tall ears as a safe, reliable and convenient arrangement for ferrying across deep water.

The city council passed ordinances in June prohibiting the erection of wooden buildings on Main street between River and Fourth; the city marshal was to wear a badge indicative of his office; and the spring near the Eureka Mills was public property and it was a finable offense to dip water from it with a dirty bucket.

The fifth annual fair was held in September.

The first copy of the Madison Times, a 6-column paper was issued in 1877 by Bennett and Trask.

(Nov. 1, 1877) With this issue the Herald greets its patrons from new quarters, the proprietors having leased apartments in the new building recently erected by Olney & Morris. The office will be found on the second floor, first door at the head of the stairs.

But few people can ever enjoy the rare felicitities experienced in moving a printing office. A week ago we were blissfully ignorant of the delights attending such an undertaking - until we embarked in the moving of the office did we ever know anything about the dirt that could be stowed away so securely. There was dust and grease and ink, and ink and grease and dust in all imaginable places, in most inconvenient quantities.

An unusual amount of people were in town on Saturday, November 17, Main street being almost blockaded by teams. There were also an unusual as well as unnecessary number of drunken men on the street, in spite of the moral influence of a saloon.

The Christian Church was rented for additional school space and Mrs. Claycomb secured as the teacher.

Title Page
1878 - 1879


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project