Luther Buell Ferguson, the son of "Harry" William Harrison and "Della" Rhonda Idella (Hooten) Ferguson, was born in Ringwood, Major County, Oklahoma, on March 6, 1906. At the age of four his family left Oklahoma and moved to the Ferguson homestead in Richland Township, Butler County. The family moved to several homes in the vicinity living in the four counties of Butler, Cowley, Sedgwick, and Sumner at different times.
The FERGUSON Family
Ina "Irene" Cook, the daughter of "Ed" Edgar B. and Alta Rilda (Smith) Cook, was born on August 9, 1907 one mile west of Udall in Ninnescah Township, Cowley County. She graduated from Udall High School in 1925.
Luther and Irene were married on his twenty-first birthday, March 6, 1927 in the First Congregational Church parsonage in Udall by the Rev. Harry A. Scott.
Luther worked for his father-in-law, Ed Cook for several years then moved to Richland Township, Butler County, to farm. In about 1935, Ed retired and Luther and Irene and girls moved to the farm west of Udall to begin a farming operation there. Through the years, Luther and Irene raised dairy cattle, beef cattle, mules, horses, swine, chickens, as well as corn, oats, barley, wheat, Milo, alfalfa, and soybeans. They also raised five daughters, Barbara Seaman, Joyce Brookings, Jewell Lacey, Caroline Miller, and Linda Morten.
In 1965, Luther and Irene tore down the old two story house which according to Ed Cook had been built for $700 and replaced it with a new brick home.
Luther retired from farming in 197 1. They enjoyed going to Texas for the winter and Colorado for the summer for many years following retirement. Luther is an avid fisherman and Irene enjoys crocheting and quilting. Four of the five daughters still live in the Udall area.
Submitted by Janet Schanbacher
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, pg 165 and 166.
Tom & Carolyn Ward, Columbus, KS