Liberty Cemetery
Liberty Cemetery is the largest of the urban cemeteries, with more than one hundred graves, and has the most recent burials. This cemetery is located seven miles south of Medicine Lodge on Highway 281, then one mile east and three-quarter mile south. The first recorded burial in Liberty Cemetery was May 1878, a sixty-seven year old woman. Although known by three names through the years (Newkirk, Gerlane and New Liberty), the cemetery was officially designated as Liberty Cemetery on the quit claim deed given July 24, 1899, by Charles D. and Docia H. Newkirk. Legal description of Liberty Cemetery is NE corner of SE1/4 31-33-11 . The majority of rural cemeteries were never deeded out and remain private, untended and almost forgotten burial places. Names ascribed to them were derived from the land owner or families buried therein.
(Information from pages 28-29 of Chosen Land - A History of Barber County, Kansas ©1980)

Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project
Home Page for the
Kansas State Library
© 2002 Ed Rucker for KSGen Web Project