Lodi Cemetery
Lodi Cemetery, in Union Chapel Community, is possibly the oldest of the three still-maintained country cemeteries. Atop a high and rounded hill, Lodi encompasses about seventy-five graves. The first recorded burial was early in 1878, an infant son. Thirty-three of those buried here are children under six. Only a few graves are unmarked, the majority having large and ornate headstones. Sentimental inscriptions and small animal figurines adorn many of the tall stones. The cemetery was deeded to Eagle Township November 26, 1904, by Zaphar P. and Elizabeth Ball: "a plot of land in Section 28, Township 33, Range 13, 16 rods and 19 links by 12 rods and 82 links, for a consideration of $5.00." It is still maintained by Eagle Township, and the American Flag is flown there each Memorial Day. Purple and yellow iris are scattered among the graves and two old, wind-shapen native cedars stand guard atop the hill. There was also a Lodi settlement. The cedar log post-office building as of 1980 was part of a hay shed on the Elmer Holmes-Evelyn Wolkins land.
(Information from pages 28-29 of Chosen Land - A History of Barber County, Kansas ©1980)


Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project
Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
© 2002 Ed Rucker for KSGen Web Project