CHARLES E. McMURRAY - The beautiful residence of Mr. McMurray, located at Forty-seventh and Pucket Road, modern in every particular and made of native grey stone from his Wyandotte quarry, attests to some slight degree his ability as a builder. Seven acres of his land are in fruit, the excellent quality of which has created a demand that the supply can scarcely equal. An artificial lake, well stocked with fish adds to the pleasures and attractiveness of this comfortable home.
Mr. McMurray is the son of John and Sylvia H. (Callens) McMurray (now deceased), who were substantial residents of Appanoose county, Iowa. His father was of Scotch and German descent, being a direct descendant of Commodore McMurray of Scotland, and his mother was of Irish extraction, these sturdy nationalities combining to make of Mr. McMurray one of those industrious and progressive American citizens that have furthered the advancement of Kansas. He was born near Moravia in Appanoose county, Iowa, October 3, 1856, where he passed the early years of his life, later attending both the grammar and high school at Boonesboro, Iowa, from which he graduated with high rank. When a young man he learned the carpenters' trade, and was also greatly interested in agriculture.
On April 11, 1878, he was united in marriage to the young daughter of Jeremiah and Adeline (Martin) Stone, both of prominent southern families, but who had removed to Missouri previous to the Civil war, Adeline Martin was a daughter of Brigadier General Phillip Martin. The union of Mr. and Mrs. McMurray has been blessed with two daughters: Ivy Noble, the wife of J. W. McAdams, of Sedalia, Missouri, and Myrtle Sylvia, wife of A. T. Wirtman, of Kansas City, Missouri, they also have an adopted son, Charles Edward, the son of their daughter, Mrs. Wirtman by a former marriage. Mr. McMurray engaged in the general merchandise business in Mercer county, Missouri, some few years after his marriage, removing to Kansas to engage in his chosen profession of contracting and building. But learning of the progress and the attendent possibilities of the state capital of Nebraska, he moved there, but his residence in Lincoln was of short duration and he returned to Kansas, his home by adoption, firmly convinced that the rich harvests, the commercial spirit and loyal citizenship that exists here can not be equaled, much less excelled elsewhere. He has continually kept abreast of the most up-to-date improvements in the building line, realizing that in no other way can he make a record for himself and add to the improvements and advancement of his city and state. He is now one of the prominent carpenters and builders of Wyandotte county. Although his operations have not been confined within any limits, his principal work has been in erecting factories, flats and residences of Kansas City.
Busy as Mr. McMurray has been contracting and erecting buildings, he has found spare moments to devote to the fraternal orders with which he is affiliated, being a member of Rosedale Blue Lodge, No. 333, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; the Order of Eastern Star, Abdiel Chapter, No. 267; and Kansas City Camp, No. 2002, Modern Woodmen of America. The Hydepark Christian church, in which he and his esteemable wife hold membership, likewise claims and receives a fair share of his time and attention. He is greatly interested in the municipal improvements of his community, having always given liberally of his time, money and influence to promote the interests of clean government. It is through these wide spread interests that Mr. McMurray has developed into the broad minded Christian gentleman so prominent in Rosedale's commercial and social life.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project