CHARLES FRANKLIN WILSON GRAVESTONE PHOTO
Capt. Charles Franklin Wilson
Died at his home near Moline, Kansas, August 23, 1906; aged 74 years and 7 months.
He was born in Monroe county Southeastern Tennessee, January 23, 1832, where he grew to manhood.
In 1861, Frank controlled by the sentiment most popular in that section, volunteered in the Confederate Infantry. He was soon given command of a company which he led in the vicissitudes of four years of active service. He was through twenty seven battles; not counting skirmishes. At the battle of Fisher’s Hill he was severly wounded in the thigh. After this he was furnished a horse which he rode at the close of the rebellion.
Frank carried and read a pocket Bible during his entire four years of military service. It is now preserved. He openly professed Christianity in early life, but by becoming careless and indifferent he lost the sweet experience he had enjoyed. Such living did not satisfy him.
His first marriage was with Miss Euphemy Jane McClung, December 19, 1871. She lived but five years.
December 25, 1877, he married Miss Hasetline Adelia Carlock, whom died about eight months ago. To the first union were born two children, J. L. Wilson and Nancy Jane, now Mrs. Alden Brace. To this second union were given five. The two eldest girls Ella and Ona, married brothers of the Bartholemew family, of Grenola, Kan., who are conducting a hardware and implement business at Glencoe Okla. Charlie, Katie and Alice are left upon the grand old homestead lonely but resolute.
About twenty years ago at a revival meeting held in his own neighborhood in Kansas, Brother Wilson renewed his consecration to Christ; was fully reclaimed and united with the M. E. Church, South, at Star. Of this church he remained a faithful and conservative member until released by death. He was sick but three weeks. It was severe and wasting, but loving children and other relatives ministered tenderly to every need.
Divine grace proved sufficient. Brother Wilson passed away fully resigned. His was a complete victory over his last enemy. Often the word “glory” was upon his lips, and an expressed desire to go to the home above.
The common expression is, “a noble citizen has gone from us.”
The funeral was on August 24, at 2 p. m. The service was conducted by Rev. W. C. Goodwin, assisted by Rev. J. R. Hankins.
An immense procession attended the hearse to the Moline Cemetery where the body was tenderly laid to rest until the resurrection of the just.
Contributed by his Great-grandson:
Charley Wilson, Commander
South Kansas Camp No. 2064
Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV)