United States Flag

Ellis County, Kansas
City of Walker

Kansas State Flag

Walker is located five miles north of the location of old Fort Fletcher. The town was located on the railroad near Walkers Creek.  During the 1870's, many English settlers located in the Walker and Victoria area.

During the Second World War, Walker Air Base was constructed by the United States Army Air Corps. It was operated as a training center in 1942 and was closed on January 31, 1946.

The history of Walker is documented in The Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas, August 31, September 1 and 2, 1926, in the Walker section

In 1872, a colony from Cincinnati, Ohio settled just south of Walker. They were:

Arthur White
Lilly Meredith
Atillia Beal
James McCook (might be James M. Cook)
Frank A. Dorsman
John D. Holcomb
Michael Naughton
William Middlemus
Charles Schott
Joe C. Wildt

A German colony from Philadelphia settled south of Walker near Fort Fletcher in 1876. Included were:

John Baumrucker
Adam Wagner
Jake Wall
William Rineiser (might be Ringeiser)

A German group settled 3 miles south of Walker in 1876. Included were:

Roman Withe
? Kuntz
William Robben (might be Robbin)
George Robben (might be Robbin)
Matt Robbins
Herman Robben (might be Robbins)
Herman Schippers
Henry Tholen
? Wellbrock
? Stephenson

From Junction City, Ohio in March of 1878:

Herman Berens
Ulrich Berens

Also arriving in 1878 were:

Clemens Griese
Herman Schulte

Later arrivals included:

William Funke
Gerard Wellbrock
Herman Tholen
Theodore Munk
William Schrant
Matthew Robben
Huser family
Henry VonLintel
William Heyl

 


Blue Skyways
Home Page for Kansas

Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project

Kansas GenWeb Project U.S. GenWeb Project