Cowley County Heritage Book


- 226 - 227 - 228 - 229 - 230 -

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 226

(continued from page 225) Joel Lewis (1818-1901) was born in Wilson Co. Tennessee, Married Carolyn Hite. Joel is buried in Union Cemetery, Winfield, Kansas. Joel homesteaded in Kinmundy, Illinois; served there as Justice of Peace and worked in the Omega Post Office. Joel came to Kansas in the early 1870's and had 270 acres in the Silverdale Township. A son, Andrew Hite Lewis (1846-1914) brought his wife, Sophie Margaret (Welch) Lewis, sons: Joel Elroy, John Franklin, Charles Lee and daughter, Rachel Florence, from Illinois by covered wagon in 1878 to join his father. In a few years, Joel turned the land over to his son and moved to Winfield. There he worked for the Missouri Pacific Railroad.

Andrew got permission to put up prairie hay in Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. Summers, he took crews of men to work and bring this hay into Kansas to be sold to other ranchers and to feed his own herd.

In 1888, when my father, John Franklin Lewis, was about fourteen years old, a three day blizzard with heavy snow swept into southern Kansas in early October. Running with the wind and blinded by the snow, about half of the Lewis herd of Longhorn cattle were drowned and frozen in Grouse Creek when they plunged over the high bank into the water. Three days later, the storm let up enough for Andrew and his sons to search for the cattle. Only a few that had bunched up in the timber were found alive. Longhorns sticking up in the ice on Grouse Creek marked where the rest of the herd had perished.

Andrew, son, Elroy, and R.D. Warren staked claims in the Strip Race from Arkansas City. My father, John Franklin was too young to claim land so he drove the wagon load of supplies for the others.

Elroy and R. D. built a two room house astride the boundary of their adjoining claims. R. D., his wife, Rose Hathaway and baby daughter, Grace, lived on one side and Elroy on the other.

John Franklin married Jessie Ellen Johnson, daughter of the Josiah Johnson pioneer family of Maple City. The Lewis's farmed, later ran a general store in Otto where Frank established the first rural telephone exchange and kept the switchboard in the store; they moved to Silverdale and kept a store there until buying a farm in 1913, three miles south of Silverdale. Frank helped organize a Farmer's Union locally and he managed the Silverdale Grain Elevator there.

The Lewis children were: Lester, Lyle, Emily, Russell and Alma. Josiah Johnson brought his wife, Emily Angeline Mosier, daughter, Jessie Ellen, and son, Harley, by train from Vermilion County, Illinois in 1884 to Winfield, Kansas. The Johnsons bought land for their home just east of Maple City, Kansas. There they raised pure bred short horn cattle and trotting horses.

The Johnsons sold the Maple City property and moved to land in Rush County. After a few years there, they returned to Arkansas City. A daughter, Edna, and a son, Robert, were born in Cowley County.

Submitted by Alma Louise Grober
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 226.

Back to the top.

George II & Louisa Liermann

In 1931, George II and his wife celebrated their 50th Golden Wedding anniversary. They had a family get-together and George gave Title to their farm to his son, George (Bud) III and his wife Bertha. Title to their farm to his daughter Matilda (Tilly) and her husband, Newton Gann. Title to her farm to his daughter Magdalena (Maggie). Title to the Bakery-Buggie building to his son Lawrence and wife, Emily Beatrice, and his daughter Maude May. Title to the Building on 9th Street was retained. George II died 1938, Louisa died 1961 at age 101. They are buried in the Liermann family plot on the very center of the old Civil War Cemetery on North Michigan.

Submitted by L.L. Liermann
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 226.

Back to the top.

Lawrence Leonard Liermann Jr.

Lawrence Leonard Liermann, Jr. of 1516 Millington Street, Winfield, was born June 29, 1925. He married Selma M. Raasch February 17, 1978. 1 grew up in a neighborhood where eventually there would be six or seven families all living in the same house for over fifty years. I attended Lowell Grade School and Winfield High School, graduating class of St. Johns College, Winfield. Repaired shoes for my dad for two years, and in 1950, hired in at Boeing airplane Co. Wichita. I missed four lay-off's by about a week each time. After twenty years Boeing laid off 100,000 employees, Herb Hawk worked in the office, said just the paper work took two years. I was laid off and recalled nine months later but decided not to return (both of my parents had recently died) and I had inherited thefamily home. Cessna built small airplanes at Strother Field. After three years I got on there. On the day they reopened the CEO died and I worked under less than favorable conditions for twelve years. I spent twenty-four years building and modifying airplanes before I received $4.00 an hour. General Dynamics bought Cessna and I wound up as the only employee in bottom pay grade (105,000 employees). I declined to stay and retired before I could collect my pensions. Boeing, twenty years, $2.00 a day, and Cessna, twelve years, $6.00.

In 1978, I married Selma M. Raasch. In 1986, she had two strokes and remains partially paralyzed. A week after I retired 1987, I joined a group called Life/Science. We have twenty rules, but the most important is eat nothing cooked. After a three year struggle, I am at about 90% no cooked food. My grandmother lived to 101. I hope to live to be 135. For twenty years I have been teaching myself to write. To be a good writer, you must be a good listener.

Perhaps you would be interested in some of the tales told by the "old timers" in rest homes, hospitals, friendship meals, neighbors, and etc.

Submitted by L.L. Liermann Jr.
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 226.

Back to the top.

Lawrence Leonard Liermann Sr.

Lawrence was the second son of George II and Louisa Liermann. He was born November 20, 1895, died in September 1969. He married Emily Beatrice Fulcher April 15, 1922. For six generations the first son had been named George. Lawrence was the last of six children. Magdalena (1881) (Maggie), Matilda (Tilly), George III (Bud), Maude, Minnie and Lawrence (1895). When Lawrence was born, at home, the doctor told Louisa (age 45) that something had gone wrong. She had six months to live. Minnie, age three, died January 1895 from lack of breath disease. The other five children helped Louisa celebrate her 100th birthday.

Lawrence's Dad, George II married Louisa Cashin 1881, George II's brother Will Lierman married Louisa's (continued on page 227)

Submitted by L. L. Liermann Jr.
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 226.

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 227

(continued from page 226)sister, Nettie Cash, and both families lived next to each other for sixty years at Elizabeth and John Streets.

Since he was the baby, and the others had already finished grade school at Webster, when Lawrence started first grade (1901), he had to walk the entire one-half mile in the mud and snow alone. Lawrence got himself a cow route. He escorted the milk cows from Main and 12th Street, out to the day pasture east of Black Crook Creek (Charles Cloud on the north side and Gntebury Village south side). In the evening, he would open the gate. The herd had a pecking order with the lead "senior" milk cow leading the way west on 12th Street. Each cow knowing its own barn and would turn in to be milked. Lawrence loved to fish but he was born too late. With the discovery of oil the good fishing was gone. He remembered how it was inthe early days when "old man" Chase ran a thrashing crew. In those days Winfield had no bridge sough on the Walnut River. Broadway was the road into town. Just ford the river and come on to town. When they finally got a bridge, years later, it was built a one-half mile west. When it was too wet to thrash, "old man" Chase would get out his fish seine. It had a six foot fence post on one end. Usually "Oat" Lumbert, local Blacksmith, was chosen to hold anchor while the entire thrashing crew took fifty yards of seine out into the Walnut River and made several sweeps. People came miles with tubs, Lh pans, buckets, etc. to get fish and no one went away without any. At home (Elizabeth and Hackney) the outhouse was at the end of a long grape-vine covered tunnel where Lawrence could take a shower bath when it rained. Early in life, he developed a life-long love of hunting and fishing. Shells cost money so he sold rabbits to Pete Mitchler's Butcher shop. The rabbits too shot up to sell were skinned and left for the chickens. Later the Rabbit bones were run through a corn shelter, or bone grinder. The chickens fought for the bone meal. He grew up on squirrels, chickens, rabbits, ducks, prairie chickens, and Quail. He ate fish every way they could be cooked.

By age thirteen, (1908) he had finished the eighth grade, and his schooling. His dad was "land lord" over a dozen farms in Cowley County. Every two months the buggy was hitched to make rent rounds. The farthest farm was the Kadau farm, eight miles east of Atlanta on Grouse Creek. No stone arch b6dges, yet, north of Cambridge. It was necessary to ford Grouse Creek ten times (five going and five returning) Lawrence went along on many of these all day buggy trips. About 1911, Augustus Kadau decided to move to Winfield. Magdalena (Maggie, Lawrence's sister took over management of the farm). A. Kadau tried his hand at repairing shoes in the buggy building.

George II had his harness factory on 9th Street (now Herlocker, Roberts, and St. Peter Attorneys) but, in back across ie alley was a double building. In the east side Lawrence's sister, Maude, and her husband, Ross May, ran a bakery. The Dodge brothers built buggies until about 1911 when they went into the automobile business. George II used the west side of the building for a display room for twelve different types of buggies. Will Liermann, George II's brother, was to uncrate the buggies, assemble them - twelve different models - and move them in and out. Lawrence and his brother George III (Bud) and three sisters Matilda (Tihy), Maude, and Maggie occasionally took turns acting as sales clerks. If a sale was to be made, a door bell button in the back was pushed and Daddy would come across the alley and conclude the buggy sale. Lawrence worked for A. Kadau in his boot repair business for two years. In 1913 Kadau moved to a nearby farm. Lawrence, then eighteen, decided to go into business for himself. George II decided to retire. Wm. Newton (Hospital) retired and gave his harness business to his two employees. They got involved with a girl and thought it best to leave town, the "Newton" business sold at sheriffs' sale. Lawrence bought it, to the bare walls, and everything wound up in the old "buggy" building. The "old" White Lily cafe was just across the alley west. It had a sign in early days (1900's) beans f ive cents a bowl. It is better to go to bed hungry than to wake up in debt.

1913 was the year Twigg went crazy and shot into the trowd at 9th and Main. Some of the buckshot lodged in the lmnt of the 9th Street building and could be seen until the Law firm put on the modern front.

In 1916, Lawrence got aquainted with Freemont Houston, a third generation mountain man who had lost parts of several fingers to muzzle-loading shot guns. Freemont had made his living by shooting wild game for shipping back east to Chicago fancy restaurants. J. P. Baden shipped it by the barrel from his store at 8th and Main (now 800 Main Place). When J.P. Baden died Pete Mitchier continued buying "target shot" rabbits and squirrels. Lawrence got good money, fifteen cents for a dressed rabbit. Later in the 30's he even sold Red Grantham some crows and Red said they sold just fine.

For several years, Lawrence ran his harness and leather repair shop in the west side while sister, Maude and husband, ran the May Bakery in the east half. In 1918, Lawrence got drafted, so his dad, George II, came out of retirement to run the shop until March 1919 when his son was discharged from the Navy.

Probably the last victim of the "flu" epidemic of 1918 was Maude's husband, Ross May. He died in 1920. The May Bakery was sold to the Dentons, and moved. Frick-Reid oil well supplies moved in until Jones-Laughlin bought them out. Maude and ten year old daughter, Louise (Mrs Beryle Swanholt), moved back home.

Lawrence operated his harness shop until his marriage in 1922. That year Dean Robinson hired in as a shoe repairman. Dean's grandfather had owned the ground on the west side of tunnel mill dam, also the pecan grove south of the fair grounds. Dean Robinson married Vina Bookwalter in 1922. The name was now changed to Liermanns Harness and Shoe Repair on East 10th, Winfield. Dean Robinson's wife, Vina, had been three years old when the Bookwalter family moved to 1405 Manning in 1908. Dean moved in with his wife's folks, then both of her parents died and finally Dean passed away. Vina still lives at the home. Eighty-two years continuously living in the same home, perhaps a record for Winfield. Although Gertrude Hankins lived at 3 1 0 East I I th almost eighty years, and Louisa Liermann lived at Hackney and Elizabeth for eightyone years. Lawrence and Bea built a new home at 1516 Millington Street.

Down at the shop the cash register was built about 1910. There was no phone, not until 1961 when Alex, his son-in-law bought him out and modernized.

Lawrence joined the American Legion, Odd Fellows and Masonic Lodge, fifty year member of each. He worked six days, eight to five, and until eight Saturday night. and went hunting on Sundays. He did not attend church.

Freemont Houston and Lawrence loved to fish, so one year, he and Lawrence went fishing thirteen straight weeks and were rained out twelve of the thirteen times. At that time crows were a nuisance so a bounty was paid, they made enough to buy shells. Lawrence could sew leather using a waxed-end awl and two needles. He learned to use a "sailors Palm" working with canvass at an equipment depot in France in World War I. Lawrence could sew "rounds", no sharp leather edges, on bridles. His f iling system was a hook. One year, during the depression, his profit was the 2% discount for payment within ten days.

Fremont died about 1938, so Lawrence found a new hunting partner, Lou Beltz. Lou put out fifty wheat crops and only lost two. When his fifty-first was lost to flood, near Magnolia Ranch ten miles east of Hackney, he retired.

In the back of Lawrence's shop was a pot bellied stove. Several young high school boys would occasionally eat dinner there. It became a favorite spot for loafers. Occasionally a husband and wife would come to town, both go take care of business and meet at Liermann's stove before going back out to the farm. Lawrence knew most of the farmers within thirty miles and had a hundred offers to come out and hunt and fish. Gradually, the farmers died, the widows moved to town and "No Hunting" signs appeared.

Lou Beltz preferred hunting crows. You could build a blind and set on a shell box. Expenses could be made by collecting the bounty paid for crows. Now crows are an endangered species. Lou's favorite chair by the old pot-bellied stove, was an old wicker rocker. Eventually, his 250 pounds broke it down and the rockers were removed. This made it lower but Lou thought it was still comfortable. Lawrence began sawing off one-fourth inch on each leg and finally Lou was sitting six inches off the floor. He never did catch on.

Times were tough during the depression years. People would leave one shoe to be fixed and either go barefoot or borrow a cast off leather house slipper to wear while it was being fixed.

By 1933, there were four children at home. Nancy, Leonard (Sonny), Harry, and Rosemary. School kids went home at noon for dinner so Lawrence walked home and the whole family had dinner together. Lawrence noticed a tiny hedge tree near the alley between 1 1 th and 12th Street on the east side of Millington Street which was as thick as his wrist, in 1922, when he first started walking home at noon. Hedge trees grow slowly. Sixty-eight years later (1 990) it measures ten and one-half feet around at eye level and may well be the biggest hedge tree in town.

About 1933, the shoe repair shop moved to 1008 Main Street right across the street from the old Zimm Theater where Mr. Layton, next door neighbor, sold popcorn outside. Later this Zimm was replaced by Fox Cinema II.

The McConn sisters ran their bakery in the buggy-bakery building for a number of years. During World War II Ollie McConn was bookkeeper and paid cash, probably she never gave or took a receipt in her life.

George II, Lawrence's Dad, died in 1938, leaving Louisa a widow for twenty-three years. Maggie and Maude took care of their mother who lived her last ten years in a wheel chair. Maude was a widow fifty-one years.

Lawrence repaired miscellaneous items such as combine canvasses, dog muzzles, bee smokers, football uniform pads, while Dean Robinson repaired shoes, Ladies purses, zippers, parasols and you-name-it. Dean's wife , Vina, went to work for Barbour-Collison Abstract Co. Lucien had not yet been born. When she retired after fifty-six years, Lucien Barbour was her boss.

At the start of World War II, Lawrence ordered 150 sets of heavy team harness. He received five at $100.00 each. Harness was rationed. On the day WW II ended he received a shipment of 100 sets (ten thousand dollars). Not one set ever sold. To get rid of them, he made them into trunk handles, dog collars, and reins. His brother, (Bud) George III, left a used set of heavy team harness (used six times) hanging in the shop for six years. No one wanted any of them since they could get tractors.

For several years, truck after truckload of plow horses went by on Main Street towards the packing house at Arkansas City to be made into dog food.

Several people worked for Lawrence following WW II. Charles Chapman, age eighty, repaired shoes, and Floyd Feger, after he sold his shoe repair shop across the street. Leonard (Sonny), two years after college before going to Boeing Airplane Co. Upon the death of his mother, Louisa, in 1961, Lawrence at age sixty-six retired and sold his shop to his son-in-law, Alex Almassy and daughter Rosemary.

Lawrence had a victory garden during WW II and continued it until his death in 1969. His wife, Bea, also passed away in 1969. His son Leonard inherited the family home at 1516 Millington. Leonard married Selma Raasch.

Lawrence and Bea's daughter, Nancy Louise, married Wayne Priest. They have four children: Linda, Terry, Laura, Jeff.

Lawrence and Bea's son, Harry Dean, married Martha Jeanne Brant and they have three children: Craig, Janie, and Chris.

Lawrence and Bea's daughter, Rosemary, married Alex Almassy and they have two children, Maria and Julia.

Submitted by L. L. Liermann Jr.
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 227.

Back to the top.

Miles Bradley, Jr. & Mary Lee (Mayme) Sayre Light

Miles Bradley, Sr. and Sarah Light, both born in 1827, were united in marriage in 1855 at Smithboro, Tioga Couty, New York. That year they moved to Ogle County, Illinois. In 1863, M.B. enlisted in the Civil War and served as a second Lieutenant in the Ninty-second Regiment. Miles Bradley, Jr. was born at Oregon, Illinoise in 1893. Other siblings were Belle Mary (B1858-D1941), Nellie (B1865-D1938), harry J. (B1870-D1929). In 1872 the family came to Kansas, locating in Chautauqua County, near Seda. M.B.Sr was a lawyer and served his county as clerk, attorney, and probate judge. He died in
(continued on page 228)

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 228

(continued from page 227) 1897 and is buried in the Sedan Cemetery. His wife Sarah left Sedan and came to Winfield in 1900, and made her home with her daughter BeDe Light who started the first kindergarten in Winfield. Sarah was a devout Methodist and devoted her life to family, charitable and religious work. She died in 1920 Daughter Nellie Light Johnston was the mother of Beth and Evelyn Johnston and Jean Johnston Brown. Granddaughter Dorothy Ruth Brown Banks resided in Winfield. Son Harry came to Winfield in 1920 and joined his brother M.B., Jr. in the State Bank. Harry operated the Fidelity Trust Company. He died in 1929 following an appendectomy.

Miles Bradley Jr. married Mary Lee (Mayme) Sayre of Richmond, Missouri, daughter of Charles and Eliza Spear Sayre, in 1887 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. They moved from Sedan to Winfield in 1887. M.B. Jr. was associated with P.H. Albright and Company in the loans and insurance department. He was president of the State Bank for many years. He served on several boards, including Board of Trustees, Southwestern College, Winfield Public Library, and the Chautauqua Assembly. He was active in the Methodist Church and helped build the second church building. He was affiliated with the Masonic Lodge of which he held a 32nd degree, the IOOF, and Modern Woodmen. M.B. died in 1943 and is buried in Union Cemetery, Winfield. Mayme followed him in death in 1964 at the age of 97. She was a woman of great pioneering spirit. They had two children (Jack) Sayre, Sr. (B1900-D1990) and Blanchard Frances Light Simpson (BI896-DI990). Frances married Lusby Simpson in Paris in 1922. For many years they lived in White Plains, New York. After Lusby's death in 1954, Frances returned to Winfield and was a resident of Winfield Rest Haven. She died May 21, 1990. Son David teaches French at Loomis School, Windsor, Connecticut. Jack married Elizabeth Ann Stott (BI901-DI984), daughter of Sidney and Virginia Young Stott, in 1921. He was the owner of the Winfield Electric Company from 1923 to 1967 when he retired. Jack and Elizabeth had four children: Miles Bradley III (BI923-) married Kay Roberts in 1960. Daughter Melissa is a student at Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois. Bradley was an employee of the Winfield Electric Company from 1949-1987. He is semi-retired and working part-time for Herlocker, Roberts and St. Peter, where Kay practices law. John Sayre, Jr. (B1925-) married Donna Alley in 1947. John carried on the family business as owner of the Winfield Electric Company from 1967 to 1987 when he retired. They now live in Brownsviee, Texas. They have four sons. Steven of Winfield married Susan Jarvis. Douglas of Arkansas City married Kim Floyd and they have two children, Dana and Gordon. Lawrence (BI954-DI955). Tom of Wichita married Teri Hanson. Robert Sidney(BI927-) married Joanna Wills (D1986) in 1952. Bob had business interests in Carlsbad, New Mexico and is presently serving a third term in the New Mexico state legislature. Their three sons are Bradley of Carlsbad, Bobby of Santa Cruz, California, and Stanley of Dallas, Texas. Ann (B 1934-) married C. David Burns in 1956 and is living in New Orleans, Louisiana where David is president of the New Orleans Steamship Association. They have three children: Scott of Urbana, Illinois married Marcia Vorhes-two grandchildren Julia and David. David E. of New Orleans, and Elizabeth (Buffie) of Princeton, New Jersey married Richard McLaughlin in 1989.

Submitted by Brad Light
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 228.

Back to the top.

Harley & Esther Littell

The history of the Littell family in the United States dates to the early 1600's in New Jersey. Harley can trace his direct lineage to John Littell, born in Elizabeth, New Jersey in 1646.

Harley's great-great-great-great-grandfather Absolom Littell, Sr. had served with Clark in the capture of Vincennes, when the Northwest Territory was added to the possessions of the United States and the Mississippi River became the western boundary.

In recognition of the heroic service Clark was granted 150,000 acres of land in the Ohio valley. The Absalom LitteUs were among the first to make their new home in the Clark grant. In the summer of 1799 the family left Pittsburg on a raft of their own construction bound for the "far west." The family settled in Clark County, Indiana.

Harley and Esther Fair were married in Burns, Kansas on June 15, 1919. Harley had left for the army on May 28, 1918 from Bridgeport, Illinois. Esther had accompanied her family to Kansas on June 15, 1918.

The Littell's lived in Butler and Cowley Counties where Harley was employed by Mobile Oil Co. and its predecessors for 39 years when he retired in 1959. They were the parents of three daughters, three sons and a grandson whom they adopted when his mother, June, died in 1944.

Capt. James L. Littell enlisted in the National Guard in Arkansas City in 1940. He served in the Aleutians returning home to attend OCS. Later he trained for observation pilot and served in Europe in the Battle of the Bulge and later in Korea where he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and three oak-leaf clusters, the Bronze Star of Valor and twentytwo air medals. Littell Hall, a major facility at Fort Rucker, Alabama, was dedicated on November 15, 1968 to commemorate distinguished service to Army Aviation. Littell was married to the former Ilene Bolack. His son, Jeffrey Lynn resided in Greely, Colorado. He was killed in Louisiana on November 29, 1952.

Kenneth E. (Gone) enlisted in the Marines in 1942. He served on Guadalcanal, Betio, Siapan and Tinian. He married Ruth Dyer and they live in Burden. They are the parents of Everta McClain and James Alan and have three grandchildren.

Luetta (Littell) Thomas died in 1967 leaving four children: Thomas, Patti, Pamela and Mia. They all live in Virginia.

Harley, Jr. served for three years in the Navy. He was killed near Junction City in 1955 by a tractor-combine crossing the highway, without lights, after dark.

Capt. Roland E. Littell served twice in Vietnam. He trained at Fort Leonard Wood and then as a paratrooper. He was wounded and sent home. He attended communications school in New Jersey, returning to Vietnam for a year. He and his wife, Sharon, live in Tucson, Arizona.

Esther married Willis Brunton. They are the parents of three children: Larry, Lynnda and Frank and have three grandchildren.

All the children graduated from Burden High School.

Harley was a Master Mason and served as Master and, for nine years, as secretary in Clinton Lodge, Burden. Esther is a fifty year member of Burden Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, and a member of Winfield Assembly, No. 16, Social Order of Beauceant. They were members of the Burden United Methodist Church.

Harley, James, June and Harley Jr. are all buried in the Burden, Cemetery.

Submitted by Esther Littell
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 228.

Back to the top.

Vern D. & Lois (Carson)Livengood

Lois (Carson) Livengood was born in Winfield in 1918, the only child of Thomas 1. and Pearl Douglass Carson. The Carson family migrated from New York state and her paternal grandmother's family, the Footes who settled near Atlanta, Kansas, originally came from England.

The Douglass family had come form Mexico, Missouri, via Nebraska, in the early 1900's. They originally came from Scotland.

Tommie Carson rented the Bish Bakery on East 7th in the early 1920's and built his own bakery on West 9th in 1929. Lois says, "I went through Southwestern on sweet rolls" which her father sold to the college dining room. She was an honor student at WHS when she graduated in 1935 and again in 1339 when she received her degree from Southwestern.

The Livengood family came from Switzerland in 1750 and gradually migrated westward with a side trip into the Carolinas.

Vern's mother's parents came from Germany in the 1880's. He was born in Kinsley, Kansas, in 1915, the middle of seven children. He grew up on a farm near Kinsley, attended Garden City JUCO and came to Southwestern and received his degree in 1939. Lois and Vern met on the campus.

After finishing SC Vern attended graduate theological school at SMU in Dallas, Texas and Lois taught in the elementary school in Plains, Kansas, for two years. They were married in the United Brethren Church in Winfield in September, 1941, and served the Methodist Church in Burden for eleven months prior to Vern's entering the U.S. Army as a chaplain in WWII where he served for three and one-half years in the ETO.

After WWII, they served Methodist Churches in Lindsborg, Scott City, Wichita, Wellington, Concordia, Liberal, and Anthony before retiring in Winfield in May, 1980, after Vern had served forty-seven and one-half years and Lois thirty-nine years as a pastor's family. They have three children: Judy Gentry, who is a graduate of SC and lived in Winfield from 1961 until 1984; Steven; and Thomas.

Lois and Vern have continued to serve the church and community in different styles of ministry. Lois played the cello while in both WHS and SC and began again in the college and community orchestra in 1980. This involved her in the presentation of THE ELIJAH each spring and other concerts. Both she and Vern taught English as a second language to Laotians in the early years of their influx. She has served in several leadership roles at Grace UMC.

Vern took a Nurse's Aid Course at the local hospital and worked nights for a short period. He serves with Hospice when called in addition to the Red Cross board, the Kiwanis Club, the Sister Cities committee. He was on the Alumni Board of Southwestern and has served in several minor roles as well as president of the board. His primary role has been with Grace UMC where he has served as home visitor for ten years in addition to serving as interim pastor twice and filling various other roles.

Vern and Lois are pleased with their choice of Winfield for retirement. They appreciate the even flow of life, the influence of Southwestern College, the steady economy and the close proximity to Wichita if they want a metro experience. They enjoy the freedom of a town the size of Winfield.

Vern D. Livengood
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 228.

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 229

The Lockyear Family

Ulysses and Behe Lockyear came to Winfield in 1902 from Evansville, Indiana. They lived in a small house at 417 E. 7th St., while Ulysses, who was a carpenter, built the home place at 314 E. 7th. It was in this home that they raised six children. The children were Charles, Herbert, Edward (Friday), Roy, Edith, and Earl (Dick). The only grandchildren of Ulysses and Belle Lockyear that stayed in Winfield are Ernestine Desbien and Bill Lockyear, the children of Dick Lockyear and Edward (Friday, Jr.), who is the son of the late Edward (Friday, Sr.). The Lockyear's were all builders, mechanics or service oriented people. In the 1920's, Edward Jr. was born at 416 East 4th which is now the present home of his son Allen. This house was remodeled in 1928 and again in 1975.

In the early 30's, the Lockyears were the first to operate a taxirab service in Winfield. They were Roy, Earl (Dick) and Edward St. (Friday). They used three Austin cars to start this business. Edward Sr. sold a cow to buy one of the Austins. This business was located on East Eighth St., where Wheeler's Grocery is at the present time. The taxis were kept in good running order, as Earl was employed by Hedges Motor Co., which was located in what is now Wheeler's south parking lot.

Friday, Sr., who was well-known in Winfield, worked for 20 years at the Fair Grounds. In the 1930's and 1940's he and his wife, Hazel, operated a small grocery store.

Edward (Friday Jr.) has been employed for over 50 years at Pierce's and Galaxie in office machine equipment. His wife, Gladys, has taught in the Winfield area for 40 years. Their sons, Jimmie and Allen are both employed by Gott Rubbermaid.

The Lockyears have been involved in Winfield for the past 90 years, and the family plans to continue being a part of the future progress of this wonderful town.

Submitted by the Lockyear family
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 229.

Back to the top.

First Lieutenant Richard Malcolm Long

First Lieutenant Richard Malcolm Long lived in Cowley County, he attended the city schools, including Cowley County Community College. R.M., as he was commonly known, was the son of Roy M. and Elsie Long and had two sisters, Goldena and Wdletta. He married Louise Kemper, October 25, 1942.

R.M. enlisted in the United States Army December 4, 1939, He was accepted as an aviation cadet, December 11, 1942. Nine and one-half weeks, he was stationed at Strother Army Air Field, Cowley County, Class 43-J, in basic flying training of formation and night flying in the heavier, faster Vultee Valiants. He maintained the rank of Cadet Major, the highest rank given in air cadet training, in all of this training.

Long was in second place, with rating of excellent in Strother's physical fitness program for aviation cadets for combat The perfect score was 300 points, including 114 sit-ups in consecutive series without stopping, 24 pull-ups in a consecutive series and complete 300 yard shuttle run with 34 seconds Long's score was 234 points.

January 6, 1944, he received his pilots wings and commission of Second Lieutenant at Foster Field, Victoria, Texas Long supported marine ground troops on Iwo Jima flying 1 fighter plane missions, his 47th Army Air Force Squadron ha taken part in 36 days of fighting. The battle was one of th hardest of World War II. American casualties equalled the same as those lost in five years in the Vietnam War. He was then based on Iwo Jima and went on the first straffing missions to the Japanese Mainland. Lt. Long was declared killed in action, April 22, 1945.

The Air Medal, was posthumously awarded him with the following citation:

"For meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight. As a pilot of a P-51 fighter type aircraft Lieutenant Richard M. Long, while participating in a mission against the Japanese Empire accomplished the mission successfully, and with distinction above that normally expected. The mission involved a flight of more than 1500 miles over water where weather conditions were normally extremely poor, and where no intermediate bases existed. Despite the hazard of a very long over water flight in a single engine aircraft, the ever present danger of heavy anti-aircraft gunfire and automatic weapons fire, the mission was successfully completed and contributed materially toward the elimination of the Japanese Air Force. Lieutenant Long's display of high professional skill and courage reflects great credit upon himself and the Army Air Forces."

September 30, 1948, the remains of Lieutenant Long had been found in an isolated grave at Ogoyama, Noyori, Toyahama - Mura, Watarai - gren Miye - ken, Honshu, Japan, then reburied in the United States Armed Forces Cemetery Yokohama #I, Honshu, Japan, then moved to United States Armed Forces Mausoleum Yokohama #2, Honshu, Japan and final burial in The National Memoria, Cemetery of the Pacific, Honolulu #148.

Submitted by Louise K. Rahn
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 229.

Back to the top.

Lyle & Lela Loomis Family

The family of Lyle W. Loomis and Lela (Glantz) Loomis have resided in Winfield since 1946. Lyle W. Loomis was the second of four children born to Myrtle Carter and Maurice Loomis. The Loomis family came to Kansas from Ohio, and settled in Butler County, where they farmed near Augusta. Lyle came to Winfield in 1946, and worked as an attorney for the law firm of Roberts & Roberts, where he met Lela Glantz, who was then a secretary for that law firm.

The Isaac and Mollie Glantz family moved to Cowley County in 1936. Isaac farmed east of Udah and later ran a grocery store in Udall. The Glantz family had three daughters: Nadine, Lela and Catherine.

After working for the Roberts law firm for about three years, Lela worked for the Barbour-Collinson Abstract Company, and then First Federal Savings and Loan until May of 1952. Lyle left the Roberts law firm to open his own office in December, 1950. Lyle and Lela were married January 19, 1951, and had three sons: Larry, John, and Kirk. Lyle maintained his law office in the First National Bank Building from 1950 to 1985, when he retired. Lyle and Lela continue to live in Winfield.

Larry Loomis married Linda Hill in May 198 1. In September 1983, Linda Loomis moved her law practice into Lyle's office at the First National Bank Building. Larry and Linda have continued to keep that office open, since Lyle's retirement. They make their home in Winfield and have one son, Zachary.

John Loomis lives in Oklahoma City. Kirk Loomis married Cheryl Coker in June 1984. They have one son, Brandon, and their home is in Tulsa.

Submitted by Linda Loomis
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 229.

Back to the top.

The Looney's

The Looney's, John Lawrence, Gladys Maude, and daughter Juanita, moved to Cowley County in 1925. The Hull Oil Company of Tulsa, Ok. hired Lawrence as construction superintendent to build a gasoline plant. This Kansas Gasoline Plant, as it was named, was located in the Hull Oil field east of Winfield. The family lived in a house provided by the company near the plant.

Lawrence became operational superintendent of this plant where gasoline was refined from the gas from oil wells in the oil field. He was responsible for the construction of a loading rack to put gasoline into tank cars on the railroad siding located a few miles away. He supervised construction and operation of a small refining unit to produce gasoline for cars. A filling station (service station) was built by the company on Highway I 60 supervised by Lawrence- Oil and gasoline from the plant were marketed there under the name Hullcolene.

J.L., so called by the employees, designed a devise to reduce clogging effects of sulphur solidifying during the gas collection process. He patented this devise September 30, 1930, calling it Absorbent Oil Treater.

He was a member of Winfield Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, Elks Club, and Masonic Lodge.

In 1936, Sinclair Oil Company purchased the Hull Oil Company. The family moved to Winfield and Lawrence continued (continued on page 230)

Submitted by Rebecca Susan (Reynolds) Messall, granddaughter
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 229 .

Back to the top.

Cowley County Heritage Book Page 230

(continued from page 229) his interest in the oil business by engaging in oil well wildcatting in Cowley County. Later he worked for Skelley Oil Co., in Oklahoma and Texas.

Juanita was graduated from Winfield high school in 1934. She attended Southwestern one year, then transferred to Kansas State College of Agriculture and Applied Science at Manhattan, and was graduated in 1938 having majored in journalism. She was a member of Chi Omega sorority. She and John William Reynolds of Rural Route 3, Winfield, were married July 24, 1938, at the First Baptist Church in Winfield.

Gladys and Lawrence were living in Wichita when Pearl Harbor was bombed, Gladys, then an agent for State Farm Insurance Company, won a national award, in 1943, having written more business for the company than any other of their female agents in the United States and Canada, During World War 11 Lawrence was a member of the Industrial Guard unit, and Gladys was in the auxiliary unit, formed to prepare for possible attack on the war plant (Cessna).

After twenty-five years in Wichita, they returned to Winfield. They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on August 20, 1963, at the farm home of John and Juanita Reynolds. Gladys was a founder of the Arkansas City White Shrine of Jerusalem, and also was active in Social Order of the Beauceant, Eastern Star, Amaranth, and was a mother advisor for Rainbow Girls in Wichita. Lawrence died in 1967, and Gladys died in 1986. They are buried in Highland cemetery at Winfield.

Submitted by Rebecca Susan (Reynolds) Messall, granddaughter
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 230.

Back to the top.

Grace Keesey Lumbert Family

I am the granddaughter of two pioneer families of Cowley County. My grandfather, Francis Marion (Frank) Higginbottom, and my grandmother, Minerva May Higginbottom, came from Tower Hill, Illinois to Cowley County in 1872 with their family of four children, Eliza-Ann, John, Levi, and Mary Ellen (my mother) who was then three months old. Frank Higginbottom's mother and Sam Blakey, a nephew of Minerva, and raised by the Higginbottoms, also came with them. They came in two covered wagons. Sam was 15 and drove a team to one wagon. They settled on land three miles west of what later became Burden, Kansas.

My grandfather, Walter Keesey, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio in December 1840. In January 1862, he was an Illinois Volunteer to the Civil War, where he served until August 1865, when he was honorably discharged at Chicago, Illinois. After the war he came west and settled near Lane, Kansas where he married Nancy Melvina Wens. My father, Thomas Albert (Al) Keesey, was born there in 1869. In 1875 they moved to Cowley County and bought 80 acres of land 1/4 mile west of what later became the town of New Salem. Al Keesey's first school was north of where New Salem now is, and they went a mile east to the Post Office.

In September 1894, T.A. Keesey and Miss Mary Higginbottom were united in marriage at New Salem, Kansas by C.P. Graham, pastor of the Presbyterian Church. My father was living on land just west of the original Keesey 80, and after their marriage they lived their entire lives on this place. They had two children, Aubrey Glen and Grace Lucille.

As I grew up, I was told how the railroad came through this part of Cowley County. Both Aubrey and I grew up close to where it was built. My mother would tell of how it came from the east, and as the men would lay the rails, the work train that followed would go a little farther each day. Another thing my mother remembered was she had a baby sister that year. Her mother bought her a rocking chair to rock the baby, Ida Jane Higginbottom Nimrod, while the mother cooked for the men as they went by the Higginbottom place and then on west. My father would tell how he drove a team to help smooth the ground where the rails were put. That was in 1879 and in 1880 the town of New Salem was organized.

As I remember back, we had in New Salem a bank, two general merchandise stores, where you could buy almost anything. We had two churches; Presbyterian and Methodist; cafe, post office, two-story school house, barber shop, hotel, blacksmith shop, saw mill, livery barn (later a garage), an elevator, depot, and stock yards.

In January 1932 I married Roy Lumbert, who was born in Mt. Hope, KS and moved to Cowley County at age ten. We established our home just south of New Salem where I still live. Roy passed away September, 1965. We have one daughter, Allene Maryann, who married Richard Vaughters. I have three grandchildren, Kevin Vaughters, Teresa (Susie) Vaughters Blasi, and David Vaughters. I also have three great-grandchildren, Chantel Leann and Derek Bliss Vaughters, and Bronson Richard Blasi.

Submitted by Grace Keesey Lumbert
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 230.

Back to the top.

The Mackey Family

William Mackey was born in Scotland in 1700. He immigrated to Ireland and married. They came to America in 1730. His son, Joseph, was an officer of the New Jersey Militia and served during the Revolutionary War.

In the early 1800's some of the Mackeys moved to Ohio where John Wesley was born in 1843. He served in the Ohio Infantry during the Civil War. He and his wife moved to Kansas and purchased a farm in Sheridan Township in 1883. This farm has been the home of five generations of Mackeys and the birthplace of Amsey Mackey in 1886, Henry in 1914, Richard in 1936, and Richard's children Chris, Nancy, Brent and Steve.

Henry married Maxine Shiflet in 1935. They live in Burden, where they purchased 100 acres in 1946. Besides their son Richard, they have a daughter, Janine, who is married to Wayne Robinson. They live in Houston, Texas and have three children, Dana, Kurt, and Renee.

Richard and his wife, the former Wanda Bair, were married in 1956 and live on the home place and raise wheat, milo, sheep and cattle. Their son, Chris, also farms and teaches school.

The Mackeys have been actively engaged in farming for over 100 years.

Submitted by Mrs. Henry Mackey
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 230.

Back to the top.

Adolph Magnuson

Adolph Magnuson arrived in the United States in 1866 with only 10 cents in his pocket. He bought what he thought were apples but they were tomatoes, he could not eat them. He drove his horse and buggy in 19 1 0 from Lindsborg, Kansas to Rock, Kansas to purchase an 880-acre ranch, for cash, The house had been used for a stagecoach stop. A spring under the house had a cement trough to cool milk and butter. This home reminded him of his home in Sweden.

Adolph and his wife, Wilhelmina (Peterson) along with six of their eight children; Alex, Fred, Reuben, Herbert, Oscar and Albert moved to the ranch 2 1/2 miles east of Rock. The children attended Green Valley School, the family attended the Rock Methodist Church.

The family loved their new home and did well in Cowley County. In 1923 an oil well was drilled on the Magnuson Ranch. It was an offset well from the first well drilled on the Newton farm, owned by the William Newton family, The oil proceeds from the Newton well went to help build William Newton Hospital.

Descendants of Adolph and Wilhelmina were as follows: Fred married Dessa Smith, she was the telephone operator for Rock for 20 years. They had three children; Elvera, Kenneth, and Albert; Reuben married Minnie Sawyer, for many years they ran a grocery store in New Salem. They had three children; Dorothy, Margaret, and Frances; Herbert married Irma Scott and they had four children; Gertrude, Herbert, Gladys, and Mildred, Oscar married Ida Esping, they had eight children; Adolph, Arthur, Lloyd, Karl, Cameron, Ira, Leo, and Julius.

Submitted by Karl Magnusson
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 230.

Back to the top.

Oscar Magnuson

Oscar and Ida Magnuson lived in Cowley county off and on for all of their married life. Oscar made a living from farming (continued on page 231)

Submitted by Karl Magnusson
Scanned out of the Cowley County Heritage book, Page 230.

Back to the top.

- 226 - 227 - 228 - 229 - 230 -

Back To Heritage Book Page INDEX

EMAIL Cowley County Coordinator
Karen Rodenbaugh ....Arkansas City, KS

Email corrections and submissions to Steve. I do have a spam blocker in place so you will get a messsage back and just reply to it and you r message will pass through to me!

State Coordinators
Tom & Carolyn Ward, Columbus, KS