Lake City Cemetery
Lake City Cemetery is located SW1/4SE1/4 10-31-14, west of Lake City. Mary H.
and Reuben Lake donated the original land in the 1880's. A first addition was
given in 1883 by A.J. Hargis and a second addition was purchased in 1959 from
Bert Nittler. Oldest available records indicate a Ladies Aid Lake City Cemetery
Association was organized August 12, 1909. Members were Judge Lester, chairman;
Mrs. Dave Freemyer, secretary; Mrs. Sarah Pierce and Mrs. Irena B. Gordon, Lake
City; Miss Nancy Harmon, Sun City; Mrs. Artha Massey, Turkey Creek; Mrs. Hannah
Nurse, Forrest City; Mrs. Annie Stewart, Deerhead. Reorganization occurred March
25, 1941 .Members of the first Lake City Cemetery District 4 board were Dave Freemyer,
chairman; R.B. Lake, secretary; Fred Carr, Deerhead; Clem Parr, Mingona; Mrs.
Nute Martin, Forrest City; Mrs. Art Farr, Lake City. The first burial was October
1873, Miss Liz Foster. A Mr. Ewing was also buried in October 1873.
(Information from pages 28-29 of Chosen
Land - A History of Barber County, Kansas ©1980)
© 2002 Ed Rucker for KSGen Web Project