Click here for Sharon Cemetery Photo's and information. (Contributed by Toni Graven)
is located one and one-fourth miles south of Sharon, in NENE 29-32-10. E.N. Lucy
Clark gave four acres of their original 160 acres to the Sharon Cemetery Association,
October 10, 1885. According to Albert Pelton, who came to the Sharon community
in 1880, Mrs. William A. Peck was the first buried in the cemetery. The Pecks
had homesteaded the land, later selling to William Rule, who sold to the Clarks.
There is no marker on her grave. The oldest stone in the cemetery is marked Harry
Mulkey, 1877-1880. It is assumed he was the son of Rev. A.H. Mulkey, who helped
found the Christian Disciple Colony in Medicine Lodge and Sharon in 1878 and 1879.
Iron entrance gates at this cemetery as well as the St. Boniface Catholic cemetery
were given in memory of Ralph Owen, a local banker.
(Information from pages 28-29 of Chosen
Land - A History of Barber County, Kansas ©1980)
(Photo contributed by: Ed Rucker.)
©2004 For The KSGenWeb Project