George Washington Jackson
In May of 1886G. W. Jackson came to Decatur County and was engaged in the dray and transfer business with his brother James J. (J. J. Jackson). The moving of houses was an important business in the early 1890ís and George Jackson did that work so well, that he practically had no competition in this section of the state. For years Mr. Jackson in connection with his dray business and house moving managed a livery barn on the block east of the sales pavilion (now in 2005 it would be in the block east of the Post Office).
On February 25, 1911, the livery barn burned and he then concentrated on just the house moving business.
Below are pictures of the livery barn burning and some of the houses and other buildings being moved. He built the large wheels used in moving these buildings and the Decatur County Museum has a set of these on exhibit.
Marion Powell Residence, Marion , NE May 21,1912
Mrs. Zimmerman's Residence. Danbury, NE May 30-1912
Orville Murren Residence, St. Francis, KS 1-7-1913
Otis Benton's House
Cathloic Parsonage, McCook, NE
Art Steele House
Between these dates was the start of using tractors to pull the buildings instead of horses.
Mrs. Metcalf's House Nov. 20, 1913
H. C. Clapp's House, McCook, NE Dec. 14, 1913
Rush Coler Barn, Nov. 14, 1914
Lee Greenwood house and barn Nov. 18, 1914
Ferguson Farm Home Dec. 16, 1914
Dresden Bank Building 1915
School House, McCook NE
Straightening the Clark Barn
W. J. Bower's House, Norton, KS
Unknown House and the crossing over of a bridge
The originals are located at the Decatur County Museum
This site was established by Sharleen Wurm and is dedicated to free access to records, documents and photos of historical and genealogical value. Documents contained herein may be copied for personal, non-commercial use as long as this message remains on all copied material. These records, documents and photos may not be reproduced, published or re-published for any reason, in any format, including electronic (web pages or CD's) and print, without prior written consent of the contributors or copyright holders.