JOHN C. TAYLOR. - Among the various lines of enterprise which contribute materially to the attractiveness of a city, that of contracting and building takes first place. Substantial, well constructed buildings are an ornament on any street and hence an architect and contractor may be regarded as a public benefactor. John C. Taylor, who is a prominent citizen in Kansas City, Kansas, is a contractor and architect by occupation and his business headquarters are located at No. 828, Minnesota avenue. All his dealings have been characterized by fair and honorable methods and in all the relations of life his loyalty and public spirit have been of the most insistent order.
A son of Francis H. and Edmonia (Chamberlain) Taylor, the subject of this review was born near Boonville, Missouri, on the 17th of October, 1878. The father was a carpenter and cabinet-maker by trade, now living in Oklahoma, the mother having passed away in 1902. John C. Taylor was the sixth in order of birth in a family of seven children and he was reared to the age of ten years in his native place. In 1888 he accompanied his parents on their removal to Kansas City, where he completed his preliminary educational training. As a youth he entered upon an apprenticeship at the cabinet-maker's trade, under the able preceptorship of his father and for a number of years was associated with the latter in that line of work. In 1900 he decided to launch out into the business world on his own account and in that year opened an office at 937, Sandusky avenue, where he remained until the 1st of April, 1911, when he removed to his present commodious headquarters at 828 Minnesota avenue. His shop is well equipped with all kinds of wood-working machinery and in addition to his other work he is engaged in a general contracting and building business. In connection with his particular line of work he has built the addition to the Odd Fellows building, for which he also drew up the plans; and he erected the attractive residences of C. A. Dunham, J. D. Wright, J. W. Olander, W. S. Boylan, H. T. Howell, the district school No. 44, and many other private and public buildings. He has gained distinctive prestige as an architect and draws up the plans for many buildings in addition to those he constructs for himself. His business is conducted under the firm name of J. C. Taylor & Company and in recent years the work controlled by this concern has reached gigantic proportions. Mr. Taylor is a man of remarkable mechanical skill and it is worthy of note that the splendid success he has achieved is the direct result of his own well applied endeavors.
At Kansas City, Kansas, on the 26th of October, 1900, Mr. Taylor was united in marriage to Miss Myrtle Seward, who was born and reared at Kansas City, Kansas, and who is a daughter of Atwell and Nancy (Luddington) Seward, long representative citizens at Kansas City, Kansas. Mrs. Taylor is a cousin of General Luddington, of U. S. A. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor are the parents of four children, whose names are here entered in respective order of birth: Eilleen, Ferdinand, Laurel and Naomi, the three eldest of whom are attending school in Kansas City, Kansas. Mrs. Taylor is a woman of most gracious personality and she and her husband are popular factors in connection with the best social activities of the community in which they reside. Their spacious and attractive home is recognized as a center of refinement and generous hospitality and it has been the scene of many happy social gatherings.
In his political adherency Mr. Taylor votes independently and while he has never sought political preferment of any description he gives freely of his aid and influence in support of all measures and enterprises projected for the good of the general welfare. In a fraternal way he is affiliated with the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and in their religious faith the family are devout members of the Episcopal church, to whose philanthropic work he is a most liberal contributor.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project