Hardtner Cemetery


Hardtner Cemetery
entrance gate
 
 
 

Hardtner Memorial
 
 
 
 

Hardtner Memorial
statue
 
 
 


Hardtner Memorial
side view
 
 
 

Hardtner Memorial
list of names
 
 
 

Hardtner Memorial
dedication
 
 
 

Hardtner Cemetery is located in the E1/2SW1/4 5-35-12. The first land was given in 1912 by Mr. and Mrs. Ira Blackstock; she was the daughter of Dr. Hardtner. Four land additions have been made to the cemetery. Mrs. Thomas (Adeline) Weller was the first burial May 1912. From 1912-1920, the cemetery was just a fenced in piece of pasture land. In 1920, nineteen people met and organized the Hardtner Cemetery Association. Each member paid an assessment of $1.00. Officers elected were Charles Hickle, president; Mrs. Lee Butcher, secretary; Mrs. Bessie Allen, treasurer. Labor to clean, mow and set out trees was donated. Past presidents of the Hardtner Cemetery Association were: Charles Hickle, 1920-1932; Elmer Hickle, 1932-1940; Wilbur Sheddy, 1940-1970; Charles Rathgeber, 1970-1975; Kenneth Wolgamott, 1975 . Maintenance of the cemetery is a source of community interest, pride and involvement.

(Information from pages 28-29 of Chosen Land - A History of Barber County, Kansas ©1980)
(Photos contributed by: Ed Rucker.)



Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project


Last Updated:

Return to Barber County Home page


©2004 For The KSGenWeb Project