WILLIAM HENRY CONNER GRAVESTONE PHOTO
The Blue Mound Sun, Friday, May 5, 1911,
William Henry Conner was born
February 2, 1837 near Ada, Hardin county, Ohio. On the home farm he grew
to manhood. He was united in marriage December 20, 1858, with Amanda F.
Wetherill with whom he lived until September 4, 1909, when they were separated
by the death of Mrs. Conner.
He was converted and joined the
Methodist Episcopal church in January 1860 at Maysville, Ohio. About the
month of October, 1861, he enlisted in the service of his country and was
assigned to Co. B, 45th Ohio volunteer infantry. He served until the close
of the war and was discharged in May 1865. He lived on a farm in Ohio
until February 1880, when the family moved to Johnson county, Mo.,, and remained
there four years. In April 1884 he came to Linn county, Kansas, and for a
number of years lived on a farm near Blue Mound. Fort the last ten years
he has lived in Blue Mound. At six o’clock the morning of May first,
1911 he departed this life. He leaves two sons and one daughter, seven
grandchildren and three great grandchildren. Of a family of twelve
children only one brother and one sister remain.
Funeral services were held at the
Methodist church, conducted by Rev. Wesley Emerson, of Ottawa, assisted by the
pastor, M. R. Molesworth. A number of old soldiers were present.
After the Masonic ritual service at the grave the body was laid to rest beside
the wife of his youth and years one son in the beautiful cemetery of Blue Mound.
But one expression is heard from
the people of his large acquaintances, and that is, a good man has gone.