Cowley County Heritage Book


- 306 - 307 - 308 - 309 - 310 -

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 306

(continued on page 305) The family moved back to the Maple City area and Joseph (Joe) grew up there.

As a young man he worked at the grocery store in Maple City and told some interesting stories about making the all day trips to Arkansas City, with a team and wagon, to bring back supplies for the store.

One such story was about having to unload most of the load at the bottom of Horseshoe Hill and carry it up the hill, piece by piece, because the horses refused to pull the loaded wagon up the hill.

He served in the Army in World War 1. He married Blanche Elberta Simpson, 2/23/1928 in Enid, Oklahoma. They had met when Blanche came to Kansas to visit in the home of Zina and Jessie Moore. Blanche is the daughter of Addie B. and Iona Simpson of Garber, Oklahoma.

They farmed in the Maple City and Dexter area until 1936. They had one daughter, Betty Joan, born 8/27/1930, on a farm near Dexter. I am that daughter.

In 1936 we moved too farm near Cameron where I started first grade. That school is no longer in existence. I attended school at Tisdale, Floral and, from the fourth grade on, Winfield schools, graduating from Winfield High School in 1948. During this period of time Joe worked in the oil fields, at Boeing during World War II, at the Yellow Cab Co. in Winfield, and later owned and operated the Yellow Cab Co. in Arkansas City. Before he retired he had spent the preceding 18 years working at Boeing.

Joe celebrated his 90th birthday 7/4/1986 and died 12/26/ 1988. He is buried in Memorial Lawn Cemetery. Blanche still lives in Winfield. One sister, Elsa Treece, resides in Son Antonio, Texas.

I married Basil E. (Barney) Ross 12/19/1848. We have three children, Thomas Wayne, David Michael and Kathleen Valerie, and four grandchildren, Stephanie, Bradley, Jennifer and Michelle Ross.

Submitted by Betty Thomas Ross
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 306.

Back to the top.

T.L. Thompson

Thomas Lewis Thompson came to America with his family from Stavanger, Norway in 1857. He was eight-years-old. He came with his father and mother, Lars and Dorotea Thompson, and his brother Mathias, and sister Martha. The family name at that time was Nygaard, but after moving to the United States they changed it to Thompson.

The Thompson family landed in Quebec, Canada and then went on to Dayton, Illinois. None of the family could speak English. Tom's mother sent him to play with the neighbor children each day so he could learn to speak English and then teach the family. After learning to speak English, Tom attend ed school. He went to work in a woolen mill at age 12. He was so short that he had to stand on a box to do his work. He worked in the mill ten years.

In 1870, when Tom was 22 years old, he heard of the land in Kansas which was being homesteaded. He and a friend went to Kansas and Tom took a claim six miles northwest of Cedar Vale on Otter Creek in Cowley County. The nearest land office was at Augusta which was approximately 70 miles away. Tom herded sheep for nearby ranchers and he also was a carpenter. He helped build the first store in Cedar Vale, It was called Early & Bishop.

In 1871 Tom went back to Illinois and when he returned he brought his father Lars and the other members of Lars' family. The end of the railroad at that time was at Humboldt, Kansas. At Humboldt they met Randolph Hite and John Radcliff who were emigrating to Dexter. They hauled their baggage to Dexter, which had three stores at the time. Lars secured 120 acres on Otter Creek for his farm.

On February 24, 1877 at Sedan, Kansas, Tom married Cassie Jane Lowe. Three children were born at the farm on Otter Creek; Walter Lars, Ross Mathias, and Winnie Dorothea.

In 1882, when Winnie was 6 months old, Tom bought an 80 acre farm on Plum Creek, about 3 miles northeast of Dexter. The other four children were born on this farm. They were; Sarah Mina, Madelsa Jane, Stephen Victor and Warren Dean. All of the children attended the Plum Creek School.

Tom built a large nine room, two story house for his family. Cassie Jane passed away in 1925. Tom lived on the farm until he passed away at the age of 97 years. In 1959, having purchased the property from the other children, Ross sold it to Byron Radcliff who tore down the house and barn.

Lars, Tom's father, dedicated a small parcel of land as a burial place for himself and Dorothea. In 1874, L.M. Henery, and his wife Bonnie, purchased a farm which was known as the Gammon place. Bonnie discovered the small cemetery and restored it. She cleaned up the brush and debris and had a fence put around it. She named the little cemetery the Otter Creek Cemetery. It is now a beautiful place, thanks to Bonnie. The Thompson family owes her a debt of gratitude.

Submitted by Lucile Thompson Horn
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 306.

Back to the top.

The Carl Thomson Family

Carlos Franklin Thomson came to Arkansas City from Canada in 1870, at the age of 10, to help his father in the lumber business. They were among the early builders in Arkansas City

As a young man, Carlos, shortened to Carl, worked for Ranney-Davis Wholesale Company as a freighter. He carried food into Indian Territory as far south as Edmond, Oklahoma. Later, he married Elizabeth Andrews to which union was born seven children: Clara, Clarence, Ernie, Myra, Robert, Dick, Ira.

Their daughter, Myra, was a teacher in Cowley County rural schools and Clara and Ira died at a young age.

Elizabeth died in 1900 and Carl married Emma Drew, who had two daughters from a previous marriage: Lena and Beulah. Lena taught special education in Winfield and Beulah worked for the Arkansas City Traveler.

Carl and Emma had five children: Myron, Edith, Nina, Helen and William. In 1910, they moved from Oklahoma to Arkansas City and for many years lived on a farm on east Kansas Avenue. Carl and Emma lost two children: Helen and William.

Myron, nicknamed Mike, attended the Arkansas City schools and in 1922 went to work as an apprentice for the San to Fe Railroad. After finishing his apprenticeship, he worked for the Santa Fe in Shawnee, Seminole, and Oklahoma City. He died in 1982.

Edith graduated from the Arkansas City schools. In 1938, she married James H. Shipp. She received a life certificate to teach from Pittsburg State Teachers College and in 1960 grad uated from Southwestern College in Winfield. She taught school in Cowley County and Sumner County, Kansas, Kay County, Oklahoma, and Henry County, Iowa. She retired from the Arkansas City schools in 1971. In 1988, Jim and Edith retired from farming and moved to 1430 North A Street in Arkansas City Kansas. They have no children.

Nina attended the Arkansas City schools. In 1929, she mar ried Fred Gee and parented three children: Bette, Janell and Ronal. Nina worked at the Newton Memorial Hospital in Win- field for ten years. In 1977, she retired from the Arkansas City Memorial Hospital. She and Fred, also retired, are living east of Arkansas City in the same home where they set up house keeping in 1929.

Bette graduated from Arkansas City schools in 1950 and Kansas State College in 1957. Bette married Marvin Cranston in 1955 and produced two children. She currently works in a bank in Derby, Kansas.

Janell graduated from Arkansas City High School in 1955. Janell and Max Burton were married in 1955 and have two children. They reside in Newton where Janell sells real estate.

Ronal graduated from the Arkansas City High School in 1957 and the Junior College in 1959. Ronal married Charlotte Dickerman in 1958 and they have three children. Ronal owns and operates the Ark City Mirror and Glass Company in Arkansas City.

Carl Thomson died in 1929. He was buried in Parker Cemetery near Arkansas City. Emma died in 1939 and was buried in the Newkirk Cemetery near Newkirk, Oklahoma.

Submitted by Edith (Thomson) Shipp
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 306.

Back to the top.

Charles Joseph Thornton

Charles Joseph (Joe), one of identical twins and seventh of eight children of Carrie Ellen (Anderson) and William Bert Thornton, was born in Winfield in 1923. His twin is Chester William (Bill).

Except for annual trips to family reunions at Gage Park in Topeka, or to Springfield, Colorado by Model T Ford, Joe's years prior to military service during World War II were con fined to Cowley County.

Recollections of early years include planting and digging potatoes, swimming on Dutch Creek, and an occasional unsuc cessful rabbit hunt during frequent visits to the Anderson fam ily form near Floral.

In Winfield, a Saturday treat was going to the Zim Theatre, later the Nile, to watch serial movies starring cowboys Buck Jones, Tom Mix and others. Admission was five cents. The

Children of William Ben and Carrie (Anderson) Thornton. About 1931.

Charles Joseph Thornton Family, from left: Roch, Joe, Jeff, Joel, and front: Helen & Nan, 1988. (continued on page 307)

Submitted by Helen Thornton
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 306.

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 307

(continued from page 306) hero's horse was always white and each episode ended with that hero and white horse diving from a cliff, in the unescapable path of a locomotive, or trapped in a burning barn.

Carrie Thornton baked bread daily, so for the Thornton children, "store" bread was considered a delicacy. There were no colas and chips for snacking, but only home baked cookies or bread, buttered and sprinkled with sugar.

When the twin boys needed new shoes, Carrie collared the nearest and walked him to the shoe store to be fitted, then purchased two pairs of shoes of identical size and style.

In Winfield, the family kept a milk cow and a pig in the suburbs, present site of the Evangelical Free Church on east High way 160. The pig, Gwendolyn, belonged to Joe's older brother, Wilbur, and was a 4-H project that ended in disillusionment when most of the first litter of piglets died. The boys competed for the opportunity to "do" the barnyard chores in order to drive the family car, a Hudson.

Junior High and High School years, the boys played basket ball at school, at the First Baptist Church, and in back yards. Square and Line dances were held in the high school gym. Lessons in ballroom dancing were offered at Thedo Grant's Studio, and practiced at Candyland. Bird's Drug Store was a second favorite hang-out. In summer, Joe worked as Life Guard and taught swimming at the City pool.

For the Thornton children, there were no visits to the dentist or optometrist, only sutures required a visit to the doctor because home remedies sufficed for most illnesses. Once the family was quarantined for more than a month. A yellow sign, "MUMPS" was posted on the front door.

Carrie attended Women's Christian Temperance Union meetings. No beer or other alcoholic beverage entered the Thornton home.

Joe attended freshman year of college at Southwestern, referred to at that time, as "Forty Acres of Christian Atmo sphere". Three years service in the United States Navy were spent on the Pacific Islands of Rio, Eniwetok, and Pittilu.

On April 9, 1949, Joe married Helen Carole Abt in Kansas City. Her parents were Ludwig and Jessie (Armstrong) Abt. Helen's home had been Moberly, Missouri, where her German born, Roman Catholic father routinely drank beer with evening meals and an entire bottle of wine at Sunday dinners!

Upon graduation from Kansas State University, Joe's first teaching and coaching job was at Phillipsburg, Kansas. Sons David, Joel and Charles Roch were born there in a room converted to maternity ward, at the doctor's office. Summers were spent in Moberly, thirty miles from the University of Missouri, when Joe obtained an advanced degree.

In 1953, Joe succeeded Ollie Thomas as basketball coach at Winfield High School. He taught biology. In 1954, the family spent four months in Puerto Rico where Joe coached a semi-pro basketball team, the Ponce Leones, to the Island Champion ship. Eventually Joe became Athletic Director at the High School and directed physical education for the school district. In 1965, he became the first full-time Superintendent of Recreation in Winfield.

A daughter, Musia Nanette (Nan), and a third son, William Jeffrey (Jeff) were born in Winfield in 1954 and 1956.

Helen was employed part-time as a clinical dietitian at Winfield State Hospital, in 1953 and 1954. She resumed employment there in 1958, and served as Director of Dietary Services, 1967 to 1986. Her first work experience occurred shortly after the Hospital fired its first handful of professionals. Resident census was 1500.

At the time, no job in the field of Dietetics could have presented more challenges, for the living conditions as well as the diet at the Hospital were incredibly substandard. Ill patients were restricted to bread and milk. Those unable to chew received no meat or meat substitute. Evening meals, always the same, were bread with syrup. Potatoes were peeled by patients, by hand, in the dirt floored, roach infested, partial basement of the Main Kitchen. Dogs and cats had only recently been banished from the cooking and serving areas. Patients did the cooking and washed the dishes by hand. One cook was employed to cook for employees, and when not so occupied, she satin a rocking chair in the kitchen. Patients who could, called "details", cared for the bedfast. They wore blue, Orphan Annie style dresses. One registered nurse per shift attended to all routine medical needs. Locked words held the unmanageable, where female as well as male patients wore denim dresses or nothing.

Now, in 1990, care and training of the handicapped and retarded has become an industry in which professionals and para-professionals out number their clients.

Submitted by Helen Thornton
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 307.

Back to the top.

William Bert & Carrie E. Thornton

William Bert Thornton and Carrie Ellen Anderson were married Dec. 1, 1909. They had eight children: Howard Albert (died while infant); Hazel Edna; Raymond Bert; Wilbur Lee (Willie); James Donald (Jim); Chester William (Bill); Charles Joseph (Joe); and Marilyn Jean.

William (Will) Thornton was born Jan. 26, 1884 in New Salem, Kansas. He was the son of William Edward Thornton and Lucy Anna Ayers Thornton. Will lived with his Aunt Jennie in Gordon, while he worked for an oilfield machine shop. After moving to Winfield, Will worked as a plumber. During the war, he worked at Boeing in Wichita. For a time, he also was custodian at the courthouse in Winfield. He did the maintenance on the clock in the old courthouse dome.

Carrie Ellen Anderson was born June 19, 1886 at Floral, Kansas. Carrie was the daughter of Joseph Gibson Anderson and Martha Jane Van0rsdol Anderson. Before marriage, while staying with her brother in Weatherford, OK., she rode a horse to teach piano in homes, sometimes staying over. Carrie was an active member of the First Baptist Church in Winfield. She also enjoyed quilting with friends.

The Thorntons spent considerable time on the Anderson farm north of Floral. Climbing the windmill and jumping in the haymow were popular pastimes. Land for the Sunnyside School at Floral was deeded June 11, 1947 to the Rural School District by J.H. Anderson and others for as long as the land was used for a school. Kenneth Workman bought the farm in the 1950's.

Their household was an active one. A favorite game of their children was tin can shinny, played in the street. The family usually had their own milk cow not far from town and plenty of homemade bread. When preparing chickens, they often would clean a large number and freeze them at the locker company in town. Meats, fruits, and vegetables were also canned in large quantity. Salmon soup was often served. Will and Carrie both died in Winfield; Will Sept. 20, 1952 and Carrie Dec. 1, 1959. Both are buried in Floral Cemetery.

Information on their children: Hazel was born Dec. 26, 1912 and later married Gordon Barnard. Gordon worked in oil fields, repaired autos and was a carpenter. They had two children: Gem Randal and Bobbie Jill. Hazel died July 1968 and is buried near Greentown, Indiana where they lived for years.

Raymond was born in 1918. He was an outdoorsman. He and friends would often take off with little equipment and camp along the countryside. During World War II, July 14, 1944, he was killed in the Battle of St. La, France. Before going to war, Raymond attended Ottowa University and worked at Lunsford Creamery, Winfield. He is buried Highland Cemetery.

Willie was born in 1919. He attended Southwestern College. During the war, he worked for Consolidated Aircraft in San Diego and in Texas. Willie worked for California Transportation where he later retired. He married Marjorie Emaline Nichols from Montana, in San Diego. They had two children, Dana Lee and Terry Jean.

Jim was born Sept. 1921. He attended Southwestern College and worked for the Winfield Police Dept. While in the Army, Jim was in Egypt. Jim married Wanda Brachear, an RN. They had two children: Gary Brent and Vicki Lynn. Jim was killed on duty, working for the Kansas Highway Patrol, Oct. 1973. Jim is buried at Highland Cemetery.

Bill and Joe are twins, born Dec. 10, 1923. The twins were very athletic. Bill graduated from Southwestern College and was in the Army. He married Jean Marie Doyle in 1953. Bill and Jean are retired; Bill from teaching at WHS and Jean from nursing.

Joe graduated from KSU after serving in the Navy and was a teacher until 1964. Joe has retired as Supt. of Recreation in Winfield. Joe and Helen Carol Abt were married in 1949. Helen is a registered dietitian and is retired. They have four children: David Joel, Charles Roch, Musia Nannette, and William Jeffrey.

Marilyn was born Sept. 1927. She worked at First National Bank after high school and married Aaron Burr Johnson Feb. 1951. They farmed at Route 5, Winfield. Both were Cowley County Commissioners: Aaron 1968-1975 and Marilyn 1975-1986. Aaron died July 1975 and is buried in Highland Cemetery. They had four children: Aaron Bruce, Raymond Clyde, Sarah Jean, and Daniel Thornton.

Submitted by Sarah Langenwalter
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 307.

Back to the top.

William Thornton Family

William Edward Thornton, Veteran of the Civil War and native of New York, came to Cowley County in 1878, at age forty-seven. With him came his new bride, Lucy Anna (Ayers), and two daughters from a previous marriage, Jennie Maud and Emma Jane, ages ten and seven.

The reason for his immigration to Kansas remains a mystery. He may have been responding to posters advertising the glories and opportunities of Kansas that proliferated in eastern states at the time or he may have been preceded by family or friends. His home had been Tioga County, largely agricultural, but where the courthouse boasted seven stories, steamboats

Submitted by
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 307.

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 308

(continued from page 308) -plied the Susquehanna, and academy enrolled more than three hundred-fifty students, and manufacturing included pianos, farm implements, beer, and horse drawn wagons.

The Thornton family may have settled first at Dexter, later moving to New Salem where they purchased property. They were baptized in the Methodist Church in 1882. Four children born at New Salem were: William Bert (Will), Lillian Mae, Chester Henry and Leona, their first child, born in 1881, who died the following year.

In Cowley County, William worked as a pruner and grafter of trees. This at a time when the cultivation of fruit trees was still new to the plains states and heavy pruning, to keep the fruit at picking height, was standard practice.

Suffering from the effects of gunshot wounds and lingering bouts of pleurisy experienced during three years of service with the Michigan Volunteer Infantry, he was in chronically poor health. Beginning in 1889, he was frequently hospitalized at the National Hospital and Military Home, Leavenworth, Kansas. At age sixty-seven, in 1897, he died at the hospital and is buried there at Wadsworth Military Cemetery.

Daughter Jennie Maud married Joseph Nelson Nichols of New Salem in 1885. Emma Jane returned to New York and married a Mr. Sherer, first name unknown.

Following the death of her husband, William's widow, Lucy moved from New Salem to Winfield, making a home with Mae and Chester. Mae married in 1901 and Chester in 1916. Eventually Lucy made her home with Mae and her husband, Hiram Dix, and with Will, whose wife was Carrie Ellen Anderson of Floral. Lucy died in 1923 at age seventy- four having served the needs of children, grandchildren, neighbors and friends. She is buried at Floral Cemetery. Her father, Allen Corson Ayres served in the Revolutionary War and following that worked as a laborer, always on the move, throughout New York. Her mother, Delilah Lee, was a granddaughter of Jeptha Lee of Beekman, Dutchess County, New York, who served with the Continental Army.

William Edward, a twin and one of nine children, was born in Oneida County, New York, May 1, 183 1. He was of swarthy complexion with dark hair and eyes. His father, Peleg and his mother, Almira, are both buried beside his first wife, Alena (Sevil) at Evergreen Cemetery, Berkshire, Tioga County, New York. Peleg's parents were James and Eunice, he from Vermont, prior to statehood, she from Rhode Island.

These settlers were literate but understandably disinclined to document events other than those typically found in family Bibles. Were it not for the descendants of this and hundreds of similar families that settled in Cowley, their forty-five year presence would go unnoticed. They made no spectacular contributions. They came here leaving mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters behind, never to be seen again. They made the best of an adventure.

Submitted by Helen A. Thornton
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 308.

Back to the top.

Robert J. Thorp and John B. Wise Families

A number of families came to Cowley County after the Civil War. In 1877, veteran Robert John Thorp, his wife Nancy (Turner) Thorp, and five children came by covered wagon from Decatur County, Indiana to the Udall area. Two more children were born there. By 1885 they had moved to Winfield. He worked as a stonemason. In later life he made brooms, delivering them by horse and buggy from his home on the block where Irving School is located.

In 1883 another veteran, John B. Wise, his wife Josephine (Webster) Wise and five children also came to Udall area from Iowa. He was a farmer.

On January 20, 1892 in Udall, Edmond Orange, son of John B. Wise, married Dora Alta, daughter of Robert J. Thorp. Edmond (E.O.) clerked for Hudson grocery (705 E. 7th), then had a popcorn stand on the corner of 9th and Main by the First National Bank (1908-09). Later the family operated candy kitchens, restaurants, and secondhand stores (1923-40) in several locations on Main Street.

E.O. and Dora became the parents of five children. The eldest, Paul, and wife Marie (Zeien) Wise, farmed and operated a restaurant at 112 E. 9th, then at 1009 S. Main (1912-36). A daughter, Ceo (Wise) Fikes, after a divorce, lived with her parents at 605 E. 7th and operated a beauty shop there. A daughter, Inez, died at age twenty-five, leaving a young son to be raised by her parents. Daughter Mildred taught school in the county for several years after graduating from Winfield High School in 1917. She married John S. Lawrence, Jr Another son, Herbert, operated a smokehouse-bowling alley attended Pittsburg State College and became a well-known coach and teacher at Waco, Texas.

Lucinda (McCleary) Thorp came to Winfield to live near her son, Robert, after the death of her husband in Indiana. She is buried in Tannehill Cemetery. Robert J. and Nancy Thorp, E.0 and Dora Wise and their daughter Inez and her son are all buried in Union Cemetery. John B. and Josephine Wise are buried in a cemetery near Udall.

Submitted by Patricia Chrisler
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 308.

Back to the top.

F.L. (Fern) & Arlene (Lawrenz) Thurman

F.L. (Fern) and Arlene (Lawrenz) Thurman moved to Winfield Sept. 1962, with their three children, Karen, Kathie, and Robert. Mr. Thurman was agent for the Frisco Railroad. They attended Trinity Lutheran Church and the children attended Trinity School, later Karen went to Winfield High and Robert to Whittier Elementary. In June 1965, the family moved to Arkansas City as Mr. Thurman was transferred with the railroad. He retired in May 1982 after forty-one years and Mr. and Mrs. Thurman still reside in Arkansas City. Mrs. Thurman was a secretary for Voila Industries retiring in 1987. Both are active members of Redeemer Lutheran Church.

F.L. Thurman, son of Roy and Edith (Lamunyon) Thurman, was born 7-1-22 at Caldwell, Ks, graduating from Latham High in 1940, went to work for Frisco Railroad in 1941, served in U.S. Navy during WW II, worked for railroad in Ok. married Arlene Lawrenz 12-5-48 at Christ Lutheran Church, Perry, Ok., moved to Blackwell, Ok. in 1949, to Southard, Ok. in 1955, and to Winfield, Ks. in 1962, to Arkansas City in 1965.

Arlene (Lawrenz) Thurman, daughter of Henry and Ella Morisee Lawrenz, born 1-13-27 at Sawyer, Ks., graduated from Isabel High in 1944, worked at Union National Bank, Wichita, and Boeing during years 1944-1948.

Karen Jean (Thurman) Goatley, born 11-25-49 at Blackwell, Ok., graduated Arkansas City High School in 1968, Cowley County College 1970, Southwestern College 1987. Married Gary Dean Goatley 8-15-69 at Redeemer Lutheran Church in Arkansas City, Ks. Has two daughters: Tamara Renee and Megan Diane. Teaches second grade at Roosevelt Elementary in Arkansas City. The family attends Redeemer Lutheran Church in Arkansas City.

Kathie Ilene Thurman, born 4-8-51 at Blackwell, Ok., graduated Arkansas City High School 1969, Cowley County Community College in 1971, Emporia State 1973. Teaches at Welborn Elementary in KCK district. Attends Hope Lutheran Church, Shawnee.

Robert Wayne Thurman, born 1-13-53 at Blackwell, Ok., graduated Arkansas City High School 1971, Cowley County Community College in 1973, and Wichita State in 1975. Robert is president of Credit Union of America in Wichita. He married Karen Smith, 6-18-77 at Central Assembly of God in Wichita. They have three children: Derek, Dustin, and Brittany. The family attends Ascension Lutheran Church.

Gary Dean Goatley, born B-2-48 at Wichita, Ks. Tamara Re'Nee Goatley, born 7-24-72 at Winfield, Ks., graduated Arkansas City High 1990. Megan Diane Goatley, born 3-22-77 at Winfield, Ks. Derek Tyler Thurman, born 9-23-84 at Wichita, Ks. Dustin Taylor Thurman, born 4-5-84 at Wichita, Ks. Brittany Nichole Thurman, born 8-2-89 at Wichita, Ks.

Submitted by Arlene Thurman
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 308.

Back to the top.

David T. Tonkinson & Family

David T. Tonkinson came to Cowley County from Springfield, Ohio, in the year 1881 and settled on a farm 7 miles northeast of Winfield in the New Salem Community.

David married Mary Zimmerman in Ohio, where children: Eva., Harley, Alonzo, Mary and Ella were born. Another child, Emma was born 4 years after their arrival in Kansas.

The family lived in the New Salem Community for 19 years, until they moved to Winfield due to poor health of David and Mary. Their children became active in civic affairs and were well respected.

Eva married Oliver P. Fuller, Jr. and they had 2 children. Oliver Fuller served as a District Judge for Cowley County for many years.

Harley married Anna Lawson and they had 5 children. Harley was elected District Court Clerk in 1909 and served only 2 months before dying of heart trouble.

Alonzo married Elizabeth Smith and they had 10 children. Alonzo (Lon) farmed in the New Salem Community for many years.

Mary died at age 5 in Springfield, Ohio before the family moved to Kansas.

Ella married Emra Brooks and they had 3 children. The family lived near Carmen, Oklahoma until 1913 when they returned to Winfield due to the ill health of Ella Brooks.

Emma married Samuel Hess and they had 3 children. They lived in Winfield for many years until the family moved to Colorado.

David T. Tonkinson died March 29, 1913 in Winfield and Mary Tonkinson died February 7, 1901 in Winfield. Both are buried in the Graham-Union Cemetery.

It should be pointed out that Mary's half-sister, Alice Zimmerman Ramsey, settled in the Kellogg Community and a half-brother, Milton Zimmerman settled in Ashland, Kansas. Also, a brother, Augustus, settled in Argonia, Kansas.

Ralph D. Biddle
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 308.

Back to the top.

Augustus & Louisa E. Shoup Trautwein

Augustus Trautwein (1851-1913) was born in Baldenheim Alsace, France. Parents were Ferdinand Trautwein (1819-1890) Baldenheim, Alsace, France, and Mary Wendling, Germany. (continued on page 309)

Submitted by Submitted by Louise Youle Wilson & Forrest J. Trautwein
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 308.

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 309

(continued from page 308) In 1852 Augustus, with his parents, left France and settled in Yorktown, Illinois. His mother died two years later. She's buried at Northfield Cemetery.

Augustus and his father then went to Whiteside County, Illinois. His father worked three or four years before meeting Anna Marie Reiley. She was a cook at the Geneseo House in Geneseo, Illinois. The "Cellar" as it is now known, is still in operation in 1990 and is one of the better known restaurants in the area.

Ferdinand and Anna Marie (1824-1906) were married in 1860. Augustus was nine years old. They had four children: George (b. 1861), Edward (1863-1955), Emma (1866-1945), Ferdinand Jr. (1868-1953). In 1868 Augustus was age 17. For 10-15 years he worked as a carpenter/builder.

On Jan. 4, 1883 Augustus, of Yorktown, married Louisa Emily Shoup (1861-1907) of Geneseo, Illinois. Louisa was born in Austintown, near Youngstown, Ohio and moved to Geneseo in 1866. A few weeks after their marriage, they moved to a farm near Udall, Kansas. In 1903 they moved to Mulvane for high school.

Later in 1883 Louisa's parents, Soloman Shoup (18231910) and Magdalene Riehle Shoup (182?-1888), moved to Sumner County, Kansas.

Children were, Edith (1888-1960) and Olive (1890-1970). For several years, Louisa had failing health. She died May 18, 1907, just as Edith was about to graduate from Mulvane High School. She's buried in Littleton Cemetery.

Augustus, with his two daughters, soon moved to Winfield for further education. He was a contractor/builder.

Edith and Olive attended Southwestern College. Olive received a degree in dramatics from Northwestern. She taught at Emporia State Teachers College. Edith kept house for her father. They now lived at 1501 E. 3rd. This house Augustus built, also the "Sellers" home at 1502 E. 3rd.

The first home in Winfield was 1001 E. 6th. Edith met the Youle family, Winifred, Kate, Emma, Earle and Preston, who were living at 1002 E. 7th. Edith and Earle became good friends, married Sept. 3, 1913 and lived at 1501 E. 3rd.

Augustus was in poor health for some time and several months before Edith's wedding, he decided to visit some friends in California for an extended time and take advantage of the climate for his health. He took some treatments from doctors. A few months after Edith and Earle were married, they received a telegram from California friends saying Augustus had disappeared. He never was found, but the doctors' offices were closed by authorities.

Edith and Earle's children are: Louise (1915- Robert (1917- 1979), Jean (1920-1984), and Martha (1923- )

Olive married Walter G. Moodie, Sr.; had no children. Walter had one son, Walter G. Jr. by the first marriage to Ethel Shoup.

Submitted by Louise Youle Wilson & Forrest J. Trautwein
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 309.

Back to the top.

Edward & Cora S. Peddecord Trautwein

Edward Carl Trautwein (1863-1955) was born to Ferdinand Trautwein (1819-1890) and Anna Marie Reiley (18241960) of Henry County, Illinois.

At age 20, Edward left home in Hooppole, Illinois, in 1883, because there wasn't enough work at the farm for 3 brothers. His older half-brother, Augustus Trautwein, with his newly wed wife (Louisa E. Shoup) already had moved to a farm near Udall, Kansas early in 1883.

Edward soon arrived in Kansas, too. He worked as a carpenter. Later he went to Denver, Colorado where he was foreman of a 12-man construction crew. Denver was developing into a major city. Edward prospered and liked to display his gold plated cane. However, he thought the West was wild and involved more risk than he cared to take. Also, he had saved little money. There were too many places to spend it.

Edward decided to return to Belle Plaine, Kansas where he had relatives. He soon met Cora Susanne Peddecord and they were married March 26, 1899. Edward rented a farm near Udall, Kansas, in Sumner County.

The farming venture was a success and shortly he was also president of the Bank of Commerce in Udall, Cowley County, Kansas.

Their children are: Ruth (1900-1978), who taught in rural schools; took care of her parents when they moved to Winfield in 1932; married Ed Morse of Largo, Florida in 1957.

Fern (1903-1982) taught in rural schools; married Ross Compton of Udall in 1926. They farmed 4 years in Kansas, then moved to Illinois to farm. They retired in Largo, Florida.

Forrest (1906- ) graduated from Kansas University in 1930; accepted a job with a utility company in Dixon, Illinois. He retired from Commonwealth Edison in 1966. He married Louise Brewster on March 29, 1934 in Clinton County, Iowa. They reside at 105 E. Boyd, Dixon, Illinois in the same house in which Louise was born.

Gerald (1908-1985) farmed the family farm in Cowley County. He married Amy Irene Radcliffe of Lawrence, Kansas on Feb. 23, 1932. Edward Radcliffe Trautwein (Randy) of R.R. 2 in Winfield is Gerald's son and Edward's grandson.

Submitted by Louise Youle Wilson and.Forrest J. Trautwein
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 309.

Back to the top.

Ferdinand Trautwein & Mary Wendling, Anna Marie Refley

Ferdinand Trautwein (1819-1890) was born in Boldenheim Alsace, France, to Jean George Trautwein (b. 1773 Bottingen, Baden, Germany) and Marie Salome Ott (b. 1782 in Baldenheim). She was a widow by the name of Frantz.

Ferdinand married Mary Wendling (b. unknown) in 1850. Augustus was born in 1851 in Baldenheim. near Strassburg, west of the Rhine River.

In 1852 Ferdinand, Mary and son, Augustus, left France to settle in Yorktown, Cook County, Illinois. Later they lived in Des Plaines. Mary died -about 2 years later; buried at Northfield Cemetery.

Ferdinand and his 3 year old son, Augustus, moved to Whiteside County, Illinois. After working there 3 or 4 years, Ferdinai-d met Anna Marie Reiley. She was cooking at the Geneseo House in Geneseo, Illinois. The "Cellar," as it is now known, is still in operation in 1990, and is one of the better known restaurants in the area.

Ferdinand and Anna Marie (1824-1906) were married Feb. 19, 1860. They farmed in Henry County, Illinois. Their four children are: George (b. 1861), Edward (b. 1863), Emma (b. 1866), and Ferdinand (b. 1868).

Anna Marie, with her parents, left Tubingen, Wurtemberg, Germany and came to Ohio in 1833; later to Illinois with her brothers.

George and Emma never married. Ferd owned his own telephone company in Morrison, Illinois. Augustus, the older brother, with his newly wed wife, Louisa Shoup, had moved to a farm near Udall, Kansas. Edward followed later in the year.

Submitted by Louise Youle Wilson and Forrest J. Trautwein
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 309.

Back to the top.

Trees Family

Among the earliest oil men in Kansas were the three Trees Brothers; Paul, Charles and Clyde, who with their families moved to Winfield in 1917 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. For Benedurn Trees Co. of Pittsburgh, PA.) and Trees Brothers Drilling Company. As such, they discovered some of the major oil fields in the area, including the Lewis, Hittle, and Deichman pools.

Clyde Trees and his wife Ruth were the parents of Clyde, Beverly, and Donald Paul.

Charles and his wife Margaret were the parents of Claudine (Trees) Baughman, Ramona Marcella (Trees) Talbot, and Lee Everett.

Paul and Edna (Reiter) Trees' children were: Lucy Edna and Paul Benedum. All of the family are deceased except Claudine Baughman (Ponca City) and Lucy Gentry (Mrs. Richard), who is still in Winfield.

The Trees Oil Company organized in 1924, still operates in Winfield and in Wichita, under the direction of Gayle Gentry Bishop, president and CEO, and daughter of Richard and Lucy (Trees) Gentry.

Submitted by Lucy (Trees) Gentry
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 309.

Back to the top.

Charles & Emeline Trent

Charles was born in 1902 near Charleston, MO. His parents were farmers. When Charles was 16, he left home. He worked on neighboring farms, then in Kansas wheat fields, then in Kansas City. He met students from William Jewell College and their influence and encouragement led him to enroll in the Academy. In Wellsville, Kansas he worked for the McGill family in their dairy for $9 a week and lived in their home. They encouraged him to finish high school and enter Ottawa University. An earnest student, he soon became a leader as he prepared for Christian service.

Emeline's mother's family moved from Chicago to Winfield in 1898. Her father, John Hoornbeck, located on a nearby farm. They were married Jan. 1, 1900. Emeline was born Jan. 3, 1902. Theirs was a dairy farm. Her mother raised pure-bred chickens, selling eggs for hatching, and baby ducks. Emeline attended a rural school and Winfield High School. She had decided on Christian service and after teaching two years in rural schools, she entered Ottawa University.

After graduating from college, Charles went to seminary in Rochester, N.Y. Emeline taught three years in Coffeyville, KS. We were married June 11, 1929. Our son attended his father's graduation when he was four weeks old. Charles was called to the First Baptist Church in Seattle as their first Director of Christian Education. There two daughters were born.

Then came the beginning of the Depression. After eight years a change in the pastorate ended our service there and we returned to Kansas jobless. We lived with my mother while Charles started selling "The Book of Life" door to door in the Winfield area, then in Oklahoma and Texas.

We were in Longview, Texas on Pearl Harbor Day. Charles volunteered as a chaplain. He was assigned to the First Cavalry Division reporting to Fort Bliss, El Paso, Texas. After a year of training, the Division went to Australia for amphibious training. The family returned to Winfield, bought a home, rented rooms to wives of cadets at Strother Field, the children in school, church and community service for the duration of the war.

Charles had his first combat experience in the Admiralty Island north of New Guinea where he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious achievement. During rest camp, the 5th Regiment built a large chapel of native materials. It was filled for all services. The Commanding General said, "The men are here because Chaplain Trent was with them out there." For the first days, he was the only chaplain available to attend the wounded and bury the dead, while under fire.

The Division moved on through the Leyte and Luzon campaigns in the Philippines. Charles returned home from Rest Camp on Luzon and was in Winfield when the First Cavalry Division led the victorious army into Tokyo.

He served as hospital chaplain at Fort Riley until his discharge from the Army. While there he continued contacts with the 5th Cavalry through a newsletter. Soon the Division asked him to edit a newspaper for the Division with correspondents from each unit. He continued this for 7 1/2 years. "Saber News" continues to be the official paper of the Division and continues supporting the fellowship in the annual reunions which he continued to attend.(continued on page 310)

Submitted by
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 309.

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 310

(continued from page 309) Upon discharge, we settled down in Winfield, after using his terminal leave for a family trip. His first employment was with the Kansas United Dry Forces for 1 1/2 years. Then he began work as Association Missionary for the Walnut Valley Association of American Baptists. Charles pastored a rural church near Augusta and I taught in a neighborhood school while the children were in high school and college. Our daughters married while we were there. During the four years, two new churches were formed and growth in both church and association led to full-time leadership in both.

The Tri-River and William Carey associations called Charles as their area minister and we moved to Topeka. The work involved encouraging pastors and churches by visitation, correspondence, travel, office work, training sessions, rallies and work projects. A camp ground near Leavenworth was purchased and developed and two new churches were started in Topeka.

After closing our work in Topeka, Charles and I volunteered for a year in VISTA. We trained in Denver and were sent to Franklin, Texas to work with senior citizens. In this bi-racial community, we found the greatest need was home repair and building. We worked on 25 houses, did visitation in homes, churches, hospitals and nursing homes, living in the community, improving race relations.

Returning to Topeka, we completed plans I or an 8-month long trip around the world, revisiting combat areas, spending four months exploring Australia, visiting missionaries in the Orient, on through Istanbul, Cairo, Athens, Rome, Madrid and Lisbon.

Moving back to Winfield we built our retirement home anon acre of the Hoornbeck estate, living in the basement while Charles finished building the house and we cleared and plant ed the land. In July we had a family reunion there.

In 1974 we made a three months tour of Africa. In Zaire we visited Baptist missions and spent three weeks visiting the Charles Moores in Milundu. Charles did wiring and installing of plumbing in a new house there. He also arranged to have seats and desks built for a school at one of the outstations.

We then visited Mbandaha, where Millard Fuller was beginning the house building program, Habitat for Humanity. We were involved with this program from the beginning. We also visited projects of Church World Service.

Previous travels took us to Europe in 1944, 1958 and 1964 when we visited the Iran Curtain countries. In 1976 we toured Alaska and in 1983 I went with my son to Hawaii.

In Winfield volunteer activities included WSH&TC, Meals on Wheels, AARP, CROP and a government sponsored weatherization program for Cowley County. We became involved through the Council of Churches in sponsoring refugees from Viet Nam in 1975, and after that refugees from Laos.

Charles died Feb. 1, 1980 and Emeline has continued to live in Winfield, currently residing at Cumbernauld Village.

Submitted by Emeline Trent
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 310.

Back to the top.

The Tribbeys

Howard Tribbey was born 11-17-1880 in Secor, Illinois and was raised by his grandmother. Bertha Wood was born 12-26-188 1 near Secor. She attended Illinois State Normal and taught school.

Howard and Bertha were married 5-21-1905. They moved from Illinois to Winfield, Kansas in December 1909. Three children were born to this union, two dying in infancy; and Merle, who was born 5-19-1911 west of Winfield.

For thirteen years they farmed. Then Mr. Tribbey became manager of the Kellogg Farmers Union Elevator, which position he held for twenty-three years, being held in the highest esteem.

They were members of the Church of Christ, being active members and Mr. Tribbey serving as an elder until his health failed.

Bertha was a member of the C.E.T. (Crochet, Embroidering, Tatting) Club, which a number of ladies in the Kellogg community enjoyed as long as their health permitted.

Howard Tribbey passed away, from a heart attack, 3-8- 1948 and Bertha 1-2 1-19 64. They are buried in the family plot in Highland Cemetery.

Leslie Merle Tribbey, son of Howard and Bertha Wood Tribbey, born 5-19-1911, west of Winfield five miles, spent his entire life in Cowley County. He graduated from high school in 1928 and attended Central Business College in Wichita.

September 8, 1935, Merle married Letha Yadon and they made their home at Kellogg thirty-five years, where he was employed by the Kellogg Farmers Coop for twenty-one years, serving as manager eight years. He was then self-employed in the floor sanding and refinishing business twenty-two years. He was custodian for the Oxford school district ten years and worked as part time custodian at South Vernon school west of Winfield nineteen years.

Merle was a member of the Church of Christ where he taught the 8th grade Bible class several years.

Merle had Alzheimer's disease and after a long illness, passed away December 5, 1987. He is buried in the family plot in Highland cemetery.

Letha Yadon, barn 9-7-1916 to Bill and Ola Ott Yadon. She attended country grade schools at Prairie Ridge (riding each day a very stubborn shetland pony, Dandy) and Rose Valley School. High school was attended at Burden and then Winfield. She worked with her husband in the floor refinishing business and was food server and custodian at South Vernon school for several years.

Merle and Letha lived at Kellogg thirty-five years and then moved to Winfield where they were living when Merle's health failed.

Letha has been a member of Rossetti Circle since 1947, having served as their president three terms. She is a charter member of Merrymakers club, a social club of the Kellogg vicinity, serving as their first president.

Letha is a member of the Winfield Church of Christ sixty- eight years and was a third grade Bible teacher thirty years.

Submitted by Letha Tribbey
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 310.

Back to the top.

H.T. Trice

H.T. Trice was born near Cameron, Missouri in 1836, remaining there until 1877. In 1880, he took a full course in law at the University of Missouri. In 1884, he moved to El Dorado, Kansas and shortly after, met Clara Morgan, whom he married in 1887 in Latham, Kansas. It was here, with less than $10.00, that he started a real estate and loon business which expanded so rapidly he decided to move to Winfield for even greater opportunities. To attract attention to the opening of his new real estate business, he found a large barrel, turned it upside down, filled the now solid top to the brim with pennies, and called out "Come see a barrel of money". If, while on a trip showing his prospective customers the advantages of living in Cowley County, a heckler annoyed him, he would slip him a little money and have him driven back to Winfield. He learned to talk very fast to keep the attention of his customers, to avoid any interruptions of his sales talk. Winfield held a "Trice Day" on May 23, 1900, and according to the Courier, carriages gathered in front of the St. James Hotel at 9 o'clock. They were filled with excursionists from Illinois and former customers from other states, who had located in Cowley county, forming a procession to Island Park that lasted until 10:30. Everyone returned to the Opera House where Mayor Albright gave a welcoming address, followed by a short program, after which the crowd adjourned for a banquet at the St. James Hotel.

H.T. and Clara Trice had one daughter, Ruth, who married Bertram Silver of Boston, on May 10, 1923. They moved to Indianapolis after their marriage.

H.T. Trice died in the middle 1930's.

Submitted by Helen Olmstead
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 310.

Back to the top.

Trobaugh Family

Henry and Lenora (Nora) (Easterly) Trobaugh came to Cowley County from Tennessee by way of Dennison, Texas. My father, Herbert C. Trobaugh was born in Dennison on September 16, 1886. They settled on a farm eight miles northeast of Dexter in March 1887. There were two other children born in Cowley County, Harrison (Harry) who passed away at the age of 26, and Ora L. who passed in 1972. Aunt Ora lived all

of her life in Cowley County. The Trobaughs were of Dutch ancestory.

Herbert C. Trobaugh married Bernice F, Williams in 1926. Bernice's parents were Squire and Rilla Williams. They were lifetime residents of Cowley County. Bernice was born in the Tisdale community and spent most of her life in Cowley County. She moved with her parents to Oklahoma for a short time.

Herbert and Bernice were farmers and ranchers and lived all of their married life on the farm that his parents had settled on in 1887. Herbert passed away in March of 1953 and Bernice passed away in December of 1986.

Herbert and Bernice had seven children, Ava Lenora Deets who lives in Burden and is an Office Assistant IV at the Winfield State Hospital and Training Center; Robert Henry, who passed away in infancy; Raymond Herbert lives in rural Bur den and is a farmer and rancher; Leslie Everett lives in Dexter and is employed in construction work; Dorothy Evelyn, who was killed in a car accident in April 1955; Ethel Louise Gates lives in rural Winfield and is a registered nurse at the Winfield State Hospital and Training Center; Kenneth Edward lives in rural Eufala, Oklahoma and is employed in construction work. There are ten grandchildren, all being born in Cowley County and only one lives outside of Cowley County. There are eleven great-grandchildren and only two live outside of Cowley County.

A brother of Henry Trobaugh, Oscar Trobaugh, did not settle in Cowley County. He and his family moved on northward and settled in Nebraska. He changed the spelling of Trobaugh name by changing it to Trobough.

Submitted by Ava Lenora (Trobaugh) Deets
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 310.

Back to the top.

Truesdell Family

Andrew J. Truesdell, his wife Sophonia and two children, Charles and Martha, came to Kansas in 1870 in a covered wagon from Minnesota, and settled in the Dexter community. They owned and operated a grocery cateycornered across the street from the Bank. When the Dalton boys came riding in on horseback to rob the bank, the family witnessed the robbery from their home above the store. The Dalton brothers were killed a few days later in Coffeyville during a fierce gun battle while attempting a robbery there. In 1893, Charles made the run into the Cherokee Strip, only to find the Sooners had already staked his claim.

About this same time David D. Hale, his wife Harriett, and their five children, William, Walter, Dixon, Margaret, and Bessie arrived in Winfield by train from Parkersburg, West Virginia. They stayed at the Brettun Hotel, then took the first train (Missouri-Pacific) to make the run into Dexter. They operated a general merchandise stare there for many years.

Charles Truesdell and Margaret Hale met in Dexter and were married there in 1888. They moved to Burden in 1898 where Mr. Truesdell was cashier of the Burden State Bank for aver fifty-three years.

The couple took an active part in all civic affairs and were devoted workers in the Methodist Church, Eastern Star, and Masonic Lodge. Mr. Truesdell held many civic offices includ ing that of mayor,

Submitted by
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 310.

Back to the top.

- 306 - 307 - 308 - 309 - 310 -

Back To Heritage Book Page INDEX

EMAIL Cowley County Coordinator
Karen Rodenbaugh ....Arkansas City, KS

Email corrections and submissions to Steve. I do have a spam blocker in place so you will get a messsage back and just reply to it and you r message will pass through to me!

State Coordinators
Tom & Carolyn Ward, Columbus, KS