A Century of Greenwood County, KS History - Eureka Herald, 1968

1876

Park Place schoolhouse was situated on an elevated piece of ground at or near the center of district 8. The house was 38 x 36 feet and would accommodate 60 or 70 persons very comfortably.

The city appropriated $10 for 59 shade trees to be planted in the cemetery.

A petition was received by the city council praying for a night herd law in the city of Eureka. No action was taken as in the summer month the cattle were out on the prairie and did not annoy people.

Wouldn't it be a good plan for the city to build a cross-walk from the courthouse across Main street? In muddy weather pedestrians have a hard time getting over. (A walk 2 1/2 feet wide, built of two-inch plank, firmly spiked, was authorized by the city council, at a cost not to exceed $20.

The city council, in its annual report, stated $21.75 had been spent to grade Main street; $100 was used for shrubbery in the courthouse grounds; $125.39 had been paid out to the fire department for apparatus and fire protection for the year; and city officers received $218.75 as salaries.

For sale - One yoke of good work oxen. Seven miles southwest of Eureka.

In May, 1876, the Hook and Ladder Co, appointed at committee to examine the supply of water in various wells over town that would be available in case of fire. Nine wells were listed, some with pumps and buckets.

The Bee Hive store advertised 16 yards of calico for $1.00; 14 yards of brown muslin for $1.00; and bleached muslin, 12 yards for $1.00. The steer market in Kansas City was from $3.50 to $4.75 and hogs were selling for $4.40. There were 9,140 acres of wheat in Greenwood County in 1876; 19.145 acres corn; 5,950 acres oats; 3,600 horses, 4,755 milch cows, 17,428 other cattle; 81,288 peach trees and 65,272 apple trees. The population was 5,526.

The city calaboose was sold to a farmer for $38.75 to store rye in. It had had old rye in it before, but the farmer thought his rye would not make so much disturbance.

Eureka held a grand celebration on July 4, the centennial year of American Independence. An actual count showed 228 wagons in the parade with 1900 persons, exclusive of those on horseback.

A Eureka Board of Trade was organized in August, 1876.

Total county expenditures for the year amounted to $14,262.71.

City Ordinance No. 59 prohibited neat cattle, horses, mules and asses from running at large within the corporate limits of the city between the hours of 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.

A very large colony settled on the Verdigris in the neighborhood of Shell Rock. They belonged to the sect called Amish (something like the Mennonites) and were mostly of German origin.

Thirty-four school districts in the county had paid off their entire bond of tax.

A public well was dug on Third street, west of Main, at a cost of $79.85.

Title Page
1877


You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] reader since 28 April 1997

Used by permission of the Eureka Herald 1997, for the KSGenWeb Project

Copyright ©1997  Debbie Wafford / SLC, Utah   drwaff@mail.aros.net

The KSGenWeb logo is copyrighted for the exclusive use of the KSGenWeb Project for display on official KSGenWeb Pages only. Unauthorized use of the contents of this page for profit/commercial ventures is expressly prohibited.

Home to Greenwood County


Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project