JOHN C. RANKIN
The Peoples Herald, Thursday, June 22,
1916, Pg. 1
Vol. 28, No. 4
JOHN C. RANKIN DIED
SATURDAY, JUNE 17TH
John C. Rankin was born in Ripley,
Ohio, May 4, 1846. He attended school until he was sixteen years of age.
In 1862 he enlisted in Co. E, 7th Ohio cavalry. He did service in pursuit
of Morgan and Basil Duke. He participated in the Knoxville fight under
Gen. Burnsides, then joined the army of the Cumberland at Chattanooga. He
was in the Atlanta campaign and came to Nashville with Gen. Thomasí army.
He was with Wilsonís cavalry at Eastport, Miss. raided across Alabama to
Macon, Ga., returned to Nashville and was mustered out in 1865, having served
his country for three years.
In December after he was mustered
out, he came to Kansas, locating at Lawrence where he attended the state
university for one year. He remained in Lawrence until 1869 when he came
to Osage county, locating at Quenemo, where he engaged in mercantile business
and in farming four miles west of there. Quenemo continued the center of
his activities until his death.
He was elected Co. Treasurer in
1879 and re-elected in 1882. In 1889 he was elected to the state senate,
serving four years.
He was married at Emporia, Jan. 5,
1871 to Mrs. Mary E. Carpenter who survives him. Besides his wife there
remain to mourn his departure two sisters, Mrs. B. R. Cleveland and Mrs. Mary F.
Nixon, both of Cincinnati, Ohio, Mrs. Martha Morris of Reading, Kas., a daughter
by adoption, Miss Lillie Rankin of Spirit Lake, Ind., J. T. Rankin of Quenemo,
cousins and many other more distant relatives and a host of very intimate
friends. The sisters were present to minister and to comfort during much
of the fatal illness of their brother.
Mr. Rankin identified himself with
the Presbyterian church of Quenemo in 1874 of which church he continued an
earnest, active and faithful member, serving in the capacity of ruling elder for
twenty-seven years. He was transferred to the church triumphant and
entered upon his reward Saturday morning, June 17, 1916, at the age of 70 years,
1 month and 13 days.
He is not dead, just passed on
Truly he was a great man, great in
his heart life, great in his tenderness and care for every person or living
thing in his reach, great in his loyalty, love and devotion, great in his
friendship, great in his interest in and effort for the best things in life for
himself, and for his community.
So far as his active life in
Quenemo is concerned our beloved brother, friend and comrade is gone, his life
is ended; but there are very many whose life has touched in various ways who
will rise up and call him blessed. His work and influence will long be
remembered and be fruitful of much good.
The funeral services were held on
Monday, afternoon from the Presbyterian church. Heavy rain had fallen.
The roads were in bad condition preventing the attendance of many from all parts
of the county, but the church was packed to its utmost capacity. The
members of the local post, G. A. R. attended the services in a body together
with a large number of visiting members. The tribute of silence and
falling tear told something of the place their fallen comrade held in their
counsels and their hearts.
The service was conducted by the
pastor, Rev. J. K. Miller, assisted by Dr. W. C. Templeton, pastor of the first
Presbyterian church of Emporia who served the Presbyterian church in Quenemo as
pastor about twenty-five years ago.
The floral tributes were very
beautiful and abundant. The crowded house and the magnificent array of
flowers were eloquent in their expression of the high esteem oin which our
departed brother was held and also of the deep sympathy and respect for the
bereaved wife and sisters and other relatives.
The remains were laid to rest in Oak Hill cemetery.