Mumford Cemetery
Mumford is a small rural cemetery located on Ridge Road North of Sharon. The Cemetery is approximately four miles west of Tri-City Road and is located on the black top. The oldest visible stone is shown on the right from 1884. Click on the image to see the inscription. The Cemetery is still very active and well-kept.

James Louthan sold one-fouth acre of land for $20.00 for a cemetery. Materials purchased were: 40 rods woven wire, 54¢ a rd. $21.70; 1 gate 48x10 ft $4.45; 5 hanks 5 lbs. brace wire @ 22¢; 1 spool galvanized barber wire wire for $3.65; staples, 25¢; spike nails, 15¢; 28 line posts at 25¢ - $7.00; 5 corner posts @ 50¢ - $2.50; 9-12 ft. brace posts @ 70¢; 500 bricks for $6.00; storage on wire at depot, 50¢. The expenses of the cemetery were paid by free-will contributions of the people in the community, work was done by men of the community with meals being prepared by the ladies.
(Information from page 24 of Chosen Land - A History of Barber County, Kansas ©1980)

Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project
Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
© 2002 Ed Rucker for KSGen Web Project