Gove County Kansas

Kelly Cemetery

 

Northeast Corner of the NW 1/4 of Section 8 Township 13 Range 31

This cemetery was first called Union Cemetery. At least in the obituary of Samuel A. Stevenson in 1904, it was called Union. Today it is known as Kelly Cemetery. When and why the name was changed is unknown.

This cemetery is fenced, but it is not very well cared for. This land was first homesteaded by William Ammons and later sold to John Hape in 1901.

Some graves are marked with illegible chalk rocks; others have metal grave markers erected several years ago by older members of the community who could remember where they were buried. There are probably still some unmarked graves in this cemetery.

This information was researched and compiled by Peggy Stevenson Ricker in June 1986.


Kelly Cemetery
Click on picture to enlarge

SurnameGiven NameBirth Date on HeadstoneDeath Date on HeadstoneInscription on Headstone
*Notes*
BeougherInfant18891889 
BeougherRay18921893 
BowlesInfant   
DrakeHannah D.19011902 
DrakeLeona Mae18931894 
DrakeLloyd Edward18951896 
HapesHenry L. Dec. 13, 1893Son of J. & H. Hapes. Age 4 yrs, 19 days; Gone but not forgotten; At rest *This is the only actual tombstone in the cemetery*
HollingsworthMrs.   
LansingMrs. Oscar   
LongLon   
ScottVera E. 1898 
StevensonEmma18691899 
StevensonSamuel18731904 
StormsMrs. Parker   
Unknown   *with chalk monument, illegible*
Unknown   *with chalk monument, illegible*
Unknown   *with chalk monument, illegible*
Unknown   *with chalk monument, illegible*
Unknown   *with chalk monument, illegible*

Return to Gove County Cemetery Index Page

Return to Gove County Main Page


Last updated  04/25/2005


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

©2002, Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project
KSGenWeb
Archives
Return to
Gove County